PDA

View Full Version : What's a good PSU for under $80 for a 8 Series card?

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 10:27 AM
I plan to shop at newegg and I want to get a single 8800GTS or 8800GTX, but I think im going to need a new PSU for my PC. I don't want to spend a crap load of money on one so don't tell me to buy a expensive power supply.

Xion X2
04-10-07, 10:50 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103437

That's about as cheap as you're going to get for a good quality power-supply. For less than 80$, you're going to end up with something cheap that will burn out on you from running high-end performance parts. With a 600$ graphics card like the GTX, you shouldn't chance bad power being fed to it. It's worth the extra 30 bucks to go with a good quality make/model.

Whatever you decide to go with, make sure it does not have two 12V rails. A single or more than two are fine, however.

Amuro
04-10-07, 10:57 AM
Don't go cheap on power supply. Reliable power is very important for a rig like that, especially if you plan to overclock at all. $80 would probably get you a 400W PSU but that's obviously not enough.

Toss3
04-10-07, 11:05 AM
I guess an antec or hiper PSU would do for a single 8800gtx, as both companies have SLi certified products for the top cards(guess this just shows that their products aren't complete crap). So get the best one you can afford of those! :) Enermax has some good ones also, but I read through some reviews and it seemed like some of their low-end stuff breaks pretty easily. :-/

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 11:18 AM
I just can't pay over a hundred on a PSU...just way to much money for a freaking power supply. I'll look for a cheap one and see how long it lasts me and read some reviews on newegg.

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 11:24 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103437

That's about as cheap as you're going to get for a good quality power-supply. For less than 80$, you're going to end up with something cheap that will burn out on you from running high-end performance parts. With a 600$ graphics card like the GTX, you shouldn't chance bad power being fed to it. It's worth the extra 30 bucks to go with a good quality make/model.

Whatever you decide to go with, make sure it does not have two 12V rails. A single or more than two are fine, however.

What is wrong with dual rails?

Xion X2
04-10-07, 11:28 AM
I just can't pay over a hundred on a PSU...just way to much money for a freaking power supply. I'll look for a cheap one and see how long it lasts me and read some reviews on newegg.
To each his own. It's your money, and you're the one who's chancing it. Personally, I don't see any sense in spending so much money on a card if you're not willing to properly safeguard it from damage.

There are all sorts of factors to consider here. A cheap PSU could have a bad ripple under load that can damage your motherboard, memory, and all kinds of components. The stream of power being fed to your components needs to be clean and constant in order to ensure safe operation.

You don't want to go cheap with a power-supply.

Xion X2
04-10-07, 11:29 AM
What is wrong with dual rails?

Dual-rails bottleneck systems because the entire 1st 12v rail can only run the processor. That leaves you with half the advertised amps to run everything else off of; you cannot use the excess amperage off the first rail like you can on a single-rail if the processor doesn't hog up to 18A (which in most cases doesn't.)

PSUs with 3 rails or more don't present as much of a bottleneck because you have an additional rail to pull power from.

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 11:30 AM
OK I quess i'll just have to settle for a GTS and get a better PSU. OK so now can you pick out a good PSU for me since I plan to up my price on a PSU?

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 11:43 AM
any good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104018

Xion X2
04-10-07, 12:02 PM
any good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104018

Yeah. FSPGroup makes good PSUs. FSP, Enermax, Silverstone, PCPower&Cooling, Seasonic, OCZ, Zippy. These are the companies you want to stick with for rigs equipped w/ high-performance parts.

[Edit: There's something you should know about multi-rail PSUs, however. On many of them they place the PCI-E connectors on a single 12V rail. I don't know if that's the case with this one or not; it doesn't say. But if that happens then it could *possibly* introduce a bottleneck if you overclock your card heavily. Not likely, but it could. This could be easily solved, however, by using the y-adapter in the box your graphics card came in along w/ one of the PCI-E connectors. One PCI-E, one Y. If your card starts artifacting or you start to get lockups/shutdowns, then simply use the adapter instead of both PCI-Es, but I would start out with using those.

Not trying to confuse you, but this is something anyone with a multi-rail PSU should be aware of. With today's high-performance graphics cards, sometimes a single rail can experience an overload. I think in this case you should be alright, because FSP, from what I've heard, underrates the amperage on their 12V rails. And the GTS/GTX shouldn't take up that much amperage, anyway. But it's something to think about if you plan on hanging onto the PSU for a while and a new graphics card comes out in the future that requires even more power.

For a simpler solution, you can go with the single-rail Enermax that I linked you to earlier. One large 36A rail that all of your components can pull from equally.]

|MaguS|
04-10-07, 12:23 PM
I will vouch for Silverstone, Seasonic and Forton. I have used a PSU from them and they have always been stable.

CaptNKILL
04-10-07, 12:24 PM
I can vouch for OCZ's GameXStream PSUs. My 700W is awesome.

Then again, I and several others ran GTXs (even SLI) on quality Dual Rail power supplies, so I don't know if they are really as picky as everyone says.

Still, get the best you can afford. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Cyant
04-10-07, 04:51 PM
if your current PSU is good enough to power your system and you just want to add a bigger video card this is also a very good alternative:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153037

This will power the 2x 6 pin connector needed for the 8800GTX and your current system PSU will power the CPU / Drives / Fans and motherboard.

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 06:01 PM
if your current PSU is good enough to power your system and you just want to add a bigger video card this is also a very good alternative:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153037

This will power the 2x 6 pin connector needed for the 8800GTX and your current system PSU will power the CPU / Drives / Fans and motherboard.

hmm.....that looks cool and it's cheap. Anyone here use this PSU before?

*EDIT* reading one of the reviews and this don't work with the 8 series.

Xion X2
04-10-07, 06:07 PM
Cyant, have you used that PSU? I recall a few guys around here who bought it at launch and said that it didn't work that well w/ the G80s.

FSP has/had one out too called the "Booster." Maybe it was that one I'm thinking about. Can't remember.

Apollo 13
04-10-07, 06:11 PM
Cyant, have you used that PSU? I recall a few guys around here who bought it at launch and said that it didn't work that well w/ the G80s.

FSP has/had one out too called the "Booster." Maybe it was that one I'm thinking about. Can't remember.

some of the reviews guys are running it with a 8 series but I'v only found 1 person that said it didn't work.

ViN86
04-10-07, 06:20 PM
I plan to shop at newegg and I want to get a single 8800GTS or 8800GTX, but I think im going to need a new PSU for my PC. I don't want to spend a crap load of money on one so don't tell me to buy a expensive power supply.

a sub-$80 PSU for a 8800GTX is like putting regular unleaded gas in a ferrari :|

Cyant
04-10-07, 06:26 PM
I personally don't have one (I run 2 normal PSU's instead) but I know someone who has one and it work no problem with his 8800GTX.

The 8800GTX need the 75W from the PCI-Express slot wich will be provided by the main PSU. And 2x 6 pin connectors each capable of providing 75W for a total of 150W.

This Graphic card PSU has 2x 6 pin connectors. Each connector is on it's own rail 12v1 12v2. The total output of the unit is capable of giving out is 250W with small peaks of 300w.

Since the first 75w is taken care by the motherboard slot so the Main PSU the graphic card dedicated PSU only need to give around 150W total if running at full load.

Edit---
Of course what I say is your main PSU must be able to handle your system + 75W. if you already have a video card with a 6 pin conenctor like a 7800/7900 then there is no question your current PSU is already enough to provide that first 75W needed.

If he was riuunning a 350W PSU with a radeon x1300 then yeah there would be chances it wouldnt be nough because his main PSU would be lacking for that PCI-Express slot power needed. But hes already running a 7800GT, there is no question in my mind his PSU + that thermaltake one is all he need for a 8800GTX.

This graphic card PSuUis more than enough to run a 8800GTX or 2 GTS in SLI since it doesn't output all the power the card use but 2/3 in the case of a GTX and 1/2 in the case of a GTS.

He can also do like me and get a small 350W PSU he might have on hand already, short pin 14 on the ATX connector to one of the ground (pin 15) to power it up and use the second PSU to power the video card and a couple of hard drives. =)

Xion X2
04-10-07, 09:27 PM
Good info, Cyant. Thanks!

jcrox
04-10-07, 10:04 PM
I know quite a few people that use Ultra x-finity 500w and 600w power supplies from tiger direct with their 8800 cards with no problems what so ever. And they're under $80.

As for the dual rail technology, depends on the manufacturer...here's a quote for ya:

"Instead of running just the CPU(s) off the 12V2 rail and everything else off the 12V1 rail, Ultra has wisely divided the PCI-e loads over both rails. This means that you can easily load a pair of 7900GT's, a dual core CPU, multiple drives, fans and lights and not have to worry about pushing the 12V1 rail out of spec."

john19055
04-10-07, 11:22 PM
You basicaly get what you pay for ,if you buy a cheap power supply,then you will have problems ,because the 8800GTX needs power,I would at least spend $150 on a good power supply so you do not have problems in the future.