PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Radio on the Wii, PS3 and X360 (soon)

OWA
04-11-07, 08:18 AM
Has anyone in the US tried this? Just wondering how well it'll work (or if it'll work) since Virgin seems to be based in the UK. Another thing I'm wondering about is if it installs some sort of player or if it just uses whatever current capability the console has.

If it's got a speaker on it, we want it to be playing Virgin Radio.

Which is why we can turn your two-hundred-quid Wii, or your three-hundred-quid Playstation 3, into a five quid radio - with three easy steps.

Open the internet browser on your PS3 or your Wii
Go to virginradio.co.uk/listen
Hit the "Listen now" button

It couldn't be less complicated than that. And the good news is - we'll sound excellent on it, because you'll get our best bitrate.

Give your games console something useful to be doing, instead of playing Wii Sports/Motorstorm (delete as applicable).

Another Virgin Radio first
First radio station to stream on Nintendo Wii and Sony PS3 - 10th April 2007

Got an X-Box 360? We've not forgotten you, and are working on a solution for that games console too.

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/listen/games_consoles/

Lyme
04-11-07, 11:38 AM
"Give your games console something useful to be doing, instead of playing Wii Sports/Motorstorm (delete as applicable)."

It annoys me to no end when other people presume to decide what is and what is not useful when it comes to my free time.

OWA
04-11-07, 11:47 AM
I think they were just joking...but maybe you are also? :)

From a blurb I saw on [H], it seems like they're just streaming MP3s to the consoles so I don't think any additional software will be installed. I guess I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

Lyme
04-11-07, 12:59 PM
Those who do marketing should know that text does a very bad job of expressing emotional intent unless specifically stated.

OWA
04-11-07, 05:26 PM
Sure but I thought the "delete as applicable" on two of the more popular games was a good clue-in to the tongue-n-cheek nature.

Edti: I'm giving it a shot now. The sound quality is okay but I'd rather it be something that gets minimized and ran in the background. It's much like going to any web page and streaming a song, video, etc.

Bman212121
04-11-07, 05:41 PM
Sure but I thought the "delete as applicable" on two of the more popular games was a good clue-in to the tongue-n-cheek nature.

Edti: I'm giving it a shot now. The sound quality is okay but I'd rather it be something that gets minimized and ran in the background. It's much like going to any web page and streaming a song, video, etc.

It will stop playing if you try to leave the browser then? I'm not sure if you can minimize the browser, but that is probably the only way it would work.

OWA
04-11-07, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure. For now I just kind of left it there running the player. I don't think I've ever tried to minimize the browser but I have read about some trick where you can send it to the background. I haven't tried that though.

Edit: Hitting the PS button (the trick I read about) works. It sends the browser to the background so you can move around in the XMB. Not sure what how much you can do in the XMB though. I haven't tried anything yet except navigate around.

Bman212121
04-11-07, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure. For now I just kind of left it there running the player. I don't think I've ever tried to minimize the browser but I have read about some trick where you can send it to the background. I haven't tried that though.

Edit: Hitting the PS button (the trick I read about) works. It sends the browser to the background so you can move around in the XMB. Not sure what how much you can do in the XMB though. I haven't tried anything yet except navigate around.

IIRC you can play music (Which doesn't matter) and go into some settings, and I think the PS store as well. You can't play a DVD or launch a game.

Peoples-Agent
04-11-07, 06:18 PM
..... and it other news, "Man reaches over, turns on radio..... turns head back to console."

Like that was an effort.

No wonder people are getting so fat these days.

OWA
04-11-07, 06:28 PM
Except that I don't currently have a radio. :) I have an AV receiver that has a tuner but it's currently boxed up. So, the only time I have access to a radio these days is when I'm in my car/truck. I usually just set WMP to random play and that how I listen to music but this radio station does provide a change of pace...of course, with commercials though.