PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't AMD created a new architecture by now?

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
04-13-07, 12:08 AM
I'm no CPU expert but isn't AMDs current CPU still an evolution of the original Athlon? Intel has created TWO totally new and different architectures in the same time period AMD has been milking the same basic design. Why havn't they attempted to create something new? Seems they are so far down now they'll never regain.

Madpistol
04-13-07, 12:42 AM
They have created a new architecture. It's code named "Barcelona" We're waitng to see it hit the market. Just be patient. ;)

sillyeagle
04-13-07, 12:57 AM
Oh ok, shows how much I've been paying attention to the CPU scene. lol

Xion X2
04-13-07, 01:09 AM
They've also gone to 65nm with some of their chips, like the X2 3600+ Brisbane. Overclocks like a motha from 1.9-->3.1 rather easily.

Sazar
04-13-07, 01:34 AM
I'm no CPU expert but isn't AMDs current CPU still an evolution of the original Athlon? Intel has created TWO totally new and different architectures in the same time period AMD has been milking the same basic design. Why havn't they attempted to create something new? Seems they are so far down now they'll never regain.

Amd created "new architectures" too, with their hammer tech.

Intel btw has not really created anything totally new. Look at their "previous generation" dothan tech and other developments from their p3 core, merge it with some of the tech you have with the p4, insert a highly talented design team and you have conroe/merom and so on (i.e. core2).

AMD has tech that has survived till now and continues to perform relatively well. But they really do need Barcelona to debut, perform well, consume low power AND have few, if any issues. A tall order but lets see.

CaptNKILL
04-13-07, 01:55 AM
Are there any estimated release dates for Barcelona? I really want to upgrade my CPU some time, but I know there are a lot of changes coming soon and I'd hate to upgrade to something that is outdated in a month.

jAkUp
04-13-07, 02:05 AM
I believe it is summer for Barcelona?

mojoman0
04-13-07, 02:16 AM
"CHIP FIRM AMD is continuing to talk up its forthcoming K10 "Barcelona" microprocessor, and to insist it will beat the competition hands down.
Guiseppe Amato, AMD's European technical director, said: "Barcelona is an architecture that must be faster."

He said that people wanting to move to the redesigned K10 core using Socket F would only need to change the BIOS - the chip would otherwise be comfortable in its surroundings.

And AMD will migrate the Barcelona core to both desktop and mobile designs, with some further tweaks.

He laid a lot of emphasis on the ability of the Barcelona to deliver four FPs ber clock cycle, as well as having a bigger buffer and L1, L2, and L3 caches. He also claimed that the memory connect design of the microprocessor will give it an inherent advantage over Intel's designs.

AMD claims Barcelona K10 will knock Intel dead"

seastar
04-13-07, 03:04 AM
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=456&Itemid=1

CaptNKILL
04-13-07, 03:05 AM
Hmm... I don't really want to wait, but I think I'm going to.

I'd really be kicking myself in the ass if Barcelona came out and stomped core 2 right after I invested in an Intel rig.

RAY16
04-13-07, 04:51 AM
I'm pretty much being forced to wait until the end of the year before I can build my new system because of... well, not having money. I suppose my forced wait is both a blessing and a curse.

j0j081
04-13-07, 08:28 AM
NO IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY I TELL YOU!!!

Capt. Picard
04-13-07, 08:32 AM
Tell me, this new Barcelona, will it require a new mobo or will it be compatible with the current mobo design.

DiscipleDOC
04-13-07, 09:32 AM
I believe it is summer for Barcelona?
I heard it will be early summer/late spring...

DiscipleDOC
04-13-07, 09:34 AM
Hmm... I don't really want to wait, but I think I'm going to.

I'd really be kicking myself in the ass if Barcelona came out and stomped core 2 right after I invested in an Intel rig.
That's why you need to buy my 5200...it's dirt cheap!:captnkill:

Tell me, this new Barcelona, will it require a new mobo or will it be compatible with the current mobo design.
From what I read, it will require a new motherboard to use the ht 3.0, but you can use the AM2 socket if that won't be a biggie...

CaptNKILL
04-13-07, 10:40 AM
That's why you need to buy my 5200...it's dirt cheap!:captnkill:

I'm still on socket 939!! :captnkill:

Besides, my 4200+ is clocked at 5000+ speeds already. :)

Tuork
04-13-07, 11:08 AM
Hmm... I'm currently selling my gaming rig... almost done parting it out.

Looks like I will have more options for when I decide to buy a new rig. :)

ViN86
04-13-07, 03:43 PM
Amd created "new architectures" too, with their hammer tech.

Intel btw has not really created anything totally new. Look at their "previous generation" dothan tech and other developments from their p3 core, merge it with some of the tech you have with the p4, insert a highly talented design team and you have conroe/merom and so on (i.e. core2).

AMD has tech that has survived till now and continues to perform relatively well. But they really do need Barcelona to debut, perform well, consume low power AND have few, if any issues. A tall order but lets see.
thank you. i was just about to say that. :D

they just mitched and matched their best tech. rumor has it Barcelona will be 128-bit :drooling:

Sazar
04-13-07, 07:28 PM
I am just a little concerned about the issues barcelona has been having even at this late stage in development.

Fortunately many have been ironed out but still, this is a product that is already very late and if I am going to be dropping top dollar, I am not looking for a partially working product.

I had no issues with going with a sckt 754 proc when a64 first came out because it was rock-solid, even if it wasn't dual-channel. Barcelona? I WANT to get it but if penryn/nehalem continue to appeal, I might just have to go the route of the lower TDP product.

Besides, I have a lot of confidence with intel's second round with an integrated memory controller.

Redeemed
04-13-07, 07:32 PM
I am just a little concerned about the issues barcelona has been having even at this late stage in development.

Fortunately many have been ironed out but still, this is a product that is already very late and if I am going to be dropping top dollar, I am not looking for a partially working product.

I had no issues with going with a sckt 754 proc when a64 first came out because it was rock-solid, even if it wasn't dual-channel. Barcelona? I WANT to get it but if penryn/nehalem continue to appeal, I might just have to go the route of the lower TDP product.

Besides, I have a lot of confidence with intel's second round with an integrated memory controller.

So now it seems that you are losing faith in Barcelona? Not that long ago you were chanting how it should give AMD abit more than a fighting chance. :p

Sazar
04-13-07, 07:47 PM
So now it seems that you are losing faith in Barcelona? Not that long ago you were chanting how it should give AMD abit more than a fighting chance. :p

Perhaps you were reading too much into what I wrote :cool:

Or perhaps you mis-understood my point.

I have no issues with the core marchitecture design AMD has, I have an issue with the problems that AMD has been having, even now, with that design.

Redeemed
04-13-07, 08:18 PM
Perhaps you were reading too much into what I wrote :cool:

Or perhaps you mis-understood my point.

I have no issues with the core marchitecture design AMD has, I have an issue with the problems that AMD has been having, even now, with that design.

Fair enough.

Now, care to list said problems? :p

Sazar
04-13-07, 08:30 PM
My main point of interest is the memory controller. But there's much better news on that front.

Redeemed
04-13-07, 08:32 PM
My main point of interest is the memory controller. But there's much better news on that front.

:wtf:

So now they are having issues with their memory controller- or are you referring to Intel implementing an on-die memory controller?

Sazar
04-13-07, 08:37 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89167

Perhaps you just need to re-read what I wrote so you don't have a confusion of what I said.

And Intel has had marchitecture with an on-die memory controller before, their new implementation is the smallest of my concerns on their upcoming hardware.