PDA

View Full Version : What console's 1st production run have you had no problems with?

kevJ420
04-14-07, 12:35 PM
I was startled yesterday when I read that the Gamecube has a problem with the Game Disc drive laser. I have the 1st production run and I've never had problems with it. up until yesterday I thought the Gamecube was one of the most reliable disc based consoles along with the saturn.

Now I guess I'd have to say the Saturn only.

The 1st playstations were horrible, the PS2 was horrible until the top loading style. The PS3 has seemed perfect. The X360 was far from perfect. The Wii, as much as I hate it, seem to be reliable. The first Sega CD front loading wasn't the most reliable. The Jaguar CD is horrible, it has a very short life span, I haven't played mine much, so I haven't run into problems yet. I want to get Primal Rage for it though, to see how it compares to other versions. The Xbox was better than its primary competitor and also it's successor, but not quite perfect. My Turbo Duo is old as **** and it works perfectly. Never tried the Turbo CD add-on though. Never tried any of the Neo Geo CD models, but I know that CDZ dies after a short while. The Goldstar 3DO had less RAM than it was supposed to. My FZ-1 3DO seems perfect, it's old as ****. My Panasonic FZ-10 is supposed to be reliable. Dreamcast reliabilty is terrible, which is a shame since its predecessor is so perfect.

The only game I have for my Turbo Duo is Rondo of Blood (I need to sell it for $130 before the value goes down in July), and it played perfect, but I've not had any other experiences with it, so I'd have to say the JVC (or Sanyo) drive in the Saturn is the very most reliable b/c I've never had a Saturn go unstable on me. I got my 1st one new in September 95. I got my 4th one about this time of year in 2001. [NOTE: I sold the 1st 2, and I kind of gave my 3rd one away. They didn't break.]] Never had it reset on its own, never had it lock up, never had it skip.

Wolfhound
04-14-07, 12:42 PM
:screwy: :confused:

toxikneedle
04-14-07, 12:44 PM
kevpla1 stop with these godamn threads.

Blackcat
04-14-07, 12:58 PM
My Nov. 2005 Xbox360 came down with the dreaded red ring of death last week. I could not stand the thought of not having one for a couple of weeks so a ran to gamestop and bought a core system. I will send my old system back to be fixed in the next couple of weeks and when I get it back it will be my travel system. Unless they put a quiet benq drive in it, then my new one will be my backup/travel system.:)

Mr. Hunt
04-14-07, 01:37 PM
First console to have NO problems? PS2... bought it on launch and it still runs great... I had my original PS1 for like 4 years and eventually it died... I played it like crazy though and was amazed it lasted that long with the hours I put into it... also the 3DO... but I didn't play that an EXTREME amount like most of my other systems.

I also think the SNES was pretty reliable for me... but it was quite a long while ago and I can't remember if one ever broke down... I know the NES sucked donkey nuts getting games to work.

SwedX
04-14-07, 01:38 PM
I actually never had any problems at all with my consoles and I have owned lets see.

Intellivision/ NES / SNES / Sega16 bit / PS1 / Dreamcast / PS2 / Xbox / Xbox 360 ..think that was all as a remember and I have never had any issues at all which im very gretful of and I have bought most of them when they come out!

Ooops forget about the Gamecube which works like a charm and I play on it even today and xbox for streaming movies of course :D

|MaguS|
04-14-07, 02:45 PM
SNES, N64 (technically since the controller went bad, not the console) and my PS2. Those 3 systems I still have and function perfectly.

Zelda_fan
04-14-07, 02:58 PM
I have never ever had a Nintendo console crash on me, except once. When I was a kid I was playing some Roger Clemons' MVP baseball on the original gameboy. I got so frustrated at the screen I started punching it repeatedly and the screen broke.

Toss3
04-14-07, 03:02 PM
I have never ever had a Nintendo console crash on me, except once. When I was a kid I was playing some Roger Clemons' MVP baseball on the original gameboy. I got so frustrated at the screen I started punching it repeatedly and the screen broke.
Yup nintendo makes some solid consoles! :D I can't remember how many times I threw my controller at my snes because I got frustrated and it never broke, and neither did the controllers. :) I've never had any of my consoles break on me(knocks on wood), but maybe the console-gods just like me? :D

Serath
04-15-07, 12:45 AM
as for me... I've got a huge collection of consoles, and so far here are the problems I've experienced.
NES: ease it in, click it down, blow blow blow... everyone was raped by the NES
Sega 32X: sometimes gives black screen when genesis game is inserted
Jaguar: blew a capacitor on the mainboard.
PS1 (old style): everyone knows the lasers on these things sucked.
PS2: (old style): again lost around 3 lasers with these guys.
Gamecube: video chip on board died after about 2 months.
360: ring of death, no video, overheated

Keep in mind that I've owned several of all the consoles listed here. Most of them work flawlessly. only 1 of every 5 seemed to have issues with the exception of the NES. All NES systems have that problem

Arioch
04-15-07, 01:05 AM
Atari 2600.

nrdstrm
04-15-07, 01:23 AM
Atari 2600.

Same...2600, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast...No problems at all..

hazindu
04-16-07, 10:04 AM
The SNES, Dreamcast and DSlite are the only consoles I've ever bought when they first released, and they all worked\work flawlessly.

Mathesar
04-16-07, 10:13 AM
Ive bought just about every console on launch day since NES and the only ones that eventually stopped working were PS1 and PS2 (laser issues on both). Surprisingly my Xbox360 (Oct 2005 manf. date) is still going strong :)