PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer BD Burner Announced

Bman212121
04-18-07, 10:56 PM
Pioneer is going to launch a new burner for the pc for Blu-ray discs. The nice thing is the price, it is only $299 for a drive that read and burn BD/DVD/CD.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=140

The only thing that needs to be resolved is the price of the media. Even if it just made it down to $5 a disc, it would be a decent price for 50GB storage.

I'd love to see that drive with norton ghost. You could put your whole install with all the apps included onto one disc, and then just re-imagine when you break your install.

Also, does anyone know if PowerDVD or any other program has their HD playback straightend out? I have a HDCP compatible card, monitor, can do 1080p res, so I might splurge so that I can play movies on my pc as well.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-18-07, 11:02 PM
This is not a BD Burner, it is a combo drive = Plays BDs and will burn DVD and CDs only

Currently the cheapest burner on the market for BD is about $500. I would have been surprised if they would have had this much of a sudden price drop on them

1337_Like_ThaT
04-18-07, 11:04 PM
Dub

Bman212121
04-18-07, 11:24 PM
This is not a BD Burner, it is a combo drive = Plays BDs and will burn DVD and CDs only

Currently the cheapest burner on the market for BD is about $500. I would have been surprised if they would have had this much of a sudden price drop on them

Heh, I guess I can't read the fine print. I see it even mention BD-R and BD-RE, as well as Blu-ray burner, but they aren't in the same sentence. Glad you pointed that out, but that kind of stinks cause that would be the main reason for getting one.

1337_Like_ThaT
04-18-07, 11:25 PM
Heh, I guess I can't read the fine print. I see it even mention BD-R and BD-RE, as well as Blu-ray burner, but they aren't in the same sentence. Glad you pointed that out, but that kind of stinks cause that would be the main reason for getting one.

Hehe, true but technically this makes it the cheapest Blu Ray player on the market, so for those with HDCP supported hardware, more power to you :)

Madpistol
04-19-07, 12:44 AM
$300 for just a BD player???

I'll wait until prices fall to around $150. :thumbdwn:

Bearclaw
04-19-07, 01:05 AM

Wait a few years until there like DVD burners and wait until there 30 bucks.

Haha. :D

superklye
04-19-07, 07:21 AM

Uh...you know the next cheapest BD player is the PS3 at $600 and the upcoming Sony stand-alone deck for $600, right? This is currently the absolute cheapest BD player on the market.

nekrosoft13
04-19-07, 08:49 AM
useless

OWA
04-19-07, 08:53 AM
Also, does anyone know if PowerDVD or any other program has their HD playback straightend out? I have a HDCP compatible card, monitor, can do 1080p res, so I might splurge so that I can play movies on my pc as well.
Yeah, how does that work? What player do you use and can you take hi-res screenshots or do they block that sort of thing.

Edit: Looks like the Inq made the same mistake...thinking it was a burner also.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39034

Ancient
04-19-07, 08:55 AM
I use it to playback HD DVD and it works great. Based on the feedback on AVS Forums, PowerDVD works fine with BD as well. For either format with P-DVD though you're better off with an HDCP-enabled NVIDIA card (not usually an issue for peeps in this forum) and a 7-series card at that if you need to be able to adjust overscan.

I wish they'd come out with an internal mount HD DVD/BD combo player. I'd like to be able to play either format and be able to get rid of that XBOX 360 HD DVD player. Quite frankly, it's ugly.

Madpistol
04-19-07, 10:35 AM
Uh...you know the next cheapest BD player is the PS3 at $600 and the upcoming Sony stand-alone deck for $600, right? This is currently the absolute cheapest BD player on the market.

Which is still a ton for a BD-player. I'll wait until the prices fall into "affordable" territory.

BTW, we're talking about a BD-player for PC. $300 for a player is just rediculious. Besides, you have to have a pretty decent PC to play BD's anyway. When you factor in the cost of the PC as well as the drive, it's just not worth it.

ViN86
04-19-07, 11:01 AM

its better than the current cheapest BD player (PS3) :lol:

there is one out there for less than a PS3 (Samsung BD-P1000). still steep cost.

superklye
04-19-07, 11:35 AM
its better than the current cheapest BD player (PS3) :lol:

there is one out there for less than a PS3 (Samsung BD-P1000). still steep cost.
I already said this. ;)

ANd most people concerned with BD/HD DVD playback already have a computer that is more than capable of handling it, so it's a moot point.

That's like complaining that you have to spend a ~$1000 on a decent HDTV and more money for surround sound in order to have a stand-alone player of either.

If you didn't have the capability for the most out of the player, you wouldn't be considering it anyway.

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 12:04 PM
I don't know what the big deal is with wanting to use Blu Ray for backups. IMO, the best way to back up a ton of data is to fill a hard drive and then stick it on a shelf somewhere.

Most 10-15 year old hard drives I've seen still work just fine. I've seen hard drives that survived a house fire (with the majority of the PC case melted) and the data was recovered easily. I'd love to see an optical disk or a tape hold up to that.

You can buy a 120Gb Seagate 7200.9 SATA drive with a 5 year warranty for a measly $52:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148161

I bought a 320gig 7200.10 with an ESATA enclosure and I have 320Gb of backup space that can be written pretty much infinitely, is guaranteed to be defect free for 5 years, is faster than most internal drives and can withstand quite a bit of abuse if disaster ever strikes my house. All that about 1\7th the price of a blue ray burner (not including the $100 it'd cost you to get 320Gb of Blu-Ray disks).

*shrug*

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.

I used to back up on DVDs, but honestly it was a pain in the ass, and if those disks ever took any minor damage they would be worthless. I can't imagine doing that with several hundred gigs of data on the line...

lduguay
04-19-07, 03:22 PM
Considering that a 25GB blank BD-R runs for 24.00$CDN (BB), it would still be cheaper to buy a 100GB HD for every single backup. Provided that you backup at least 100GB

Bman212121
04-19-07, 05:11 PM
I don't know what the big deal is with wanting to use Blu Ray for backups. IMO, the best way to back up a ton of data is to fill a hard drive and then stick it on a shelf somewhere.

Most 10-15 year old hard drives I've seen still work just fine. I've seen hard drives that survived a house fire (with the majority of the PC case melted) and the data was recovered easily. I'd love to see an optical disk or a tape hold up to that.

You can buy a 120Gb Seagate 7200.9 SATA drive with a 5 year warranty for a measly $52:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148161

I bought a 320gig 7200.10 with an ESATA enclosure and I have 320Gb of backup space that can be written pretty much infinitely, is guaranteed to be defect free for 5 years, is faster than most internal drives and can withstand quite a bit of abuse if disaster ever strikes my house. All that about 1\7th the price of a blue ray burner (not including the $100 it'd cost you to get 320Gb of Blu-Ray disks).

*shrug*

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.

I used to back up on DVDs, but honestly it was a pain in the ass, and if those disks ever took any minor damage they would be worthless. I can't imagine doing that with several hundred gigs of data on the line...

At present time, sure this discs are way too expensive. I do keep a lot of important stuff on HD's, but I also have a lot of other garbage that it would be a lot easier to burn off. I'm not sure if I'll ever use it again, but I just want it there to make sure. A $5 for a 50GB disc, you could back up 500GB of data for $50.

The other big thing that I do with DVD's now is I might have a bunch of data that someone wants, I can just burn it all to a disc and hand them it. I don't have to worry about getting it back because it isn't worth much. For archiving purposes your right, I wouldn't put anything important on them, but for other stuff that I'd like to keep it is cheap storage. I always keep at least 2 copies of something anyway, so I would more than likely get a drive to put it on, and put it on a disc. If someone knocked that drive off the shelf, you can consider the data toast whereas if it's a disc in a folder, it would still be fine.

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 07:51 PM
At present time, sure this discs are way too expensive. I do keep a lot of important stuff on HD's, but I also have a lot of other garbage that it would be a lot easier to burn off. I'm not sure if I'll ever use it again, but I just want it there to make sure. A $5 for a 50GB disc, you could back up 500GB of data for $50.

The other big thing that I do with DVD's now is I might have a bunch of data that someone wants, I can just burn it all to a disc and hand them it. I don't have to worry about getting it back because it isn't worth much. For archiving purposes your right, I wouldn't put anything important on them, but for other stuff that I'd like to keep it is cheap storage. I always keep at least 2 copies of something anyway, so I would more than likely get a drive to put it on, and put it on a disc. If someone knocked that drive off the shelf, you can consider the data toast whereas if it's a disc in a folder, it would still be fine.
Yeah, if the prices come down significantly it'll be a good backup media... it just seems a bit too soon for everyone to be looking to switch over to BD for storage.

Oh, and most hard drives can survive a ton of punishment as long as they are properly shut down (so that the heads are parked and away from the platters). Unless you spike it off of a cement floor so that the PCB and connectors snap off, it should be fine. It still takes a lot more than that to actually ruin the data though. I trust hard drives over most other devices. I've actually been considering buying another 320gig 7200.10 just to have around as another backup... :o

Bman212121
04-19-07, 08:58 PM
Yeah, if the prices come down significantly it'll be a good backup media... it just seems a bit too soon for everyone to be looking to switch over to BD for storage.

Oh, and most hard drives can survive a ton of punishment as long as they are properly shut down (so that the heads are parked and away from the platters). Unless you spike it off of a cement floor so that the PCB and connectors snap off, it should be fine. It still takes a lot more than that to actually ruin the data though. I trust hard drives over most other devices. I've actually been considering buying another 320gig 7200.10 just to have around as another backup... :o

Nope, I sure wouldn't be doing it right now, that is for sure. It might be a nice option in the future though. Either way, this drive can't write BD's, so it's kind of a moot point now. :(

I'm not sure if I would be able to trust a drive after it fell more than 3 ft, even if it did stay working. But I guess as long as it worked long enought to get your data off of it, that is good enough. If you only have 1 copy of your data, I would probably get another drive. Heck, if you had stuff like family photos, put that on a drive, and either drop it in your desk at work, or put it into a fire resistant box in your house. ;)

nrdstrm
04-19-07, 09:01 PM
Freakin INQ...
The drive can play standard Blu-ray movies, which will make it a good pairing with a new Radeon or GeForce card to support hardware H.264 decoding. It can also play back and record BD-R and BD-RE discs (both single and dual layer).

But yeah, when the burners get down to the sub-300 level, I'll probably bite, unless a combo drive comes out for the same price sooner (BD+HD-DVD).

As to why would I want to back up 25GB on a $11 Blu-Ray disc, rather than use an HDD? The answer is simple...I have ALOT of data and the hard drives/hard drive enclosures are adding up...Space (Physical) is becoming a premium...

Bman212121
04-19-07, 09:06 PM
Freakin INQ...

But yeah, when the burners get down to the sub-300 level, I'll probably bite, unless a combo drive comes out for the same price sooner (BD+HD-DVD).

As to why would I want to back up 25GB on a $11 Blu-Ray disc, rather than use an HDD? The answer is simple...I have ALOT of data and the hard drives/hard drive enclosures are adding up...Space (Physical) is becoming a premium...

Where can you get em for $11? Still right now is doesn't really make sense unfortunately. Even for space reasons. A 20pk spindle would hold 500GB for over $200, and take up as much space as a single 500GB HD that only costs $140.

If it were an HD/BR reader and combo burner, I probably would be pulling the trigger as well.

nrdstrm
04-19-07, 09:29 PM
Verbatum 10.99 :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130011

OWA
04-19-07, 10:22 PM

It's easier to store CDs/DVDs/ or possibly BDs/HD-DVDs in a fire-proof safe (especially the small'ish one that I have). It's also much easier to have backups of backups of backups of some media like CD/DVD etc. than having several hard drives.

Anyway, I use hard drives as backups as well (several of them) but I also backup important documents (and stuff in general) that I really don't want to lose to CDs/DVDs. I'd like to have a BD burner so it doesn't take so many discs. At work, it would be really nice since it could help reduce the number of discs used to archive data which means a lot less discs to keep track of (and less space).

Bman212121
04-19-07, 10:27 PM
Verbatum 10.99 :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130011

Hmm, so maybe by this time next year, they'll have 50GBer's for $5, and the burner will be under $250. One can only hope right... :)