PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good and Evil performance finally fixed?

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 09:14 AM
I don't know if its just because of my 8800GTX, but this game runs great now! The hover craft levels in the game were totally unplayable on my 7950GX2 last year, and unless you used a registry hack to make the water look like crap, it was like that on any geforce 6 or 7 series cards.

Last time I tried the game it didn't work very well in Vista x64 (lots of artifacting), but I hadn't tried it in XP since upgrading to an 8800.

I don't know if its the new drivers or if its just this card, but I can play it at 2048x1536 with all settings maxed and it runs great the whole time. Certain transparency effects make it chug a little bit, but it hardly ever happens. The water levels look great and run perfectly smooth.

So if anyone has been wanting to replay this game but hasn't been able to because of the poor performance, you might want to give it another try with either an 8-series card or the newest nvidia drivers (im using 158.19 in XP).

It was well worth the wait though... I just played the game for like 6 hours straight. Its freaking AWESOME. Its very unique, and it doesn't play like most platform\third person action adventure games. I love how you don't have to do stupid jumping puzzles... the jumping is all automatic.

The textures look pretty horrible in a lot of places (its a console game from 3 or 4 years ago, thats understandable) but overall the graphics are pretty nice and have a good feel to them.

AdamK47
04-19-07, 09:17 AM
I bought the game a month ago for $6. I can't play it all since I can't seem to get it working in Vista x64. How did you get it working in Vista x64?

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 09:23 AM
I bought the game a month ago for $6. I can't play it all since I can't seem to get it working in Vista x64. How did you get it working in Vista x64?
I don't think I did anything special, but the game was pretty much 90% graphical artifacts. I couldn't really see or do anything.

It works fine in XP.

I'm using the version downloaded through Hit-Points. Its upgraded to 1.001 (the only patch).

muaddib
04-19-07, 09:24 AM
What version is better? XBOX or PC?
Thanks.

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 09:32 AM
What version is better? XBOX or PC?
Thanks.
I'm loving the PC version.

Its probably a preference thing.

Would you rather have mouse and keyboard controls and super high resolutions or a gamepad and chunky low resolutions? :p

kevJ420
04-19-07, 10:16 AM
I'm loving the PC version.

Its probably a preference thing.

Would you rather have mouse and keyboard controls and super high resolutions or a gamepad and chunky low resolutions? :p

it's far more than just higher res. the pc version looks so much better, I'd not care if it controlled 10X worse than xbox version.

Xion X2
04-19-07, 10:19 AM
BG&E's a good game. Some of the later levels on there are exceptionally cool. It has some really unique stuff toward the end.

spaceigg
04-19-07, 10:27 AM
Love the game!
I will have to reinstall it. :afro:

Tr1cK
04-19-07, 10:54 AM
It seemed to run right on my 7800gt. I did have to use vsync or I had some bad issues. I haven't tried it yet on my 8800gts.

OldOfEvil
04-19-07, 12:35 PM
It ran perfectly fine on my 9800 Pro. Hrmm..

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 01:06 PM
It ran perfectly fine on my 9800 Pro. Hrmm..
Yeah, it was just 6 and 7 series cards, but from what I've read they all had the same problem. Extremely low framerates when in the water\hovercraft levels. It was probably running in the 15-20fps range on my 7950gx2 (regardless of resolution), while the rest of the game ran at a constant 85+.

muaddib
04-19-07, 05:06 PM
Actually I prefer a gamepad... I guess it's control vs. graphics.

I hate it when games aren't platform exclusive.

Jackrabbit710
04-19-07, 07:31 PM
We have to be very carfull when using the words mouse + keyboard VS gamepad in these forums, it always ends up with console people invading!

I see you have started you list of games to finish CaptnKill!:captnkill:

Quick420
04-20-07, 09:11 AM
Water levels seem fine here,vsync at 100hz and my fps stays at 100 everywhere.Very fun game,I'm glad I tried it out.

WeReWoLf
04-20-07, 09:36 AM
I don't think I did anything special, but the game was pretty much 90% graphical artifacts. I couldn't really see or do anything.

It works fine in XP.

I'm using the version downloaded through Hit-Points. Its upgraded to 1.001 (the only patch).

That's pretty much how Scarface is on Vista 32 or 64

ynnek
04-20-07, 01:55 PM
actually, I believe the old drivers(real old, right when the game came out originally) for the 6800gt at least, ran BG&E well.. then something broke on the later driver release.

CaptNKILL
05-02-07, 04:16 PM
I just finished this game last night. It was freaking awesome. :thumbsup:

It really needs a sequel though. It left a lot of questions unanswered.

There have been rumors of a sequel in the works since 2005 but nothing has been confirmed (though the original designers have said multiple times that it was possible and they wanted to do it).

I'd put this game in the same category with Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. If you like either of those, get this game. :)

kevJ420
05-02-07, 05:43 PM
I just finished this game last night. It was freaking awesome. :thumbsup:

It really needs a sequel though. It left a lot of questions unanswered.

There have been rumors of a sequel in the works since 2005 but nothing has been confirmed (though the original designers have said multiple times that it was possible and they wanted to do it).

I'd put this game in the same category with Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. If you like either of those, get this game. :)

I could have sworn I saw an interview with Michel Ancel saying he is going to do it.

IIRC (I might not) I thought I read that a sequel is his current project.