PDA

View Full Version : Banding on a GTS

InDirectX
03-20-03, 09:29 PM
Hello,

Recently ive started to notice odd banding on my gts, there is nothing in the first pci slot, the speakers i use are FPS2000 and have been in nearly the same spot of 2 years. The monitor is a Samsung 750s and ive tried Degausing it but that doesnt seem to help. So my question is this, what would cause the banding, and what could be done to stop it. Ive also made a pic in photoshop to show the pattern of the banding incase that will help determine what is causing it. also the image on the screen isnt distorted like that, only the banding is.

http://members.rogers.com/roy.583/banding_gts_problem.jpg

Woodelf
03-20-03, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by InDirectX
Hello,

Recently ive started to notice odd banding on my gts, there is nothing in the first pci slot, the speakers i use are FPS2000 and have been in nearly the same spot of 2 years. The monitor is a Samsung 750s and ive tried Degausing it but that doesnt seem to help. So my question is this, what would cause the banding, and what could be done to stop it. Ive also made a pic in photoshop to show the pattern of the banding incase that will help determine what is causing it. also the image on the screen isnt distorted like that, only the banding is.

http://members.rogers.com/roy.583/banding_gts_problem.jpg

Not sure I understand the problem from the image, but since I'm the first one, I'll give it a crack.

Try setting's on monitor, itself.
Try lowering refresh rate to around 75 - 85 to see if helps.
try lowering resolution to 800x600 - 1024x768 to see if that helps.
If all else fails, try uninstall and reinstall video drivers.
Really I'm just guessing though.

jAkUp
03-20-03, 09:48 PM
if its banding like that... it could possibly be dying or overheating... but do what woods suggests^^^

InDirectX
03-20-03, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Woodelf
Not sure I understand the problem from the image, but since I'm the first one, I'll give it a crack.

Try setting's on monitor, itself.
Try lowering refresh rate to around 75 - 85 to see if helps.
try lowering resolution to 800x600 - 1024x768 to see if that helps.
If all else fails, try uninstall and reinstall video drivers.
Really I'm just guessing though.

the image was to show how the banding looked on my screen, it isnt straight across, it curves and bluges in the middle like that. It was the easiest way i could think of to show it.

The refresh is at 75hz now, but i will try lowering the res to see if that makes any difference.

Lezmaka
03-20-03, 10:09 PM
It kind of looks like a moire pattern. One of my monitors has controls to get rid of moire. But I'm not sure if that's whats going on with your system, since as far as i know, the moire pattern is usually vertical, not horizontal like in your pic.

InDirectX
03-21-03, 04:56 PM
well so far nothing seems to help, judging by the fact it is 2.5 years old it could be heat damage maybe. i know my old stock fan seized up and it was a while before i knew what happened. I then replaced it with a Blue ORB. so maybe its just a continuation of when that happend. anyway thanks for the help so far.

Woodelf
03-21-03, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by InDirectX
well so far nothing seems to help, judging by the fact it is 2.5 years old it could be heat damage maybe. i know my old stock fan seized up and it was a while before i knew what happened. I then replaced it with a Blue ORB. so maybe its just a continuation of when that happend. anyway thanks for the help so far.
Try another card?.;)

InDirectX
03-22-03, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Lezmaka
It kind of looks like a moire pattern. One of my monitors has controls to get rid of moire. But I'm not sure if that's whats going on with your system, since as far as i know, the moire pattern is usually vertical, not horizontal like in your pic.

well i found Moire Controls on my monitor, Horizontal and Vertical. I tried changing both and nothing seems to change. Anyway thanks for the help but I'm still perplexed by this.

ToastGodSupreme
03-24-03, 01:44 PM
eh, not the video card, but the monitor

seriously, I had a crapass daewoo back in the day and had the EXACT same banding problem.

extremely visible when using lighter color bgs right?

well, new monitor = fix

I tried 3 diff video cards before i figured it was the monitor