PDA

View Full Version : Valve has been hacked ?

Pages : [1] 2

BioHazZarD
04-18-07, 09:22 AM
Wtf just saw this.. can this be true??

http://www.freenationfoundation.org/?page_id=24

|MaguS|
04-18-07, 09:31 AM
First time I have every seen a hacker do an interview.

Mr. Hunt
04-18-07, 09:33 AM
Yeah... reading the "interview" makes it seem fake... but you never know.

superklye
04-18-07, 09:34 AM
What a tool.

Mr. Hunt
04-18-07, 09:35 AM
What a tool.

Indeed... the bastard should be asking to release Portals and TF2... not a damn message on the damn site!

;)

russ_3d
04-18-07, 09:36 AM
slightly ot but my mate just got banned by VAC and hes never cheated before - hes my housemate, just got CS a couple of months ago :/

ralinn
04-18-07, 09:39 AM
Wtf just saw this.. can this be true??

http://www.freenationfoundation.org/?page_id=24
kids...

RAY16
04-18-07, 11:06 AM
Attention *****.

I think this MaddoxX guy is the founder of EMPORiO, the first group to release a steam emulator (first release with HL2 back when it came out).

Banko
04-18-07, 11:33 AM
Well it is believable, Valve doesn't seem to be that good with security, I mean the whole HL2 leak fiasco comes to mind.

ynnek
04-18-07, 12:39 PM
Well, at the very least, when they find who he is, if its real or not, he'll probably be charged for extortion and goto prison.

Rayman1968
04-18-07, 12:47 PM
Couple more links:

http://emp.damage-web.net/viewtopic.php?p=62590

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Valve_Hacked_Your_Info_may_be_at_risk

Camp0rz
04-18-07, 03:09 PM
"<^QuickSilver> True that"

"true that"? what a douche bag.

superklye
04-18-07, 03:13 PM
He has the absolute dumbest "demand" I have ever heard. I hope they catch him and try him as a terrorist in Gitmo.

ralinn
04-18-07, 04:26 PM
Well it is believable, Valve doesn't seem to be that good with security, I mean the whole HL2 leak fiasco comes to mind.
I doubt they're 'bad' when it comes to security though. If someone's determined to hack something and has the time to do it, I doubt there's much Valve could do about it.

Banko
04-18-07, 04:38 PM
Well I bet by now there have been a few determined hackers to hack 3DRealms, but we have never seen a leak of Duke Nukem Forever.

superklye
04-18-07, 08:12 PM
If VALVe really was hacked and CC#s were stolen, they would have told people IMMEDIATELY so they could check with their banks and such to make sure the cards/their identities weren't being used.

If it did happen and VALVe is keeping it quiet, they should be arrested and tried for aiding and abetting an identity thief.

Morrow
04-18-07, 10:13 PM
If VALVe really was hacked and CC#s were stolen, they would have told people IMMEDIATELY so they could check with their banks and such to make sure the cards/their identities weren't being used.

Actually no. In cases like this, where ten thousands or even hundred thousands creditcard numbers are stolen, the robbed company immediately enters in direct contact with the banks to block the creditcard numbers right away.

Sending each an every customers a letter with the news would take to long and some people would receive the info to late after the damage could already been done. If the story is true, and it really seems so, then the numbers most probably are already being blocked.

If it did happen and VALVe is keeping it quiet, they should be arrested and tried for aiding and abetting an identity thief.

They most probably have to keep quiet till the investigations are over. But unfortunately for them, the hacker is Russian which means it won't be easy to catch him, if at all.

The real problem I see however is Valve themselves or rather their security. How is it possible that they are keeping all the customers information, their bank account detail, several non-public applications and other stuff on the same PC? That's just plain crazy and stupid and makes me wonder if they have learned anything from the previous hack attempt?

I seriously reconsider buying anything from Steam in the future if Valve really is not interested at all to implement the most basic security measurements possible.

|MaguS|
04-18-07, 10:22 PM
Actually no. In cases like this, where ten thousands or even hundred thousands creditcard numbers are stolen, the robbed company immediately enters in direct contact with the banks to block the creditcard numbers right away.

Sending each an every customers a letter with the news would take to long and some people would receive the info to late after the damage could already been done. If the story is true, and it really seems so, then the numbers most probably are already being blocked.

They most probably have to keep quiet till the investigations are over. But unfortunately for them, the hacker is Russian which means it won't be easy to catch him, if at all.

The real problem I see however is Valve themselves or rather their security. How is it possible that they are keeping all the customers information, their bank account detail, several non-public applications and other stuff on the same PC? That's just plain crazy and stupid and makes me wonder if they have learned anything from the previous hack attempt?

I seriously reconsider buying anything from Steam in the future if Valve really is not interested at all to implement the most basic security measurements possible.

It's not that suprising that a talent hacker would be able to get access to such information if they wanted to. I mean many of the major credit card companies have been hacked in the last couple of years and well I would expect them to have far bette security then Valve.

Link to MasterCard being hacked and gaining access to 40 Million CC Numbers in 2005 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/17/AR2005061701031.html?nav=hcmodule)

SH0DAN
04-18-07, 11:28 PM
It's not that suprising that a talent hacker would be able to get access to such information if they wanted to. I mean many of the major credit card companies have been hacked in the last couple of years and well I would expect them to have far bette security then Valve.

Link to MasterCard being hacked and gaining access to 40 Million CC Numbers in 2005 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/17/AR2005061701031.html?nav=hcmodule)

Magus was there not another HUGE security leak similiar to that one recently in the news,with CC #'s ? :(

RAY16
04-19-07, 03:03 AM
Magus was there not another HUGE security leak similiar to that one recently in the news,with CC #'s ? :(

Yes. It was T.J Maxx/Marshals Jewelers.

http://news.com.com/T.J.+Maxx+hack+exposes+consumer+data/2100-1029_3-6151017.html

And from their website:

LETTER FROM TJXS PRESIDENT AND CEO

February 21, 2007

To Our Valued Customers:

As TJXs President and Chief Executive Officer, I want our customers to know how much I personally regret any difficulties you may experience as a result of the unauthorized intrusion into our computer systems. We are working with leading computer security firms to investigate the problem and enhance our computer security in order to protect our customers data. We are dedicating significant resources to evaluate the issue. Given the nature of the breach, the size and international scope of our operations and the complexity of the way credit card transactions are processed, the evaluation is, by necessity, taking time.

Since we learned of the probability of a breach in mid-December 2006, we have cooperated with law enforcement as well as with the banks and credit card companies that process our customer transactions. Further, we have established customer helplines in three countries and are making available a great deal of helpful information on our company websites.

We are committed to continue to address the situation and to provide periodic updates as we learn more. We have reported updated information in a press release which you will find below.

Additionally, I encourage you to access the information we are providing on this website to learn more about steps you can take to protect your credit and debit card information, or to contact our special customer helplines.

With the help of computer security experts, we have strengthened the security of our computer systems and we believe customers should feel safe shopping in our stores. We value the trust our customers place in us and again, Id like you to know that we sincerely apologize for any difficulties you may be caused. Thank you for continuing to shop at our stores and for your years of loyal patronage.

Respectfully,

Carol Meyrowitz
President and Chief Executive Officer

http://www.tjmaxx.com/index.asp

BioHazZarD
04-19-07, 06:03 AM
Well i managed to download the image of their balance sheet account.. looks preety real to me.

grey_1
04-19-07, 06:26 AM

This is one of the major reasons I won't purchase over steam, and what I see as an inherent flaw in the whole idea of it.

I'm not risking my identity info and cc# for a game.

superklye
04-19-07, 07:24 AM

I didn't mean to send a personalized (e)mail to every single person. I meant make a big announcement saying, "We've been hacked and x number of CCs may have been compromised. Check your account and contact your bank if any unauthorized charges appear."

Badboy_12345
04-19-07, 07:51 AM
its the same person who hacked valve last time and released hl2 alpha :p

msxyz
04-19-07, 08:33 AM
Nope, that was a german kid, if I remember correctly.

Well, it sucks for the people involved but I won't cry for Valve. I'm still waiting for the "supposed" advantages of buying directly from the developers instead of passing through a publisher. I think their pricing scheme is hardly competitive and the hassle of going thorugh an online validation process (not to mention downloading the content itself) is something I'd rather avoid.