PDA

View Full Version : Quad-core Xeon vs Intel Core™2 Quad-core?

OWA
04-12-07, 11:55 AM
Anyone know which one is faster for scientific computing? I'm not that familiar with the Xeons and basically the only ones we have at work are for a file server and video analysis system. Basically, is the Xeon better suited for running Mathworks (Simulink, Matlab, etc.) than the regular dual-core/quad-core desktop cpus?

Also, I've seen some mention there being issues with using 4 Gig of RAM. We were thinking of getting 4 gig but it would be under XP. Don't want to order it configured like that if it can't be used though.

Thanks for any input. Basically, we're trying to find the fastest computer we can for around $5k. Note, this usually doesn't involve needing a gaming graphics card.

Greeno
04-12-07, 12:01 PM
That's all we do at work :)

http://www.xworksinteractive.com/

Top end Xeons have 1333Mhz front side buses, whereas the C2Q etc have 1066MHz, so just comparing the chips and not RAM etc, the Xeon's are a better bet.

superklye
04-12-07, 12:17 PM
If past iterations are any indication, Xeons are just C2Ds with a different name. That's how it was back in the Prescott days.

Greeno
04-12-07, 12:24 PM
If past iterations are any indication, Xeons are just C2Ds with a different name. That's how it was back in the Prescott days.

Exactly :)

OWA
04-12-07, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the input.

Dazz
04-12-07, 12:53 PM
Xeon's overclock better from what i heard. Maybe not CPU clock speed wise but FSB overclocking is better which is what you need.

OWA
04-12-07, 01:26 PM
Since this is for work, I don't think we'll be interested in overclocking. We're looking to buy a pre-built system (i.e. won't be building it ourselves) so that means places like Dell, HP, or some other place if anyone has any recommendations. We usually just go with Dell since it's easier but it's not a requirement.

Dazz
04-12-07, 02:13 PM
In which case get the Core2 unless you are looking to having more then 1 processor.

ViN86
04-12-07, 02:31 PM
Anyone know which one is faster for scientific computing? I'm not that familiar with the Xeons and basically the only ones we have at work are for a file server and video analysis system. Basically, is the Xeon better suited for running Mathworks (Simulink, Matlab, etc.) than the regular dual-core/quad-core desktop cpus?

Also, I've seen some mention there being issues with using 4 Gig of RAM. We were thinking of getting 4 gig but it would be under XP. Don't want to order it configured like that if it can't be used though.

Thanks for any input. Basically, we're trying to find the fastest computer we can for around $5k. Note, this usually doesn't involve needing a gaming graphics card.
Simulink is crazy, i use that in my Process Control course.

is the program multithreaded? cause honestly you may be best with getting the fastest clock speed possible in some form of Conroe-based (or w/e Intel new gen) core.

OWA
04-12-07, 03:30 PM
Simulink is crazy, i use that in my Process Control course.

is the program multithreaded? cause honestly you may be best with getting the fastest clock speed possible in some form of Conroe-based (or w/e Intel new gen) core.

BTW, what type computers do y'all use to run simulink?

I asked about that (multithreaded) when they started asking me for computer specs and a co-worker sent me the below quote from the help file.

Simulink Help, "Simulink is single threaded and runs on the one MATLAB thread".

But then he sent me this screencap of the matlab options and it seems to say that multiple cores/threads are supported.

http://www.supload.us/thumbs/default/matlab.jpg (http://www.supload.us/free/matlab.jpg/view/)

The other thing they want to run is FlightGear. Heh, I thought it was a Matlab plug-in or something but after I asked for more info, found it was the freeware PC flight sim that has been around for a while. I guess that explains the Saitek X52 on his desk. :) Its requirements don't seem all that high but I've heard them complain about performance of FlightGear on a really high-end PC so I'm not sure what they're doing with it or maybe they just have it configured for software mode so that everything is being rendered on the CPU.

Edit: Actually, it is kind of being used as a plug-in. FlightGear interfaces with simulink/matlab. At least I know they're not just playing games now. :)

Edit 2: It's more like FlightGear just receives packets of info from simulink and not really a plug-in. We also verified that the dual-core support does work and it helps quite a bit. In light of that, I think we're going with a quad-core cpu. We've priced out a quad-core xeon based system and a quad-core extreme based system.

Thanks for all the input.

ViN86
04-17-07, 05:26 PM
BTW, what type computers do y'all use to run simulink?

I asked about that (multithreaded) when they started asking me for computer specs and a co-worker sent me the below quote from the help file.

But then he sent me this screencap of the matlab options and it seems to say that multiple cores/threads are supported.

http://www.supload.us/thumbs/default/matlab.jpg (http://www.supload.us/free/matlab.jpg/view/)

The other thing they want to run is FlightGear. Heh, I thought it was a Matlab plug-in or something but after I asked for more info, found it was the freeware PC flight sim that has been around for a while. I guess that explains the Saitek X52 on his desk. :) Its requirements don't seem all that high but I've heard them complain about performance of FlightGear on a really high-end PC so I'm not sure what they're doing with it or maybe they just have it configured for software mode so that everything is being rendered on the CPU.

Edit: Actually, it is kind of being used as a plug-in. FlightGear interfaces with simulink/matlab. At least I know they're not just playing games now. :)

Edit 2: It's more like FlightGear just receives packets of info from simulink and not really a plug-in. We also verified that the dual-core support does work and it helps quite a bit. In light of that, I think we're going with a quad-core cpu. We've priced out a quad-core xeon based system and a quad-core extreme based system.

Thanks for all the input.
sorry it took me so long to respond.

i run Simulink on a Pentium M at 1.8GHz. it runs ok. im pretty sure a C2D (with the fastest clock possible) would give you the best performance. a lot of it is memory based too, so get some nice DDR2-1333.

btw, i cant find the multithreaded option in my MATLAB. maybe its cause its on a system that only has one CPU? maybe i just dont have the multithread pack installed...

OWA
04-17-07, 09:05 PM
No problem. I think you have the have the latest version of Matlab. When we were going through their help/FAQs, etc. most of it mentioned multithreading not being suppported but then you'd find a blurb at the bottom saying unless you have version xx or later. I think he ended up having to verify all this with his home laptop since it's dual-core and his work one isn't. So, it's possible the option doesn't show up unless you have dual-core (like you suggested). I'll check that tomorrow.

ViN86
04-18-07, 11:05 AM
im running Matlab 2006a. i believe there is a 2006b or c out or something now.

OWA
04-18-07, 03:14 PM
According to the guy I was helping with this, it's 2007a that has support for multithreading.