PDA

View Full Version : Asus Crosshair

Pages : [1] 2

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 09:17 AM
This board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131593) looks really really sweet....but is it worth $239?

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-593-07.jpg

Tr1cK
04-11-07, 09:36 AM
This board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131593) looks really really sweet....but is it worth $239?

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-593-07.jpg

IMO, AM2 is not worth it at this time.

stevemedes
04-11-07, 09:50 AM
No

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 09:52 AM
Well, what about the M2N32-SLI?

I need a good motherboard for this 6000+ (I got it in my hands btw:thumbsup:), and I don't think this current mobo is it.

stevemedes
04-11-07, 10:25 AM
Well, what about the M2N32-SLI?

I need a good motherboard for this 6000+ (I got it in my hands btw:thumbsup:), and I don't think this current mobo is it.

So you spent 240 on a new CPU and now u want a new mobo?
and you didnt go c2d why?

but anyway back OT, i head good things about the m2n32-sli

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 10:28 AM
So you spent 240 on a new CPU and now u want a new mobo?
and you didnt go c2d why?
Honestly, I'm happy with staying with the A64 platform...no particular reason.

And I was planning on keeping this setup that I have, but I just don't think this mobo is gonna be a good fit for my purposes....

Redeemed
04-11-07, 02:14 PM
Yes, the CrossHair is an awesome motherboard! :p

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=285&type=expert&pid=1

Really, most any review I've read seems to give more praise than anything towards this mobo. I'd grab this mobo if I were you DD. ;)

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 02:26 PM
Yes, the CrossHair is an awesome motherboard! :p

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=285&type=expert&pid=1

Really, most any review I've read seems to give more praise than anything towards this mobo. I'd grab this mobo if I were you DD. ;)
Yea...I've been doing some reading and this motherboard rocks! I'm gonna get it next week. My financial advisor (my fiance) told me that I spent enough moolah for this week....

Tr1cK
04-11-07, 02:33 PM
Well since you already bought the chip, buy the board if it tickles your fancy.

kevJ420
04-11-07, 02:40 PM
Yea...I've been doing some reading and this motherboard rocks! I'm gonna get it next week. My financial advisor (my fiance) told me that I spent enough moolah for this week....

I hope you have a great wedding=) Thanks for correcting me in a much nicer way than others. I can definately tell you're a hardcore christian=) I consider myself a messianic jew, since I like the jewish religion best, but I think it's best to give Christ favoring b/c if someone's not sure about something, then they should be positive and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anyways, my personal advice for the motherboard would be an asus 680a based board, but my parent's computer has an Asus Crossfire 3200, so I think that would might be a better idea if SLI isn't a concern. It runs extremly cool and it's very solid. The thing that's so amazing about it is it uses only passive cooling.

I was biased against Intel, since mid-99 when the 1st born Athlon came into our world, all the way up until the Core 2 came out.

Xion X2
04-11-07, 03:01 PM
I hope you have a great wedding=) Thanks for correcting me in a much nicer way than others. I can definately tell you're a hardcore christian=) I consider myself a messianic jew, since I like the jewish religion best, but I think it's best to give Christ favoring b/c if someone's not sure about something, then they should be positive and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anyways, my personal advice for the motherboard would be an asus 680a based board, but my parent's computer has an Asus Crossfire 3200, so I think that would might be a better idea if SLI isn't a concern. It runs extremly cool and it's very solid. The thing that's so amazing about it is it uses only passive cooling.

I was biased against Intel, since mid-99 when the 1st born Athlon came into our world, all the way up until the Core 2 came out.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=25025&stc=1&d=1176321637

kevJ420
04-11-07, 03:08 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=25025&stc=1&d=1176321637

Sorry. I'm sorry. But this was someone else's thread, so I thought I'd help out and try to make sense.

that was a positive post and I personally can't find anything said in my post that doesn't make sense. And it's not due to mental retardation.

Xion X2
04-11-07, 03:13 PM
It's just that it was waaay off topic. That's something you mention to someone in a PM--not in the middle of a thread talking about motherboards.

I'm sure that Doc appreciates your comment, but next time you may want to PM him instead so this thread can stay on-topic and doesn't turn into yet another religious debate. ;)

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 03:47 PM
It's just that it was waaay off topic. That's something you mention to someone in a PM--not in the middle of a thread talking about motherboards.

I'm sure that Doc appreciates your comment, but next time you may want to PM him instead so this thread can stay on-topic and doesn't turn into yet another religious debate. ;)
BFT.
Anyway, I'm going to see how this baby works tonight. If I see that my motherboard is not going to work for this chip, then I'm going to get the crosshair.

CybrSage
04-11-07, 03:52 PM

Some of us cannot currently get into the Political/Religious forum right now...is this the new defacto one?

:D

Good luck on the new board DD. I had nothing to add, so did not.

Redeemed
04-11-07, 03:57 PM
Some of us cannot currently get into the Political/Religious forum right now...is this the new defacto one?

:D

Good luck on the new board DD. I had nothing to add, so did not.

LOL

I can access the P&R forum just fine. I guess I'll have to post twice as much just for you Cyber. :p

Tr1cK
04-11-07, 03:59 PM
GL Doc...my new parts are sitting in my kitchen waiting on the PSU and DVDR to arrive. I'm so anxious! :captnkill:

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 04:20 PM
Why do you think your current motherboard isn't up to the task? Looks like a good board to me.
Most of the reviews I read about the crosshair said that this board is designed for gaming. The quality of sound, the back panel LED's, are just a couple of things that makes this board so tastey.

I will see how my current board holds out before I do make a purchase....

stevemedes
04-11-07, 05:15 PM
I dont buy into that whole Republic of gamers garbage. If you want good sound, just get an xfi then you wont have to worry about which onboard sound solution a certain motherboard uses. The only reason i see to upgrade from you curent mobo is if it doesnt support true 16x on each slot when in SLI mode.

Xion X2
04-11-07, 05:58 PM
Comes down to personal preference, but I agree with Steve. Most of that is marketing. The main things to look for in a mobo are PCI-E speed while in SLI mode and how well it overclocks, as well as overall stability.

Redeemed
04-11-07, 06:11 PM
Comes down to personal opinion, but I agree with Steve. Most of that is marketing. The main things to look for in a mobo are PCI-E speed while in SLI mode and how well it overclocks, as well as overall stability.

If you check the reviews though, the CrossHair rivals even DFI's best. It should prove to be a very capable mobo for over clocking.

Also, the on-board audio for the CrossHair supports DTS Connect, something no X-Fi supports.

And yes, I do know all about EAX Advanced HD and how awesome it can sound, and the pros and cons of DTS Connect. Let's not start a debate over it please. ;)

If I go with a 6000 (which I'm 99.9% convinced I will), I'll be getting the CrossHair myself. And when water cooled, I'm hoping that 6000 would do atleast 3.4Ghz at reasonable temps. I couldn't see why it wouldn't. :D

stevemedes
04-11-07, 06:15 PM
If you check the reviews though, the CrossHair rivals even DFI's best. It should prove to be a very capable mobo for over clocking.

Also, the on-board audio for the CrossHair supports DTS Connect, something no X-Fi supports.

And yes, I do know all about EAX Advanced HD and how awesome it can sound, and the pros and cons of DTS Connect. Let's not start a debate over it please. ;)

If I go with a 6000 (which I'm 99.9% convinced I will), I'll be getting the CrossHair myself. And when water cooled, I'm hoping that 6000 would do atleast 3.4Ghz at reasonable temps. I couldn't see why it wouldn't. :D

3.4ghz? Damn, i didnt know AMD's scaled that high.

Redeemed
04-11-07, 06:17 PM
3.4ghz? Damn, i didnt know AMD's scaled that high.

The 6000 runs at 3Ghz stock. I don't see how a 400Mhz oc on water cooling would be expecting too much. ;)

stevemedes
04-11-07, 06:22 PM
The 6000 runs at 3Ghz stock. I don't see how a 400Mhz oc on water cooling would be expecting too much. ;)

its just im under the impression that ~3.0-3.1 is as high as those cores go. Ive never heard of anyone with a 3.4ghz AMD chip. Let us know how it goes tho. I'll be rootin for ya! :captnkill:

Xion X2
04-11-07, 06:31 PM
The 6000 may get to 3.4gHz, but then again it may not. Those chips are still on 90nm and are overclocked from the factory already. I doubt they have much more headroom.

And I never take onboard sound into consideration, because 99% of the time it doesn't compare to the quality you can get out of a decent sound card. Why would I start a debate over EAX HD or X-Fi sound? I have an Auzentech w/ DTS. You can pick an Xplosion up now for ~50$. To me that's a much simpler solution than swapping a motherboard out, and you get better sound quality on top of it.