PDA

View Full Version : How well does JK2 work? and UT open GL engine?

kevJ420
04-08-07, 10:46 PM
Hello, does JK2 work perfectly with the 8800gtx with any drivers?

I'd kind of like to buy the new collection, but I'm worried it might have a ****load of fog covering up the distance, or crash, or some **** like that w/ the 8800GTX.

It'd be greatly appreciated if someone could share how their experiences w/ JK2 are on the 8800 GTX.

Now the 2nd part of this thread:

I'd like to buy Midway's Unreal Anthology.

There was an unofficial original Unreal/UT engine mod that used the Open GL API. So, does that work perfectly on the 8800 GTX? Is it better than running it in the official D3D mode? Has anyone had any issues with Unreal on the 8800 GTX? Will it look better than it did on my voodoo2 way back in 98?

|MaguS|
04-08-07, 11:06 PM
JK2 works as long as you edit the ini, theres a bug in the saber lighting... once fixed it works flawlessly at high settings with AA and AF.

Redeemed
04-08-07, 11:51 PM
By JK2 do you mean Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast or are you referring to Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

If you are referring to JK: Jedi Outcast- it works flawlessly on my 8800GTS- though I did have to download the latest patch. As for Jedi Academy- have yet to try it on my GTS.

Bokishi
04-10-07, 06:51 PM
I've had many problems getting my 8800 GTX to run the original Jedi Knight with hardware acceleration on. Is it just that the game is too old?

Redeemed
04-10-07, 06:55 PM
I've had many problems getting my 8800 GTX to run the original Jedi Knight with hardware acceleration on. Is it just that the game is too old?

The original Jedi Knight- as in Dark Forces II?

If so, I doubt it. I'm betting that even if you did get hardware acceleration to work the majority of the work would be done by your proc. There really isn't much about Dark Forces II (the original Jedi Knight) to need hardware acceleration for anymore.

But yeah, it is probably just an issue with the video card being too new. Hate it when that happens. :(

kevJ420
04-10-07, 07:21 PM

Try to send nvidia a bug report.

That's disturbing.

No matter how old it it, its a timeless classic.

kevJ420
04-10-07, 07:24 PM
The original Jedi Knight- as in Dark Forces II?

If so, I doubt it. I'm betting that even if you did get hardware acceleration to work the majority of the work would be done by your proc. There really isn't much about Dark Forces II (the original Jedi Knight) to need hardware acceleration for anymore.

But yeah, it is probably just an issue with the video card being too new. Hate it when that happens. :(

I don't get what you're saying about the majority of the work would be done by the cpu?

Try to fill me in on all the details.

I'm really worried about this and I'm very grateful to you and everyone else here.

Bokishi
04-11-07, 03:32 AM
Software mode will run off the CPU, while HW accelerated mode will run off the GPU, which is borked with the 8800. Maybe not anymore with the latest drivers, haven't tested yet.

Redeemed
04-11-07, 04:31 AM
Software mode will run off the CPU, while HW accelerated mode will run off the GPU, which is borked with the 8800. Maybe not anymore with the latest drivers, haven't tested yet.

Not necessarily. A lot of that is determined in the driver. If there really isn't a sufficient work load for the GPU- the CPU takes care of it. With a game that old, I believe this is what would happen.

Even if you got "Hardware Acceleration" to work, the actual work load would probably be done by the CPU- as all the functions necessary the CPU is fully capable of.

kevJ420
04-11-07, 10:07 AM
I'm going to try it for myself soon hopefully. [This isn't anger towards any of you, you're all cool]]

If it doesn't work 100% in HW mode, I hope I'll have a heart attack and die from it, right after I find that it doesn't work 100%.

I know it's an old game and all, but some games are timeless ****ing classics and they shouldn't be handicapped on any video card that comes out after it.

Whereas I was once hoping to play old games with better graphics as time went on, it now seems like I won't be enjoying them at all.

SW mode sucks, any way it's looked at.

That's why GPU's were made.

I was going to say something else, but I'll get flamed for it so I'm not going to say it.