PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS bad performance in STALKER...

Pages : [1] 2

rHy0
04-12-07, 07:23 PM
Just got a BFG 8800GTS 640mb OC card today finally. Started up stalker, set everything to max settings and every option on. Thought the card could easily handle this, especially at only 1280x1024 res...

Horrible performance... Indoors it's incredibly smooth but outside it's jittering, and just terrible to play...

Had fraps up and it was dipping as low as 25fps... Averages around mid 30's outside id say...

I thought my card is powerful!!!!!! Or it's broken of course..

Plz advise...

SignorSalad
04-12-07, 07:42 PM
I think your expectations are a bit out of whack. I have the same setup except with SLI 8800 GTXs and I get dips into the mid 20s outside also with everything maxed + full dynamic lighting on. Some places I average only in the 30s, other places I average in the 60s. Its just a demanding game. And your card isn't broken.

rHy0
04-12-07, 07:59 PM
But should it be jerking every time I turn a corner (probly loading up) or get to a new place??

I even tried turning off vsync and got pretty much the exact same performance... Looks like i'll be OC'ing afterall....

CaiNaM
04-12-07, 08:05 PM
Just got a BFG 8800GTS 640mb OC card today finally. Started up stalker, set everything to max settings and every option on. Thought the card could easily handle this, especially at only 1280x1024 res...

Horrible performance... Indoors it's incredibly smooth but outside it's jittering, and just terrible to play...

Had fraps up and it was dipping as low as 25fps... Averages around mid 30's outside id say...

Plz advise...

use "static lightsources" (dynamic lighting off) and you'll get 3-5x increase in framerates...

g80 is still the best card you can use for STALKER, but when you have settings to full, the gfx card has to render multiple light sources in realtime (the sun, campfires, torches, other npc's using flashlights, etc. will all interact with the environment and cast complex shadows which constantly change as the light sources move, or as you move relative to the lightsources), which kills performance on all gfx cards.

grey_1
04-12-07, 08:16 PM
I have to echo the others on your expectations. I'm very happy with my gts performance, but I needed to scale back also.

As far as the jerking goes, stalker does have a problem with stuttering, hopefully it will be addressed in the next patch.

Til then, turn your settings down a notch and enjoy a heck of a game. :)

Edit: I found turning the grass density down and grass shadows off helped a good deal with out taking too much away from the visuals.

rHy0
04-12-07, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will just have to face the fact that I cannot have absolute maxed out settings...

I am gonna OC as high as I can anyway to see what performance increase I can get. Right now I have the card at 580/850(1700 effective?). Temps at a nice 47C idle, only loading in the mid to high 60's. Thats with only 85% fan speed. I think I can reach a steady 600mhz core. Not sure how high I can take the memory. I want to push it to the max though...

Dreamingawake
04-12-07, 09:32 PM
I dunno, seems off to me.

I have the GTS but the 320 MB version, and STALKER flies on my rig. The ONLY
thing I've noticed is an ocassional hiccup, for a 1/2 second once in a while, I assume when it has to access the HD, or load something from cache.

You should be getting way better performance. I have everything maxed, except grass shadows set to off, and I'm playing at 1280x1024.

Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.8Ghz
Intel 680i Motherboard
Evga Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
2Gb OCZ Ram
Creative X-fi Platinum
Windows Xp Sp2

kaptkarl
04-12-07, 11:02 PM
I disagree with most here....my Foxconn 8800GTS 640MB card handles STALKER w/ ALL settings maxed, incl AA and AF, at 1400x900 w/o any problems. The game is smooth as silk, looks incredible, dynamic lighting, shadows and all. The lightning and shadows really looks cool....

BTW, I have, what most people call, a "slow" AMD dual core +5600 OC'd to 3GHz.:D

My three week old new build flies and runs anything I throw at it no problem.:clap:

Kapt

shinrai
04-12-07, 11:19 PM

Plz advise...

Hi all,

I have a Core 2 @ 3.2, an overclocked 640GTS and 2 gig ram and have no issues whatsoever running with everything maxed at 1680x1050 on the latest patch in XP.

I've had one or two crashes but otherwise no stuttering and smooth (~40+) frames outside.

Honestly, i was fearful to buy this game due to the negative bug comments but it just runs great. I keep my system clean and don't load too much junk on it. I can only say that all systems are not made equal. :-)

Xion X2
04-13-07, 01:07 AM
Don't panic; Nvidia's drivers are just crap at the moment. They probably won't get their butts in gear until ATI finally releases their new card. G80s should be able to toss Stalker around like it's nothing. The game looks good, but so does Oblivion, F.E.A.R. and a slew of other games that I can toss around at 90+FPS. No excuse for the performance drop.

daforce
04-13-07, 01:38 AM
I disagree with most here....my Foxconn 8800GTS 640MB card handles STALKER w/ ALL settings maxed, incl AA and AF, at 1400x900 w/o any problems. The game is smooth as silk, looks incredible, dynamic lighting, shadows and all. The lightning and shadows really looks cool....

BTW, I have, what most people call, a "slow" AMD dual core +5600 OC'd to 3GHz.:D

My three week old new build flies and runs anything I throw at it no problem.:clap:

Kapt

As far as i can tell, AA doesnt work in Stalker using the ingame menu. Did some test on my rig, and no level of in game made any difference to visuals or Framerate.
How have you set your AA/AF up? via the Nvidia control panel i assume?

I can run the game maxed out dynamic lights @ 2560x1600 and get on average 25-30fps, which is perfectly playable.

911medic
04-13-07, 01:45 AM
Using 97.92 drivers w/the rig in my sig, STALKER plays pretty smooth at 1680x1050, full dynamic lights, all settings maxed (except AA, of course). An occasional very brief pause when turning a corner, etc, but never has slowed down to where it's "chugging" by any means. I haven't clocked it w/FRAPS. I wouldn't doubt that it dips down periodically, but I don't really feel it affects gameplay, so far.

Joe Public
04-13-07, 05:53 AM
I'm getting an 8800GTS for my new rig and I hope I'll belong to the group not experiencing problems. I guess I'll run it under XP.

kaptkarl
04-13-07, 07:30 AM
As far as i can tell, AA doesnt work in Stalker using the ingame menu. Did some test on my rig, and no level of in game made any difference to visuals or Framerate.
How have you set your AA/AF up? via the Nvidia control panel i assume?

I can run the game maxed out dynamic lights @ 2560x1600 and get on average 25-30fps, which is perfectly playable.

I set up a Stalker profile using the nHancer utility. I usually use in game settings for all my games as they are optimized for that particular game, but for some reason they don't work too well in Stalker. I've cranked all the settings up to max using nHancer and it makes Stalker look incredible.

As for FEAR, Q4, Prey, UT2004 the in game setttings work just fine.

Kapt

kaptkarl
04-13-07, 07:34 AM
Don't panic; Nvidia's drivers are just crap at the moment. They probably won't get their butts in gear until ATI finally releases their new card. G80s should be able to toss Stalker around like it's nothing. The game looks good, but so does Oblivion, F.E.A.R. and a slew of other games that I can toss around at 90+FPS. No excuse for the performance drop.

I agree. The drivers will come around. I recently switched from a ATI x850XT and thier drivers were awesome. Don't flame me here, just stating facts. I'm confident that the 8800 series cards haven't reached thier potential yet. Better drivers in the future will show just how good these cards really are, IMHO.:D

Kapt

jcrox
04-13-07, 08:14 AM
The 101.02 drivers smoothed Stalker out a bit for me. This also helped a bit more:

You need the explorer ( http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php )

You open with this explorer the XR_3DA.exe in the bin folder from stalker.

On the left side you will find "NT Header/File Header". Click on File Header.

On the right side click on "click here".

Now you need to enable "App can handle> 2gb adressest " and to save.

I recommend to backup the XR_3DA.exe befor editing.

Run the game with the static lighting instead of dynamic and you'll see your frames rates jump massively.....80fps is a "dip" without the dynamic lightning.

john19055
04-13-07, 08:44 AM
Mine runs Stalker just fine ,but I running it on XP ,and your card should overclock to 600 just fine or least all the 88000GTS I have seen will ,I have two 8800gts and they both will overclock to 665/2000,but i keep them at
621/1458/900(1800)

rHy0
04-13-07, 09:04 AM
Guys I have the 97.94 drivers... Was that a bad move?? Maybe thats the cause of my slowdowns?

Oh yeah one more thing. Whats an acceptable and safe temp for my card? Right now I have it at 580/1700 and it's idling around 50C. Not sure about load but it's high 60's at least. Would I be safe at 600 core?

ATOJAR
04-13-07, 10:16 AM
your card temps look fine :) .... i have mine at 600MHz clock core, 1450MHz shader clock & 1.9GHz on the memory .... my card sits at 50c-53c idle and 65c-70c load! .......

jcrox
04-13-07, 10:31 AM
Yeah, you're temps are fine..I idle right around 50c and load is around 68-70c. You should be able to easily do 600+ on the core.

Xion X2
04-13-07, 11:15 AM
Guys I have the 97.94 drivers... Was that a bad move?? Maybe thats the cause of my slowdowns?

Oh yeah one more thing. Whats an acceptable and safe temp for my card? Right now I have it at 580/1700 and it's idling around 50C. Not sure about load but it's high 60's at least. Would I be safe at 600 core?

The 97.94s run the same as the 97.92s.

If you have a single card, then I'd advise one of the 1**.** versions.

Blacklash
04-13-07, 11:20 AM
Nevermind. Made a mistake.

rHy0
04-13-07, 05:33 PM
Cool I just pushed my OC up to 600/1800. Seems to be running very stable except for one thing... When I open the 3d view in ATI Tools it flickers and doesnt spin smoothly but I ran the artifact test and no errors came up so it may just be the software. 3DMark runs fine too. Shot my sm2 score up to 4234.

Temps are stable too. I cranked the fan speed up to 90% in nTune (also have an 80mm fan blowing under the card) and I am idling 47/48C, and load around 65-70C. Might try for 1900 memory soon.

Xion thanks I think I will check out the 100 version of the drivers and see if it helps.

DirkBelig
04-13-07, 10:46 PM
It's crazy how these games are in development for years and years and when they finally ship, you still need a computer and graphics card from a couple more years in the future. What are they developing on? Deep Thought? Or are they testing at .2 fps?

Blacklash
04-14-07, 01:39 AM
The sad fact is some games do not perform well because they are poorly coded.