PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe yet?

DiscipleDOC
04-17-07, 10:43 AM
So...is it safe for me to go to Vista yet? I want to, but I do not want to get frustrated with the drivers and such.

Are the drivers good enough for me to move on over to Vista?

Tr1cK
04-17-07, 10:49 AM
I'm waiting for SP1 first.

nekrosoft13
04-17-07, 10:57 AM
Dude, vista is dangerous, mine was bundled with a boogie-man. Had to scare him off, but it took a while

Amuro
04-17-07, 11:05 AM
Do a dual boot.

Tr1cK
04-17-07, 11:12 AM
I have yet to understand the reasoning to dual booting Vista other than to look at it. Why use it partially and not the OS with the best compatibility?

Monolyth
04-17-07, 11:32 AM
I was dual booting for a bit and only booted into XP once or twice after about a month of owning Vista. I've since reformatted and gone completely to Vista and while I've had a few lock-ups, everything is still working well. Another 3-4 months of app-compat releases & drive updates and Vista will be a very reliable OS.

Aside from 3D Apps/games, the O/S itself is very stable, I think I've had maybe one lock-up while working in the O/S and the built-in document versioning & retrieval system rules, usually have a stat spreadsheet out while I'm playing WoW (yes uber nerd hehe). And I've crashed a few times while in WoW and the next time I loaded up the spreadsheet it gave me options to restore the latest version (without me even having to save). YAY! :)

mullet
04-17-07, 11:35 AM
Dude, vista is dangerous, mine was bundled with a boogie-man. Had to scare him off, but it took a while
Aside from 3D Apps/games, the O/S itself is very stable,

:rofl

Monolyth
04-17-07, 01:23 PM
:rofl

You took my quote in a way I was not intending, I really meant that when not in 3D apps the O/S was very stable, which while in 3D apps you are more dependent on good drivers then the O/S being unstable that is what I really meant.

I believe the O/S to be very stable and when it's not it provides solid abilities to recover, not to mention the problem reporting is an awesome feature that allows me to track submitted problems to MS and see if there are available solutions. I never once submitted a problem in XP, but in Vista I submit them every time because I'm given an incentive and possibly in the future, fast solutions to my problems..

|JuiceZ|
04-17-07, 01:32 PM
Hey Big D, I would wait. Give the drivers more time to mature and save you some headaches. MikeC's article was another confirmation of what the general consensus is when it comes to Vista & Gaming right now.

grey_1
04-17-07, 01:54 PM
Right now Vista 64bit is the only MS product I'm using. I don't have all my apps installed yet but as I type this:

STALKER, FEAR & FEARxp, Doom 3 with the new 158.18s - Beautiful.
Photoshop Elements - Got an incompatibility warning, but everything works.
E-sword
Yahoo messenger
Adaware
ccleaner
Office 2003
7zip
Fraps reg. ver.
Avast antivir.

Still have a few to go, But I personally have no worries with it atm.

DiscipleDOC
04-17-07, 02:23 PM
Hey Big D, I would wait. Give the drivers more time to mature and save you some headaches. MikeC's article was another confirmation of what the general consensus is when it comes to Vista & Gaming right now.
Yea...I will probably give it another month.

Right now Vista 64bit is the only MS product I'm using. I don't have all my apps installed yet but as I type this:

STALKER, FEAR & FEARxp, Doom 3 with the new 158.18s - Beautiful.
Photoshop Elements - Got an incompatibility warning, but everything works.
E-sword
Yahoo messenger
Adaware
ccleaner
Office 2003
7zip
Fraps reg. ver.
Avast antivir.

Still have a few to go, But I personally have no worries with it atm.
Grey, I was waiting to hear from you. I know you're doing a lot of extensive testing with games and such on the Vista platform, and I wanted to hear from you to see how it was going.

I'm still getting a mixed bag of feelings when it comes to installing/upgrading to Vista x64, but I think I will wait a bit more to stay on the safe side.

Tr1cK
04-17-07, 02:32 PM
I really do think waiting is the best Doc. I'm anxious to see it too, but heck, I even waited for 2-3 years on XP because Windows 2000 did everything perfectly for me at the time. Vista is a much bigger jump, so I don't think I will wait out as long.

Dragunov
04-17-07, 02:45 PM
I read somewhere MS is gonna drop DRM in Vista (nana2)

grey_1
04-17-07, 03:34 PM
I'm just the impatient type DD, Waiting til SP1 certainly isn't going to hurt. I'm very happy with it atm, but I'm not getting anything extra I didn't have in XP either.

Let us know if you try it and how it goes.

Peoples-Agent
04-19-07, 07:24 PM
Don't do it , it's not worth it lol

All your really getting extra is a fancy desktop theme. The rest you won't notice yet, maybe down the line... but not now.

Hambone
04-19-07, 07:35 PM
Don't do it , it's not worth it lol

All your really getting extra is a fancy desktop theme. The rest you won't notice yet, maybe down the line... but not now.

Nope. Not true.

There's so many "little" things you do notice. For example, all MP3 tag elements being part of Explorer now (so you can display any tag elements in listview). I can organize and work with MP3 files in Explorer now for a lot of things I need to do rather than relying on 3rd part software for everything.

There isn't really anything major, but overall it's as stable as XP and there's dozens of little nice things like I mentioned above that make it so much nicer than XP to work with.

I can't go back to XP now....

Sazar
04-19-07, 11:08 PM
I have yet to understand the reasoning to dual booting Vista other than to look at it. Why use it partially and not the OS with the best compatibility?

To check if it is good enough to move to.

It's the logical way to go.

I went ahead and dual-booted for a month and change before I went and removed XP completely from my system.

Vista is just... awesome :cool:

LycosV
04-20-07, 01:04 AM
I've got Vista running on my two latest machines. My primary machine, with an ATI card, has no problems whatsoever. Everything runs great. OpenGl games are slower but in all honesty there aren't that many openGl games around anymore.

My secondary machine has an nVidia card and SupCom was significantly slower in Vista than in XP, but with the latest drivers the speed problem has become unnoticable.

I would upgrade to Vista. No matter how long you wait you're going to have some pains when you switch, that's life when a new OS comes out. Service packs won't save the growing pains, updates are for stability and feature upgrades which to be honest Vista has in spades. The ONLY issue I've had with Vista is the nVidia drivers but they seem to be basically fixed (I'm not measuring FPS here, just feel) with the latest version for me.

nekrosoft13
04-20-07, 06:40 AM
I can't go back to XP now....

i feel the same way.

using xp at work now, its such a pain now

kam03
04-20-07, 09:31 AM
I don't see why anyone should wait, get use to Vista now so in the future it will be easier to troubleshoot.

Absolution
04-20-07, 11:10 AM
from using it since beta 1

no, dont get it atm, id gladly go back to xp if i didn't have to reinstall all of my programs

the performance hit in games is not worth it, i went from having 4x AA in source/fear down to no AA, there is over a 50% performance hit (I got 120fps on css stress test in xp with 4x AA, i get around 55 with the same settings in vista)

audio drivers also aren't up to par

mullet
04-20-07, 11:33 AM
You took my quote in a way I was not intending, I really meant that when not in 3D apps the O/S was very stable, which while in 3D apps you are more dependent on good drivers then the O/S being unstable that is what I really meant.

I believe the O/S to be very stable and when it's not it provides solid abilities to recover, not to mention the problem reporting is an awesome feature that allows me to track submitted problems to MS and see if there are available solutions. I never once submitted a problem in XP, but in Vista I submit them every time because I'm given an incentive and possibly in the future, fast solutions to my problems..

Dude I know what you were saying, I was just playing. I think Vista is a awsome OS.