PDA

View Full Version : Help with 7900GT Artifact problem

NaplesComputers
04-13-07, 03:04 PM
I had a customer come into the store with a 7900GT that has artifacts all over all the time. He ended up purchasing a 8800 as a replacement. I question is is this card salvageable? I believe its out of warranty. I tried removing the heatsink and putting some thermal base becasue maybe it was a heat issue, but that didn't work. Do you think this card is toast?
Thanks

Joe Public
04-13-07, 03:31 PM
Well, 7900GTs have been known to have trouble because of overheating. Not the GPU, but the voltage regulator on the rear of the card.

NaplesComputers
04-13-07, 03:37 PM
So locally unrepairable?

seeker010
04-13-07, 04:06 PM
So locally unrepairable?
you could try resoldering a new voltage regulator on it... but I would be willing to guess most people aren't willing to do such a thing

NaplesComputers
04-13-07, 04:10 PM
Where would I get a new one? My boss is good at soldering. Does my problem sound like one caused from a bad voltage regulator?

grey_1
04-13-07, 04:25 PM
It could be the regulator, I've also had artifacts from bad ram on a card.

If there's a good electronics shop anywhere around they may be able to help you determine a replacement part for the regulator.

If it's ram, probably not worth the trouble. May not be anyway unless you can find the right part cheap enough.

NaplesComputers
04-13-07, 04:30 PM
Well Talked to the tech who worked on the customers machine and he said the power cord was plugged into regulator when it was brought in and when I tested it on a different machine I did so without plugging power into the regulator and experienced the same problem. So does it sound more like a memory issue or could it still be a faulty regulator?

grey_1
04-13-07, 04:43 PM
One possible way to test would be to underclock the memory. Only reason I say that is the one I had, 9700pro, at stock artifacted. 10mghz lower it looked fine.

I take it this is all the time? Desktop and all? If so I would say ram. Just a guess though.

NaplesComputers
04-13-07, 04:48 PM
Yes artifacts are there as soon as you boot up. What application do you recommend for trying to underclock the memory?

grey_1
04-13-07, 05:13 PM
powerstrip (http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm) (shareware)

Rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner) (free)

I usually use rivatuner, very solid. As is powerstrip, but I like rivatuners price. :p

In all honesty I wouldn't hold much hope for this, but there is that small chance.

Even if it does work, you still have a defective card, but it would be good for a test bench til it died all the way.