PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5B DX Problem

schuey74
04-18-07, 06:12 PM
My PC is refusing to boot. There's an LED on the mobo that usually is red, but is now blue. According to the manual that means that the system is in sleep/soft-off mode. My question is....what the hell put my system into sleep/soft-off mode and how the hell do I get it back?!

Here's what I did. I came home from work and turned off the PC to dust it. A few bucks in compressed air later and I closed it up to turn it back on. After switching the power supply back on I noticed the blue instead of red light shining thru the fan holes. Pressed the power button and nothing happened - I mean absolutely nothing.....not a click, not a fan moving, nada.

Now here's what I've tried:

1. Resetting CMOS (jumper, remove battery, etc...)
2. Only connecting PS/2 Mouse and keyboard - no other peripherals
3. Different video card
4. Another power cable
5. Another Asus P5B DX Mobo

Obviously none of the above solved my problem or helped at all. I know with 100% certainty that the other mobo is fine since if both motherboards are lighting up blue then something other than the mobo is the problem. I can't imagine it being the CPU since it was watercooled and modestly overclocked (for a C2D, anyways). This leaves the power supply which is a one month old 600W Enermax which worked without a hitch until now. I have an OCZ 700W I am waiting on an RMA for so I really hope I don't have to buy another PS.

So if anyone has ever had this ****ing blue light come on and they've solved this problem please let me know. Otherwise I will have to spend my Thursday night playing Frankenstein with a few PCs to solve this. (I've got to bring one of my work PCs home and I am not going back to the office tonight!)

8800gtsfan
04-18-07, 08:02 PM
My PC is refusing to boot. There's an LED on the mobo that usually is red, but is now blue. According to the manual that means that the system is in sleep/soft-off mode. My question is....what the hell put my system into sleep/soft-off mode and how the hell do I get it back?!

Here's what I did. I came home from work and turned off the PC to dust it. A few bucks in compressed air later and I closed it up to turn it back on. After switching the power supply back on I noticed the blue instead of red light shining thru the fan holes. Pressed the power button and nothing happened - I mean absolutely nothing.....not a click, not a fan moving, nada.

Now here's what I've tried:

1. Resetting CMOS (jumper, remove battery, etc...)
2. Only connecting PS/2 Mouse and keyboard - no other peripherals
3. Different video card
4. Another power cable
5. Another Asus P5B DX Mobo

Obviously none of the above solved my problem or helped at all. I know with 100% certainty that the other mobo is fine since if both motherboards are lighting up blue then something other than the mobo is the problem. I can't imagine it being the CPU since it was watercooled and modestly overclocked (for a C2D, anyways). This leaves the power supply which is a one month old 600W Enermax which worked without a hitch until now. I have an OCZ 700W I am waiting on an RMA for so I really hope I don't have to buy another PS.

So if anyone has ever had this ****ing blue light come on and they've solved this problem please let me know. Otherwise I will have to spend my Thursday night playing Frankenstein with a few PCs to solve this. (I've got to bring one of my work PCs home and I am not going back to the office tonight!)

2 things left then - PSU or memory. Try pulling all your memory and see what happens?

schuey74
04-18-07, 08:10 PM
2 things left then - PSU or memory. Try pulling all your memory and see what happens?

I forgot to mention that I tried both sticks of memory seperately so it's probably not the memory - tomorrow I will try two other sticks from another system though, just in case.

And yup, the power supply is what I need from my work system, which I will also check out tomorrow.

Since you have the same mobo, does yours ever have blue LED on instead of the red? I really can't remember ever seeing blue before, but I'm not sure.