PDA

View Full Version : PC games via Linux on PS3?

SebC
04-13-07, 12:48 PM
Has anyone here tried installing linux on the PS3? Do you know if it can run any PC games? If so then that would be fantastic :D

LurkerLito
04-13-07, 01:42 PM
I don't think it would work, IIRC under linux you can't access the graphics chip at all.

ViN86
04-13-07, 02:36 PM
I don't think it would work, IIRC under linux you can't access the graphics chip at all.
you have to access it somewhat. do you mean you cant enable graphics hardware acceleration?

Wolfhound
04-13-07, 02:39 PM
Has anyone here tried installing linux on the PS3? Do you know if it can run any PC games? If so then that would be fantastic :D

The RSX only can be accessed via framebuffer if you install Linux on PS3, so no opengl or 3D at all.

look here:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=41639

F r e q u e n t l y A s k e d Q u e s t i o n s

QUESTION: Is source code included with YDL for the PS3?

Yes, on the second DVD, or from YDL.net accounts, and from the public mirrors.

QUESTION: Can I develop games for the PS3 GameOS from YDL?

In order to develop games for the PS3 GameOS, game developers require a special relationship with Sony under NDA and a special tool set. Neither the tools nor relationship are provided with Yellow Dog Linux nor through Terra Soft Solutions.

QUESTION: What level of graphics support is available?

At this point in time, YDL runs in framebuffer mode on the PS3, meaning there is no 2D nor 3D accelleration nor support for OpenGL. The x.org driver is fully functional in its framebuffer mode, offering quality support for a wide variety of hi-def televisions and computer monitors that comply with the PS3 video output signals.

nemecb
04-13-07, 02:50 PM
Not to mention the fact that there probably aren't any games that are going to run on the Cell arch out of the box.

Wolfhound
04-13-07, 02:53 PM
Not to mention the fact that there probably aren't any games that are going to run on the Cell arch out of the box.

true, there has to be an emulator for convert x86-64 calls into Cell calls

OWA
04-13-07, 03:15 PM
How did IBM do the realtime raytracing demo? Was that strictly rendering all the graphics on the cell processor and just using the RSX kind of like a pass-thru device (i.e. just using it to send the output to the screen).

nemecb
04-13-07, 03:24 PM
Yeah, although if it's strictly an x86 emulator then it would be too slow to run games anyway. Wine might work, but that may not work perfectly either (it does run on PPC I think, so there's a chance at least). It's pretty limited on what it can successfully emulate game-wise too.

OWA: If it was raytracing then it probably was all done on the CPU and RSX just used as output. It's possible IBM licensed whatever they needed from Sony, but if they were showcasing the Cell I doubt they would offload work to the GPU anyway.

ViN86
04-13-07, 04:45 PM
oh, i thought the Cell was x86 based. oops :o

Subtestube
04-13-07, 06:13 PM
Also bear in mind how little memory the PS3 has - when running games designed for it and it's native OS, sure, it's fine, but when running a full fledged desktop OS, I think PC games (which always assume excessive amounts of memory) would be pretty starved.

SebC
04-13-07, 06:27 PM
Ah well. Shame. It would be nice to play my PC games on the big tv downstairs