PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS BIOS Flash!

ATOJAR
04-11-07, 12:57 PM
Right my question is.....(see my sig for my gfx card)

I have just flashed my GPU BIOS to 600 clock core, 1450 Shader clock & 1.9GHz memory clock & the latest Rev.04 bios! .... i have backed up my original bios .... my question is say for example my gfx card became faulty in the future would i be able to flash back to the original bios and RAM the card? .... would eVGA know that i had flashed & overclocked the bios/card?

Thanks.

DiscipleDOC
04-11-07, 02:08 PM
I think that's a jAkUp question. Have you checked on their website to see what their RMA requirements are?

Wolfhound
04-11-07, 03:10 PM
Probably flashing your bios will void your warranty, but if they dont notice...

ViN86
04-11-07, 03:28 PM
as long as the card still functions you will be able to flash it back.

if you kill the card (ie, no picture, the thing is FUBAR'd) you probably wont be able to flash it back.

also, jAkUp works for eVGA, so posting about intentionally voiding the warranty then trying to get an RMA probably isnt a good idea....:headexplode:

ATOJAR
04-11-07, 07:01 PM
jAkUp works for eVGA, so posting about intentionally voiding the warranty then trying to get an RMA probably isnt a good idea

Im not actually trying to get a RMA i was just asking where i stood now that i have actually flashed it!

Also i have overclocked the shader clock core to 1400MHz ..... im not actually sure what the shaders do or what benefit i will see from overclocking it! could somebody please give me a insight?

ViN86
04-11-07, 07:43 PM
Im not actually trying to get a RMA i was just asking where i stood now that i have actually flashed it!

Also i have overclocked the shader clock core to 1400MHz ..... im not actually sure what the shaders do or what benefit i will see from overclocking it! could somebody please give me a insight?
oh. yea, if you something breaks but you can flash it back, theyd never know tbh...

SLippe
04-11-07, 07:46 PM

If you check in the Overclocking area, there is a thread about 8800 overclocks and jAkUp said that you would get a performance boost by overclocking your shader clocks. My 8800GTS is at 650/1900 which puts the shader clock at 1500+. There's a screenshot I posted there that shows the exact clocks. And yes, you can flash your BIOS back to the original, as long as the card is still functioning. I've done it quite a bit on my old 7900GT.

$n][pErMan
04-11-07, 07:54 PM
why would you flash the bios anyway? You can OC the card in software and not void the warranty because eVGA rocks :D

grey_1
04-11-07, 08:06 PM
[pErMan']why would you flash the bios anyway? You can OC the card in software and not void the warranty because eVGA rocks :D
I agree with this. Has the flash raised the voltage?

Vagabond
04-11-07, 09:05 PM
A bios flash is far more stable than a software flash.
It CANT be detected by certain drivers who dont like Overclocking.
Generally its better than a simple software OC.
Its just like if you have bought a factory OCed card ;)

$n][pErMan
04-11-07, 09:25 PM
A bios flash is far more stable than a software flash.
It CANT be detected by certain drivers who dont like Overclocking.
Generally its better than a simple software OC.
Its just like if you have bought a factory OCed card ;)
How exactly is it more stable? I have never had problems with software OC (as far as video cards go). Whats nice about software OC'ing on video cards is you can take back the OC when you are not playing games and save heat and energy. Not tryingt to be a smartass .. just curious as to why you think its more stable or what you have found that might back up your statement. :p

therapture
04-11-07, 09:34 PM
[pErMan']why would you flash the bios anyway? You can OC the card in software and not void the warranty because eVGA rocks :D

Vista users have been flashing since very shortly after it was out, since originally nothing would overclock the 8800's inside Vista.

Mine is bios flashed to 600/1800.

Vagabond
04-12-07, 12:52 AM
SniperMan 3 nice facts

1) There are Nvidia Drivers released from time to time which Dont like Overclocking through Rivatuner or PowerStrip. As a result we see BSODs and general problems.
2) You can reach slightly bigger Overclocks by using a Bios Flash since Rivatuner doesnt actually Overclock a card by 1mhz at a time making it harder to find the exact maximum clock for that card.
3)Each card ( Nvidia & ATI ) have 3 different Clock Configurations.
The 2d clocks who noone Overclocks, the Fail Safe or thottle Overclocks which are identical to the 2d clocks most of the times and the 3d clocks which everyone is Overclocking. So theres no need to Overclock and De-Overclock when not playing Games.

I hope i made things a bit more clear. :)

ATOJAR
04-12-07, 02:05 AM
Has the flash raised the voltage?

Nope, still at 1.3v

Flashing the bios to the latest Rev.04 has also allowed me to get more MHz's from my card! ........ however i m happy with my current overclocks so have left it as it is!

I used nvFlash v5.50 to flash & NiBiTor v3.3 to edit the bios to my current overclocks!

grey_1
04-12-07, 04:49 AM
Nope, still at 1.3v

Flashing the bios to the latest Rev.04 has also allowed me to get more MHz's from my card! ........ however i m happy with my current overclocks so have left it as it is!

I used nvFlash v5.50 to flash & NiBiTor v3.3 to edit the bios to my current overclocks!

Im wanting to run the card at 615/1500/1900 that ive had the card at for a while i just get worried if im stressing it to much!
Cool, I hope it works like you want it too. Must be a nice performance bump.

john19055
04-13-07, 09:04 AM
No you not supposed to flash the bios ,but as long as you can flash it back ,I don't see how they would know since they have a bios update for the 8800's and if the card went totally dead ,I see no way they would know ,I alway flash my bios to the overclocks I want,so I do not have to mess with a third party program to overclock.Just make sure your tempertures are not running to hot when you overclock,that is what useally kills a card,is the heat.

[TH]Overkill
04-13-07, 04:40 PM
How'd you flash the card? do you need the manufactures own bios update?

ATOJAR
04-13-07, 04:47 PM
Every thing you need is here > http://www.mvktech.net/