PDA

View Full Version : 8800gtx not performing right?

fizix
04-07-07, 04:35 PM
Hi all, new to the forums, greetings. Just spent my a few years savings on a new rig. My specs are as follows:
evga 8800gtx @ 630/1000
e6600 @3.3ghz
evga nforce 680i mobo
2x PC6400 800mhz ram 5-5-5-16
Forcware: 97.94
Hopefully not too bad of a setup from what I spent on it. The four games I have installed and tested at the moment are: Stalker, HL2, FEAR, and Dark Messiah. Now, HL2 and Dark Messiah run rather flawlessly at 1400x900 all settings maxxed in-game and in nvidia CP.

Stalker runs utlra smooth without dynamic lighting, but around 50-80+ FPS with it enabled, but I understand the current problems with stalker and its poor optimization. Fear, what I mostly anticipated playing before purchasing my new comp, runs smoothly until stuff actually starts happening.. IE: people shoot at me, I shoot back, etc.

It seems that whenever there is an excess of spark particles on the screen, I drop from satisfactory FPS to like in the 40s and 30s, and this is running at 1152x864 w/4x AF 0 AA! It's especially strange because at extremely intensive graphical moments during the game I can maintain 150-200+ fps but at random, on various maps and instances, my FPS drops to 40, but its more like a stutter, not a consistent drop, it soon regains its 150+ rate of fps.

Now I am not entirely convinced that this issue is limited to FEAR itself, but Im not sure, as in Dark Messiah I also do sometimes get FPS drops. Also, I use a 19' LCD and am debating whether to run games with vsync ON + tripple buffering enabled, can anyone divulge the advantages/disadvantages of using these settings turned on? Whether vsync is on or not, I still drop in FPS drastically; when there are sparks or people shooting at me in FEAR. I am using default stock cooling for GPU/CPU. My 3dmark06 score is 11,711 with default settings.

I was hoping that I wouldn't encounter any problems playing games with this system, especially at such low resolutions! Any, suggestions or advice, would be very much appreciated! I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum or too vague. Thank you!

Sazar
04-07-07, 04:59 PM
What operating system do you have?

kevJ420
04-07-07, 05:00 PM
Hi all, new to the forums, greetings. Just spent my a few years savings on a new rig. My specs are as follows:
evga 8800gtx @ 630/1000
e6600 @3.3ghz
evga nforce 680i mobo
2x PC6400 800mhz ram 5-5-5-16
Forcware: 97.94
Hopefully not too bad of a setup from what I spent on it. The four games I have installed and tested at the moment are: Stalker, HL2, FEAR, and Dark Messiah. Now, HL2 and Dark Messiah run rather flawlessly at 1400x900 all settings maxxed in-game and in nvidia CP.

Stalker runs utlra smooth without dynamic lighting, but around 50-80+ FPS with it enabled, but I understand the current problems with stalker and its poor optimization. Fear, what I mostly anticipated playing before purchasing my new comp, runs smoothly until stuff actually starts happening.. IE: people shoot at me, I shoot back, etc.

It seems that whenever there is an excess of spark particles on the screen, I drop from satisfactory FPS to like in the 40s and 30s, and this is running at 1152x864 w/4x AF 0 AA! It's especially strange because at extremely intensive graphical moments during the game I can maintain 150-200+ fps but at random, on various maps and instances, my FPS drops to 40, but its more like a stutter, not a consistent drop, it soon regains its 150+ rate of fps.

Now I am not entirely convinced that this issue is limited to FEAR itself, but Im not sure, as in Dark Messiah I also do sometimes get FPS drops. Also, I use a 19' LCD and am debating whether to run games with vsync ON + tripple buffering enabled, can anyone divulge the advantages/disadvantages of using these settings turned on? Whether vsync is on or not, I still drop in FPS drastically; when there are sparks or people shooting at me in FEAR. I am using default stock cooling for GPU/CPU. My 3dmark06 score is 11,711 with default settings.

I was hoping that I wouldn't encounter any problems playing games with this system, especially at such low resolutions! Any, suggestions or advice, would be very much appreciated! I apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum or too vague. Thank you!

Welcome to nvNews=)

1. One problem could be that you should try 96.89 for FEAR.
2. 50-80fps should be great for stalker,but I could be wrong.
3. vsync is what prevents tearing when moving and for best IQ it should be left on. If triple buffering is enabled, then you may not benefit from Vsync on.
Try DXtweaker or riva tuner for D3D triple buffering

fizix
04-07-07, 05:25 PM
thanks a ton for the driver recommendation kevpla;downloading 96.89 at the moment. Sazar, currently I am running Winxp Home edition, although I do have Vista premium, I recently uninstalled and reloaded XP. Will definitely give Vista another shot sometime soon, when more supportware is released, GPU-driver and OS related.

Xion X2
04-08-07, 05:40 PM
What is your power-supply make/model and your 12v rail amperage?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers first. There's a bug in them that makes games perform poorly after you first install them.

Triple-buffering should be enabled by default on the 8-series cards. You would know if it wasn't, because your framerate would immediately drop to half of your refresh rate occasionally. So take your refresh rate for your monitor, and if you see your game splitting your refresh rate then you need to run a 3rd party utility like DXTweaker. You can find it here on the forums.

But on a single card or SLI I've never had to use DXTweaker on my 8-series cards. Triple-buffering has always worked. This is one of the few driver improvements I've seen out of Nvidia w/ the 8-series cards. Even SLI triple buffers just fine when it didn't in the past.

Muppet
04-08-07, 09:31 PM
But on a single card or SLI I've never had to use DXTweaker on my 8-series cards. Triple-buffering has always worked. This is one of the few driver improvements I've seen out of Nvidia w/ the 8-series cards. Even SLI triple buffers just fine when it didn't in the past.
Wow that is great news, I had no idea triple buffering was working in SLI.

fizix
04-08-07, 11:09 PM
Xion, thanks for the help; tripple buffering was disabled in my Nvidia Control Panel, I enabled it, so I will see if that is what was causing the performance loss. I will also reinstall my drivers, would you recommend using driver cleaner pro after uninstalling inititally? My power supply is a Modular RX-630A 630 Watt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817152026
Also, a thought just occurred: While I was waiting for the g80 to come out, I had a friend who worked at Frys hold onto one, he took it from the back inventory and held it in the hardware maintenance section, this was like a week before it was released, before the mass recall. I'm not sure if they would've sent that one back and replaced it with the fixed one, considering that it was 'covertly' hiding with the rest of my rig (had to wait til release day to get it installed). Is it possible that, assuming I had a defective g80 that was not replaced with the correct transistors, the performance loss is caused because of that? Thanks for the help!

fizix
04-09-07, 12:06 AM
Reinstalled drivers, enabled tripple buffering in NV panel, the problem is completely fixed! Thanks a ton! I can now run Fear w/max settings at 1440x900 (used to get crazy fps drops at 1024x768) with tripple buffering and vsync on ultra-mega-smooth-as-liquid-silk ^ ^ heh. Again, thanks for the help. Another question though, does tripple buffering only help when vsync is enabled? Kinda confused because in the nvidia control panel, it says if you turn tripple buffering on, it will improve your performance when vsync is enabled, but kevpla stated the opposite? Thanks again for the help

Xion X2
04-09-07, 12:25 AM
Correct. Triple-buffering only works when vsync is enabled. Don't listen to kevpla.. he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Bokishi
04-09-07, 12:26 AM

It does work, and I'm amazed. No more need for DXtweaker and its odd crashing and punkbuster issues (nana2)

Xion X2
04-09-07, 12:32 AM

The only game it hasn't worked on so far is Rainbow Six Vegas. It works in Stalker, Oblivion, Vanguard, Tomb Raider Legend, and a lot of other games that I've tested. Nvidia got it right on this one.

Muppet
04-09-07, 03:06 AM
The only game it hasn't worked on so far is Rainbow Six Vegas. It works in Stalker, Oblivion, Vanguard, Tomb Raider Legend, and a lot of other games that I've tested. Nvidia got it right on this one.
I just tried it on Stalker and it made a big difference. This is so cool, it's almost like a new toy to play with. :D

SwedX
04-09-07, 05:52 AM
Here you can read up on V-sync/ TB and more how it all works!
It's a long read but man that guy is awesome, so just head over to TweakGuides for all your needs :)

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

And Xion X2 is totaly right, dont ever listen to kevpla couse he knows nothing!
Best for him is to just STFUK and not give ppl advice when he knows jack!

It's just pissing me off when some ppl who dont know what they talking about gives advice who only give more problem then it helps!

fizix
04-09-07, 04:33 PM
Here you can read up on V-sync/ TB and more how it all works!
It's a long read but man that guy is awesome, so just head over to TweakGuides for all your needs :)

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

And Xion X2 is totaly right, dont ever listen to kevpla couse he knows nothing!
Best for him is to just STFUK and not give ppl advice when he knows jack!

It's just pissing me off when some ppl who dont know what they talking about gives advice who only give more problem then it helps!

Thanks for the guide, that has a lot of good info and completely changed my perspective of what makes the game! Glad that people really know their stuff on this forum :D thanks again!

SwedX
04-09-07, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the guide, that has a lot of good info and completely changed my perspective of what makes the game! Glad that people really know their stuff on this forum :D thanks again!

Glad that you liked the guide and as I said that place is very good if one can have the patience to read up on it, that guy is doing a nice job and can give you great insight to how stuff works :)

You have an excellent guide for ATI/Nvidia drivers there aswell!

Im no pro by a long shoot tho but dont pretend to be eiter but many of these guys are so yes you come to the right place!