PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades

nV`andrew
04-08-07, 11:48 PM
Hey, so my friend got into vanguard. his system is agp and was running on integrated UGI crap so i put in my 6600 256MB in there for him. I also threw in a complimentary half gig of ram (:cool:) but there is only two slots on his mobo. its an ASUS but this comp is a damn HP so upgrades are little tight. i think its micro atx but it looks the same size as my old dell which fits an atx psu so maybe its just a small case.

so his specs are:

AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton
1GB of PC3200
Some asus mobo with 2 ram slots and an agp slot
PNY GeForce 6600 256mb
250W (omg) PSU

so i have vanguard set to high performance for him, and it actually runs OKAY. but in battles it obviously lags. his budget is about $200. he'll probably just be playing vanguard mainly so he doesnt need to really switch to pci-e/direct x10.

so theres the 7600GS AGP for ~100 on the egg. then theres a 1 gig stick of G.skill thats about $70, and he could up the power supply for about $40.

so then he would be at 1.5gb of ram and the 7600, and could probably up it to ''High Performance" settings and play fine? or is there a better route, such as a processor because someone said vanguard is cpu-based. oh and he doesnt player any higher than 1280x1024.

any suggestions/links are appreciated. thanks

Redeemed
04-09-07, 12:02 AM
Hey, so my friend got into vanguard. his system is agp and was running on integrated UGI crap so i put in my 6600 256MB in there for him. I also threw in a complimentary half gig of ram (:cool:) but there is only two slots on his mobo. its an ASUS but this comp is a damn HP so upgrades are little tight. i think its micro atx but it looks the same size as my old dell which fits an atx psu so maybe its just a small case.

so his specs are:

AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton
1GB of PC3200
Some asus mobo with 2 ram slots and an agp slot
PNY GeForce 6600 256mb
250W (omg) PSU

so i have vanguard set to high performance for him, and it actually runs OKAY. but in battles it obviously lags. his budget is about $200. he'll probably just be playing vanguard mainly so he doesnt need to really switch to pci-e/direct x10.

so theres the 7600GS AGP for ~100 on the egg. then theres a 1 gig stick of G.skill thats about $70, and he could up the power supply for about $40.

so then he would be at 1.5gb of ram and the 7600, and could probably up it to ''High Performance" settings and play fine? or is there a better route, such as a processor because someone said vanguard is cpu-based. oh and he doesnt player any higher than 1280x1024.

any suggestions/links are appreciated. thanks

He cannot get a faster processor- the 3200 was the fastest made for SocketA (462). You are probably best off with what you were thinking- the 7600, a gig of ram, and new power supply. That is about the best he could do within that budget.

Redeemed
04-09-07, 12:03 AM
If he does want some more cpu power- he could get some really decent after market cooler, and some beefier case fans- and try oc'ing the proc. But if I recall correctly you'll be lucky to hit 2.4Ghz with that 3200- so it really wouldn't be worth it.

nV`andrew
04-09-07, 09:46 AM
alright thanks for the response. any other suggestions are welcome but this seems like it will be one of the only ways to go.