PDA

View Full Version : Will this Corsair 620W PSU do?

Joe Public
04-08-07, 09:17 AM
I'm in the process of setting up my new rig, which will be complete as soon as C2D prices drop in a few weeks. Only thing I haven't decided on is a PSU. I've had some Thermaltake Purepower PSUs, but I haven't been entirely happy with them as the 12V rails tended to become too unstable after some time in use.

Anyway, I'm looking at this 620W PSU (http://www.corsair.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html) which looks good by specs and a coupla reviews I've read. My rig isn't gonna be killer, it goes something like this:

Asus P5B-E
Core 2 Duo E6600
2 x 1GB Geil PC6400 memory
1 x 500GB S-ATA2 HDD (either WD or Samsung, not decided yet)
1 x DVD-burner.
Asus 8800GTS 640MB

As far as overclocking goes, I'll give it a whirl, but it won't be anything in the extreme, as the E6600 is fast enough for me as it is, as is the 8800GTS.

Well, all that aside, any thoughts on the PSU? It's the most expensive PSU I've ever considered buying, but I don't want to skimp on such an important component this time. I think it looks good, should I go for it?

Zelda_fan
04-08-07, 09:21 AM
One of the best PSUs on the Market. I personally use it in my rig. Very quiet, and it delivers it's rated specs at 50C. Competes with some 800W PSUs.

Xion X2
04-08-07, 10:23 AM
Should fit your system components perfectly.

snilloconator
04-08-07, 11:42 AM
I recommend the Corsair as well! You'll be pleased it's a great product!

SwedX
04-08-07, 01:34 PM
Of course it will do and do it more then fine :D
Corsair have showed that PSU with 2 8800GTS SLI watercooled so no problem at all!

I myself will get a Thermaltake 850W PSU for my upcoming 8800GTX as a just can slide in one more of this badass card in the future if i want!

Xion X2
04-08-07, 02:08 PM
I myself will get a Thermaltake 850W PSU for my upcoming 8800GTX as a just can slide in one more of this badass card in the future if i want!

Do yourself a favor and go with a better brand than Thermaltake if you're going to spend that kind of money. Go with a Silverstone, PCP&C, FSP Group, Seasonic, or OCZ.

TT power-supplies are poor quality.

SwedX
04-08-07, 04:14 PM
Do yourself a favor and go with a better brand than Thermaltake if you're going to spend that kind of money. Go with a Silverstone, PCP&C, FSP Group, Seasonic, or OCZ.

TT power-supplies are poor quality.

I just saw this model here in Sweden to a very good price and the rewievers seems to really like it..why do you think it stinks ?

My mind was first on a Silverstone but the price is soo damn high heheh..

Anyway check out this Termaltake review!
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=627&p=3

Quote"
The Thermaltake Toughpower 850w just could not do a thing wrong, as it worked flawlessly throughout the testing phase. This makes the Toughpower 850w an ideal product for those building gaming systems with the fastest available components. It has proven to be more than capable of supporting an SLI GeForce 8800 GTX system with more than enough juice (this PSU is actually NVIDIA SLI and ATI CrossFire certified). The power supply also worked flawlessly in an AMD Athlon64 5200+ system, coupled with the same SLI GeForce 8800 GTX configuration.

Overall when you add up all the features, the superior performance along with the excellent build quality and reasonable price, the Thermaltake Toughpower 850w is one hell of a power supply. The only regret I have when it came to testing this power supply, was not having enough hardware to load the test system with. The GeForce 8800 GTX SLI setup with the power hungry Intel QX6700 processor and four hard drives failed to even make this power supply blink. Therefore I am confident that the Toughpower 850w will serve all gamers well and should be up for just about any task. "

Xion X2
04-08-07, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'll retract my comment. It seems their new Toughpower models are better than they've been in the past.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=17&page_num=2

I would still go with one of the above-mentioned instead if you can afford it. TT's track record w/ power supplies is kinda "meh" but they may be turning it around with this model.

Joe Public
04-08-07, 04:24 PM
The Toughpower series seems more reliable than the Purepower. The latter has always given me trouble, I had a 410W one which died after 6 months and my current 680W one has developed very unstable 12V rails (they vary between 11.6 and 12.3V, which isn't good afaik).

SwedX
04-08-07, 05:46 PM
Okey thanks for you input guys!

So they have done a good job with this as it seems, so I will probably go for it then, I will screem in agony after if it sucks and I dident listen to you in the first place and went for a Silverstone or some else heheh ..

BTW thanks for the link Xion X2, seems to be really good and as I will go for the 850W things looking even better and to a bargain to :D

fasedww
04-09-07, 09:39 AM

TT power-supplies are poor quality.How about enermax libertys or infinitys also, seem to have good amps on the rails and have 80%+ effeiciency'.:captnkill:

911medic
04-09-07, 10:04 AM
I'm in the process of setting up my new rig, which will be complete as soon as C2D prices drop in a few weeks. Only thing I haven't decided on is a PSU. I've had some Thermaltake Purepower PSUs, but I haven't been entirely happy with them as the 12V rails tended to become too unstable after some time in use.

Anyway, I'm looking at this 620W PSU (http://www.corsair.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html) which looks good by specs and a coupla reviews I've read. My rig isn't gonna be killer, it goes something like this:

Asus P5B-E
Core 2 Duo E6600
2 x 1GB Geil PC6400 memory
1 x 500GB S-ATA2 HDD (either WD or Samsung, not decided yet)
1 x DVD-burner.
Asus 8800GTS 640MB

As far as overclocking goes, I'll give it a whirl, but it won't be anything in the extreme, as the E6600 is fast enough for me as it is, as is the 8800GTS.

Well, all that aside, any thoughts on the PSU? It's the most expensive PSU I've ever considered buying, but I don't want to skimp on such an important component this time. I think it looks good, should I go for it?
I have a similar setup, and am running the 520W Corsair, no problems. If you're thinking SLI in the future, the 620 is probably a good idea.

About the P5B-E, try to make sure you get a rev. 1.02G; as it offers more voltage adjustments if you do ever decide to OC. I have the 1.01G, and while it's adequate, it's left me wishing for more BIOS options for OCing.

Xion X2
04-09-07, 10:47 AM
How about enermax libertys or infinitys also, seem to have good amps on the rails and have 80%+ effeiciency'.:captnkill:

Enermax makes good power-supplies. Just whatever you do, do not go with a dual 12v rail. That goes for any company.

Joe Public
04-09-07, 11:22 AM
I have a similar setup, and am running the 520W Corsair, no problems. If you're thinking SLI in the future, the 620 is probably a good idea.

Yeah, I could probably do with a 520W as well, but I figgered I'd buy one that'd last me for a while, so I'll go for the 620 one.

About the P5B-E, try to make sure you get a rev. 1.02G; as it offers more voltage adjustments if you do ever decide to OC. I have the 1.01G, and while it's adequate, it's left me wishing for more BIOS options for OCing.

Well, I'll probably OC the rig, as I usually can't keep myself from doing it. :D If the CPU and mainboard can do 3 GHz I'd be happy enough, but I'll inquire about the revision, it'll be easy as I have a coupla people I know at the place where I buy my stuff.

fasedww
04-09-07, 12:16 PM
Enermax makes good power-supplies. Just whatever you do, do not go with a dual 12v rail. That goes for any company.I got a 500watt liberty for my second rig with a e6300 at 2.7, 2gigs of ram, and a evga 8800gts 320meg, it has 22 amps on both rails:)

911medic
04-10-07, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I could probably do with a 520W as well, but I figgered I'd buy one that'd last me for a while, so I'll go for the 620 one.

Well, I'll probably OC the rig, as I usually can't keep myself from doing it. :D If the CPU and mainboard can do 3 GHz I'd be happy enough, but I'll inquire about the revision, it'll be easy as I have a coupla people I know at the place where I buy my stuff.Sounds like you've got it covered. I used NewEgg, so it was luck of the draw for me. My dad ordered about 2 weeks later, and got the newer revision; go figure. The 1.01G has gotten me to 3GHz, so it may be OK for you, if you don't have the option.

fasedww
04-14-07, 05:54 PM
I just orered a pc&pc 750 watt quad, copper finish, seems like a pretty capable power supply 60 watt single rail. bought from pc&pc little cheaper than from newegg. Almost bought it from newegg too'.:captnkill: