PDA

View Full Version : To Raid or not to raid: That is the question

Viventis
04-09-07, 01:08 PM
As title says, I need a hard drive and am thinking about getting more than one to do a raid array.

What are the real life advantages to a raid 0 settup for a home/game computer? I understand how raid 0,1 0+1, and 5 work. But how does it work in real life with Windows and game startup and in session times?

DiscipleDOC
04-09-07, 01:23 PM
As title says, I need a hard drive and am thinking about getting more than one to do a raid array.

What are the real life advantages to a raid 0 settup for a home/game computer? I understand how raid 0,1 0+1, and 5 work. But how does it work in real life with Windows and game startup and in session times?
You can buy a raptor drive and it will be just as fast as raid. Or, you can buy two raptors (74gb) and be really fast. That will be one of my moves when I do finally go to Vista.

buffbiff21
04-09-07, 01:34 PM
You can buy a raptor drive and it will be just as fast as raid. Or, you can buy two raptors (74gb) and be really fast. That will be one of my moves when I do finally go to Vista.

Or you can wait till SDRAM drives become cheaper ;)

But honestly, if I were to raid anything, it would be my 320gb Seagates and ditch my Raptor. Less noise, more gb/$, less power consumption than any 10k drives of equal gb amount, etc..

Also, I think you would be better off going with a RAID 1 setup. RAID 0 is mainly for write speeds while 1 is read speeds. (read is better for boot and games)

SLippe
04-09-07, 02:00 PM
I love my Raid-0 array. No regrets here.

Viventis
04-09-07, 02:22 PM
I love my Raid-0 array. No regrets here.

Slippe:

How much does your Raid 0 setup speed up your loads and disk access tasks? Is it like night and day? 25% faster? Is there any application or program where it makes a huge difference?

(BTW: I love my Opteron 170)

hokeyplyr48
04-09-07, 02:53 PM
wait, i thought raid 1 was just mirroring. wouldn't that be slower in general since it's writing everything twice?

buffbiff21
04-09-07, 03:16 PM
wait, i thought raid 1 was just mirroring. wouldn't that be slower in general since it's writing everything twice?
No. Write speed would be essentially the same, if you havetwo of the same drives both in the same array.

READ speed is where it benefits - there are two sources to draw the data from. So, when you get the occasional frame burp in Oblivion, those frame burps will be reduced if running RAID1.

It really boggles me why people RAID0 drives... :o

Slammin
04-10-07, 12:49 AM
Also, I think you would be better off going with a RAID 1 setup. RAID 0 is mainly for write speeds while 1 is read speeds. (read is better for boot and games)

Huh? RAID 1 does nothing any faster than a single drive. RAID 0 increases read and write speeds significantly.

Bman212121
04-10-07, 01:21 AM
Huh? RAID 1 does nothing any faster than a single drive. RAID 0 increases read and write speeds significantly.

Actually, read speeds should be increased because you can read information from both drives. I'm not sure if there is a performance gain on a software based card, but I'm pretty sure there is on a hardware based one.

RAID 1: Mirrored Set (2 disks minimum, and usually exactly 2) without parity: provides fault tolerance from disk errors and single disk failure. Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, very small performance reduction when writing. Array continues to operate with one failed drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

SLippe
04-10-07, 02:28 AM
No. Write speed would be essentially the same, if you havetwo of the same drives both in the same array.

READ speed is where it benefits - there are two sources to draw the data from. So, when you get the occasional frame burp in Oblivion, those frame burps will be reduced if running RAID1.

It really boggles me why people RAID0 drives... :o
RAID 0 is faster than RAID 1.

And yes, whomever asked me about the night and day performance...yes. Everything loads faster. I love it!

Funny, I started a Thread with a similar title last June;
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71821

Some pretty helpful stuff in there, you might want to take a look.

Amuro
04-10-07, 03:23 AM
I heard that RAID 0 can negatively impact games.

SLippe
04-10-07, 04:07 AM
Hasn't bothered any games I've played.

lduguay
04-10-07, 07:38 AM
Hmm, doubt it, link?
With the current onboard raid controllers, RAID 1 has no read or write performance benefits.
RAID 0 is great unless you overclock too much. I was using RAID 0 with 3x76GB Raptors for about 18 months. When i moved to C2D and started overclocking i ran into major HD corruption. Moved back to single spindles and never looked back.:(

lduguay
04-10-07, 07:57 AM
Actually, read speeds should be increased because you can read information from both drives. I'm not sure if there is a performance gain on a software based card, but I'm pretty sure there is on a hardware based one.

RAID 1: Mirrored Set (2 disks minimum, and usually exactly 2) without parity: provides fault tolerance from disk errors and single disk failure. Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, very small performance reduction when writing. Array continues to operate with one failed drive.

Interesting concept, but to my knowledge, you would need a specialized hardware RAID controller card for that. I know that some Adaptec and PERC RAID controller supports limited multi drive segmented read in RAID 1. Although in the real world, i have yet to see any performance gain.
We setup our database servers in RAID 0+1 (8x15K drives+ 1 hot spare). You get fault tolerance and major performance gains. RAID 5 is another (cheaper) option, but write performance is not stellar.

The OS is normally not involved in splitting seeks unless you use a software RAID 1 solution. (Which is actually less reliable than non RAID).
This Wiki bit is a bit outdated, try to name one current general purpose OS that is not multithreaded ;)

Dr.Nick
04-10-07, 01:30 PM

It's been the exact opposite for me. There is a massive difference in loading times in favor of raid and reduced stuttering/pauses overall.

To be honest, I have been amazed in the overall difference it has made. I'm running 2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB drives in a raid 0 array using the on board Intel controller. Here's a quick bench a ran not long ago;
http://users.rcn.com/impala71/HD%20Tach%20Long%20Test.JPG

Slammin
04-11-07, 12:42 AM

Dude, you are making some completely false statements.