PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX preformance dosent quite live up to expectations.

Pages : [1] 2

Emanon
04-12-07, 07:46 PM
With some help from the kind people on this forum I recently built a new gaming rig. Unfortunatly the preformance in games is a tad unstable.

A few examples:

Company of Heroes works perfectly, 55-60FPS on max with 1600x1200 res.

Rainbow 6 Vegas Is ok with out AA and shadows, with those enabled it falls to 20 FPS.

Armed assault never goes above 35FPS, usualy hovers at 20 even on low.

Supreme Commander is a pain, it starts out with 40-50 FPS (This is not bad imo) unfortunatly as the battle progresses it falls to 20ish, sometimes as low as 10. This is with no AA and no shadows (These seem to help preformance in most games).

Tomb Riader Legend runs perfectly without the "Next gen content" enabled, but when its on it drops to 10-20 FPS.

My system specs are as follows.

Gainward 8800GTX
Intel E6600 @2.4Ghz
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2GB Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2
Fortron/Source Epsilon 700W

I have updated the forceware drivers (used Driver Cleaner and such) and done a clean XP install.

Most of these games are playable, but since this is a brand new computer I feel that I should be able to run most current games with out disableing all the eye candy.

I would be grateful for any help you could offer.

Edit #1 I'm running Windows XP SP2 if it matters.

J-Mag
04-12-07, 08:08 PM
Supreme Commander is a pain, it starts out with 40-50 FPS (This is not bad imo) unfortunatly as the battle progresses it falls to 20ish, sometimes as low as 10. This is with no AA and no shadows (These seem to help preformance in most games).

The situation you are describing is an increasing CPU load. Buy a quadcore if you really like supreme commander.

Either way you need to set the bar lower, so that you rarely disappoint yourself ;)

Cyant
04-12-07, 08:26 PM
Overclock your CPU =)

fizix
04-12-07, 10:00 PM
Overclock your CPU =)
This man speaks the truth, I was in the same situation as you. OC'd my e6600 to 3.5ghz and EVERY game plays like a dream @ 1440x900 w/max settings

gulizard
04-12-07, 10:45 PM
I have yet to discover the need for high RES. I use 1280 by 1024 thats good enough... Try lowering the res bet it helps.

kaptkarl
04-12-07, 10:46 PM
This man speaks the truth, I was in the same situation as you. OC'd my e6600 to 3.5ghz and EVERY game plays like a dream @ 1440x900 w/max settings

I don't get it. I've got a "slower" dual core AMD, 2gig memory, FoxConn 8800GTS 640MB OC'd to 610/2000 and I can run STALKER @ 1400x900 w/ all settings maxed out, incl AA and AF. From what I understand this game is the most demanding out there graphically. It looks incredible and plays smooth as silk.

Am I missing something here?:D

Kapt

Xion X2
04-12-07, 11:03 PM
*shakes head* It has nothing to do with his processor not being overclocked or needing to turn his resolution down...

Try these in order from 1-6:

1) Check your PCI-E speed in your BIOS and make sure it's set to 16x/200mhz

2) Check your memory and make sure it's installed in the proper slots according to your motherboard manual

3) Run Orthos and check the stability of your system with a blend test

4) If you haven't already, try reinstalling the driver after installing a game for the first time. There's a bug in Nvidia's drivers that causes certain games to run poorly upon a fresh install unless you uninstall and then reinstall the driver

5) Try using the Y-adapter that came in your graphics card box to run to one of your PCI-E power connectors instead of a standard PCI-E cable. Hook two 4-pin molexes up to the end of the adapter. For the other PCI-E, use a standard cable from your power supply. This will force the PSU to pull off a different rail for power if you're maxing out the current rail that the PCI-E connectors are sitting on.

6) Check the resistor topic in this forum that I started and make sure your card doesn't have a 68C resistor

Xion X2
04-13-07, 12:18 AM
does the 8800GTS also have this resistor problem?

I don't believe so. I've never heard of the GTS' having this issue.

daforce
04-13-07, 01:50 AM
Company of Heroes: Yep agree runs great

Rainbow 6 Vegas: Is a mixed bag for me, I run it at 1600x1200 as native res 2560x1600 causes it to run like a slide show. But in some areas its fantastic some areas its horrible. This is with maxed details. My friend with his 7950gx2 doesnt seem to have such trouble. It "feels" to get worse the more I play it in any given session.

Armed assault: Shoddy game basically, runs like crap for most people. The newest patch apparently helps alot.. I believe.

Supreme Commander: I run this maxed out @ 2560x1600, and for the most part it runs really well. Depend in the map, some run really bad. Try seatons clutch (or what ever its called) Thats very smooth for me. Until of course the unit counts goes thru the roof and playing against 3 AI bots.

Tomb Riader Legend: Havnt played it on my 8800gtx, but I hear it runs bad. I think I saw it in a few threads ages ago.

Anyway man, good luck, the drivers are still a little "iffy"

Xion X2
04-13-07, 01:54 AM
Tomb Raider Legend runs just fine on the 8800s.

Bokishi
04-13-07, 03:06 AM
I'm averaging about 80 fps in Tomb Raider Legend "Next Gen Mode." However it will drop to 30 fps in the first area in the England level and in the Africa level when I jump down the waterfall.

ATOJAR
04-13-07, 03:10 AM
Well from the games listed ive only played Supreme Commander, If i remember correctly i played at 1920x1440 res with all settings maxed! ...... I didn't check the fps but i think i remember it running sweet as all times!

Blacklash
04-13-07, 03:16 AM
Yeah TRL and Oblivion run very well on the 8800GTX. At least in my experience @ 1680x with filtering and IQ jacked high. IMO you want a C2D @ 3.0GHz to support a 8800GTX best. That is easy to get to with practically any C2D. Even rank overclocking amateurs get them to 3.2GHz with ease. You should use an aftermarket cooler when passing 3.0GHz IMO.

I don't know of a setup that owns Rainbow 6 Vegas right now. Perhaps dual 8800GTXs.

The 8800GTX can push CoH @ 1600x with 16x AA and 16x AF. It can do F.E.A.R. well @ 1920x 4x AA 16x AF-

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/9376/coh16xyw9.gif

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/8677/fexsue7.png

Besides having the best performance available currently, more importantly, it has the best IQ. That definitely includes its filtering, both AA and AF.

john19055
04-13-07, 08:50 AM
I run 4x FSAA and 16x aniso on everthing since the performance hit is not that bad with the 8800 ,but you have a E6600 and they overclock nicely ever at stock voltages,I run mine at 3.6gig 1600cpu and 800 on the memory and I have the cpu voltage at 1.31v,If I was you I would overclock it to at least 3gigs and you will see a increase in your performance.

Emanon
04-13-07, 12:07 PM
Thank you all for the feed back. I will try your suggestions and let you know how it turns out.

HiCZoK4
04-13-07, 01:06 PM
Rainbow Six Vegas runs 40+ fps on 1280x960 maxed out on my 8800gts320 C2De6300 2.52 and if I disable shadows(only character shadow!!!) 80+fps. Anyway it works GREAT. TRL 1024x768 maxed nextgen very good fps only 30fps drop in waterfall area and england.

3dmark scores:
2001 = 34000 :D
2003 = 23500
2005 = 14000
2006 = 8000

And yes ...G80 are very cpu demanding . If I leave my e6300 on 1.86 then my 3d05 score in 11500fps, and if I oc it to 2.52 it gets 2500fps more!!! also I tried ocing it to 2.86 but then my pc rebooted before 3d mark ends :headexplode:

btw. I have low 40C Cpu temperature on 2.52 setting after all day of playing and about 60/64C on gpu. I think becouse my case is open.

ps.My 8800gts320mb is ASUS and mobo is also asus p5n-e SLI .Ram I running is 2x1gb geil ultra 4-4-4-12 2CT and 500W chieftec(yes it is enough)

xp sp2 pro with 97.92 drivers
gonna try vista tomorrow

Also I was disapointed of g80 speed at first ,but then after rising cpu clock I realized this is NOW how it is suspose to be. And one more thing - those facking nvidia demos (adrianne and frog) were running 20fps for me and I resolved it in some way and added 10fps to froggy and 5 to adrianne by simple disabling one of the cpu cores.

ps.As you might notice some artifacts in games like broken shadows and stuff. Dont worry - this is normal stuff and hope nvidia is going to resolve that soon becouse i want to play just caouse and call of juarez with shadows.

Hope you can use some of my loosy info :D

fivefeet8
04-13-07, 01:49 PM
And yes ...G80 are very cpu demanding . If I leave my e6300 on 1.86 then my 3d05 score in 11500fps, and if I oc it to 2.52 it gets 2500fps more!!! :D

That's not the reason you get 2500 more pts on 3dmark 06. The benchmarks gives a ton of points for the CPU score alone. Most games though are fairly CPU limited when you have an 8800 card. ;)

HiCZoK4
04-13-07, 02:26 PM
yes you are right but lets talk about first 3d05 test
that space marines battle . with 1.86 i get 60 fps on star and with 2.52 i get 80 fps so its 20fps more isnt it ? and I do not see any fps difference in cpu tests :D :D still that low 3/4 fps

HA what you say now padre (nana2)

fivefeet8
04-13-07, 04:23 PM
yes you are right but lets talk about first 3d05 test
that space marines battle . with 1.86 i get 60 fps on star and with 2.52 i get 80 fps so its 20fps more isnt it ? and I do not see any fps difference in cpu tests :D :D still that low 3/4 fps

HA what you say now padre (nana2)

I was talking about 3dmark 06's total score.

HiCZoK4
04-13-07, 05:20 PM
ooohh ,my bad . In 3dmark 2006 i got only about 500/800 fps more in total score. offcourse that is barely noticable 3/4 fps more in tests

gulizard
04-13-07, 05:37 PM
umm try running something like Adobe Photoshop with the frog demo running. I find that if both cores are being utilized games do perform better.

Emanon
04-13-07, 06:50 PM
*shakes head* It has nothing to do with his processor not being overclocked or needing to turn his resolution down...

Try these in order from 1-6:

1) Check your PCI-E speed in your BIOS and make sure it's set to 16x/200mhz

2) Check your memory and make sure it's installed in the proper slots according to your motherboard manual

3) Run Orthos and check the stability of your system with a blend test

4) If you haven't already, try reinstalling the driver after installing a game for the first time. There's a bug in Nvidia's drivers that causes certain games to run poorly upon a fresh install unless you uninstall and then reinstall the driver

5) Try using the Y-adapter that came in your graphics card box to run to one of your PCI-E power connectors instead of a standard PCI-E cable. Hook two 4-pin molexes up to the end of the adapter. For the other PCI-E, use a standard cable from your power supply. This will force the PSU to pull off a different rail for power if you're maxing out the current rail that the PCI-E connectors are sitting on.

6) Check the resistor topic in this forum that I started and make sure your card doesn't have a 68C resistor

I have done what you suggested and I found the following:

1) I was unable to locate the PCI-E bus speed option in my BIOS, but according to CPU-Z the GPUs Link with is set to 16. (I asume this is what you meant)

2) The memory sticks looked right to me, I comapred with the mobo manual.

3) I left Orthos runing for 30 min with out problems, then I noticed the message about running one in each core. This is where things got interesting. When the primary core Orthos started test 7 (after about 6-7 min), the secondary Orthos was still working on test 1. I activated the LCD screen on my keyboard and left the preformance monitor run while I ran the tests again.
It showed that while core 0 was working at 100% core 1 was only working at 5-20%, mostly hovering around 10%.

This seemed odd, so I played a quick Skirmish map in SupCom and it showed the same result, the primary core was working hard while the secondary was barely used at all.

PS. even at medium settings in a 1 on 1 match with a Supreme AI on the map suggested by Daforce the game slowed to a crawl (as low as 8 FPS) during a relativly minor battle (40 or so ground units vs a small base).

I usually run at 1600x1200 (since it is the native res of my screen), but I set it to 1024 just to check, it made no differance in FPS.

4) I have atemted to reinstall the drivers using driver cleaner and such with little luck.

5) I got a bunch of loose cables with my computer, I don't know witch is the Y-adapter (I just picked the components, it was assembled for me before shipping)

6) I looked at your transistor topic, for some reason i have neither a 68C or a 40C. I belive it says 01C (I have tripple checked the instructions to make sure I'm looking at the right spot). After reading the post I noticed on other person, on page 10, that has the same 01C transistor.

Could I have been barking up the wrong tree as they say? Could the CPU be at fault? I realize most games do not take advantage of dual cores yet, but I know SupCom is supposed too.

I have always found it odd that SupCom would lag as bad as it does when it never seems to use all the CPU/Ram at its disposal...

PS Please excuse spelling and grammar errors, English is not my primary language. :)

Xion X2
04-14-07, 11:11 PM
[Edit: Emanon, try running a small FFTs test in Orthos to see if it maximizes both cores. Blend will let the processor breathe, so it may not maximize both. I was just trying to see if you had good synchronization between your CPU and memory.]

Do you have all of your windows updates?

The Y-adapter I was talking about should have came in your graphics card box. It is a cable that has two 4-pin molexes that run to a single PCI-E connector. It would look similar to this, except it would have another 4-pin molex attached:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/12-201-004-02.jpg

If you can find this cable, then try taking two 4-pin molexes from your PSU and running them to this cable, then run this cable to your graphics card. For the other PCI-E connector, just use the native one on the PSU.

Definitely should be maxing out both cores in Orthos, though. Make sure you're not running a blend test but Small FFTs. CPU usage should show it maxing both cores. I just checked mine, and it does.

Blacklash
04-15-07, 12:35 AM
Xion is talking about this-

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4117/pcieadexi1.jpg

I have a few and have yet to use 'em.

Xion X2
04-15-07, 12:53 AM
Yeah, that's it. I really don't think that should have anything to do with the processor, but you never know. FSP makes good PSUs. But if for some reason the processor is pulling off the same rail as your graphics, then a rail overload could possibly cause a problem I guess. I have had cases where I couldn't overclock as well or was getting slowdowns in applications/gaming because my components were starved for power. Happened on a dual-rail PSU I had once.

Dang, my bad.. I just went back and looked and just realized I'm the one who told you to run a blend test, Emanon. That might cause your processor not to load on the second core constantly. You'll have to forgive me.. I've had two family members pass away this week and am a little scatterbrained at the moment.

Try running Small FFTs in Orthos and see if it does the same thing. If not, then you're ok there. You want it loading to the max on both cores.