PDA

View Full Version : My attempt to get back into gaming...

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 02:33 PM
Ok, for the longest time I've been thinking about how little I really play games these days and how many games I have played (and loved) but never finished for some reason. Today I decided to make a list of games to finish... and as the list got longer and longer I realized that I need to do something differently. :p

I don't want to turn it into an assignment just to force myself to finish games, but I seem to be wasting my time doing a lot of things (for one, browsing the internet and hanging around the forums doing nothing) when I should be enjoying my gaming hobby and the computer I worked so hard to build. That, and I'm sick of leaving so many loose ends hanging with so many great games. I want to finish these damn things! :p

Since STALKER was released I've been playing games a little more, but still not nearly as much as I'd like to. I still end up wasting 90% of my free time doing absolutely nothing at all.

Anyways... here is the list of games I made up that I want to finish. Some of them I've nearly finished, others I haven't even started. The ones in bold are the ones that are a priority, like I have the save files still and I played them recently enough that I wouldn't be totally lost if I started right back into them.

... this list may shock you... :p

SNES
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Secret of Evermore
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Earthbound
Drakkhen

Genesis
Beyond Oasis
King's Bounty

PC
Company of Heroes
Oblivion
C&C:3
STALKER
Nox
Beyond Good and Evil
Painkiller
Scrapland
KOTOR 2
Gothic 2
Cold Zero
Empire Earth
Thief 3

Old PC Games
Sin
Fallout
Crusader: No Remorse
Crusader: No Regret
C&C Red Alert
C&C
Daggerfall
Syndicate Wars
Lands of Lore 2
Star Control 2: The Ur Quan Masters (port)
Baldur's Gate

Playstation
King's Field

So... if I'm not around as much as usual, don't worry about me. I'm going to try to keep myself knee deep in these games any time I'm at my PC. I still have a social life, it just sucks having all of those great games waiting to be finished while I just sit around staring at text all night. :retard:

J-Mag
04-19-07, 02:40 PM
Star Control 2 FTW!!!

What ever happened to games where two people could play on the same PC?

jcrox
04-19-07, 02:49 PM
Yeah really...I love co-op games, I was totally addicted to the arcade game Ikari Warriors and the SNES game Smash tv....wish they had more games like that.

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 02:50 PM
Dammit, whats with all the new gaming screenshots, news and footage today? I was actually going to go play a game like 10 minutes ago but theres new screenies and videos plastered all over the gaming news sites.

:banghead:

:p

DRen72
04-19-07, 02:53 PM
My favorites on your list would be Oblivion, STALKER, Painkiller, KOTOR 2, and Thief 3.

STALKER keeps locking up on me frequently in the Army Warehouse level and thats caused me to stop playing it for now. I've thought about playing Thief 3 again though because I love the Thief series.

SebC
04-19-07, 03:07 PM
There's a LOTR game on the snes?!

FastRedPonyCar
04-19-07, 03:24 PM
Star Control 2 FTW!!!

What ever happened to games where two people could play on the same PC?
Serious sam dude! 1 ps2 mouse and half the keyboard and a USB mouse and the other half of the keyboard FTW!!

You could even use dual monitor setup and each player get their own monitor.

Tr1cK
04-19-07, 03:43 PM
You gonna do the sequels as well? Like Breath of Fire 2 for SNES, etc?

J-Mag
04-19-07, 04:13 PM
Serious sam dude! 1 ps2 mouse and half the keyboard and a USB mouse and the other half of the keyboard FTW!!

You could even use dual monitor setup and each player get their own monitor.

Heh, star control 2 was like that. Co-op games like these started the WASD revolution!

Yeah with the advent of USB one would think co-op type games would be more prevalent, since a rig can have many mouses and keyboards.

MaXThReAT
04-19-07, 04:23 PM
My Current list of games to complete is very similar:

Oblivion and E.Packs*
Company of Heroes*
STALKER*
GRAW
Nox2
Fable
NFSU&C
Flatout2
ToCA3
Hitman-Blood money*
KingKong Gamer.Ed*
Swat4-TSS*
Star Trek Elite Force II
All great games I just haven't had time to complete. I'm also playing through Fahrenheit and Riddick again for good measure. That's a huge list of great games, yours too. I know that work and girls have been getting in the way as odd as that sounds but I too need to "get back to gaming" I don't feel right if I don't get some good gaming time in and I'm looking forward to some dedicated RE4 time.

CaptNKILL
04-19-07, 04:47 PM
You gonna do the sequels as well? Like Breath of Fire 2 for SNES, etc?
We'll see.

I'm mostly just covering the games that I know and love but for some reason have never had time to finish.

Like Daggerfall... I've put a rather ridiculous amount of time into that game, but I've never gotten very far in the main quest.

Same with Oblivion. I've logged like 100+ hours and I'm maybe half way through the main quest. I'm mostly waiting for a system upgrade for that though. Or least to get rid of the stuttering and loading it does constantly in the wilderness... I'm just not happy with the way it runs so I've been putting off playing it for a while.

Since the latest version of DOSBox really improved performance on a lot of older games (especially 3d ones) I think I'll be playing a lot of the oldies too. I really want to whoop Crusader's ass.

... grr... look at me, I'm back here posting again.

I go to an appointment and to the bank, and I come right back and sit here on the forums. This place is like freaking heroin... :p

Woodelf
04-19-07, 05:02 PM
Great thread.

I vote for gothic 2 out of the games I have of yours, even with the bugs, it's more rewarding than Oblivion.
I'm actually enjoying Gothic 3 right now, just started though.
I don’t have stalker yet, but will next.

Oblivion gives me a headache just thinking about all of those dumb gates.

Here’s my list of unfinished games collection:

Xbox

Ssx3
Silent hill 2
Fatal frame
Gta vice city and III
Abe’s odd world
Simpsons H&R
Crimson skies
Fable
Jsrf
Sega gt 3
Deus ex invisible war
Fantastic 4
Blinx
Lord of the rings the reurn of the king
Hunter the reckoning
Hunter redeemer
Pirates of the carribean

Pc
Starwars racer
Wheel of time
Blood 2
Thief
Forsaken
mid town madness 2
carmageddon 2
nfs high stakes/porche
incoming
g-police
descent 3
speed busters
omikron
Independence war 1 and 2
Tribes 2
Harvester
Freedom force
Baldurs gate
Star trek the fallen
Ultimate race pro
Tony hawk 2
Sacred
System shock 2 (too bugged)
Lego racers 2
Red alert 2
The ripper
The Cameron files
Black dahlia
Project eden
Dirt track racing
Taz wanted
Black and white
Graw
Nwn 2 (I will though)
Serious sam

I won’t even get into Nintendo/super Nintendo/ps1 or psp (which is none).

Tr1cK
04-19-07, 05:39 PM
... grr... look at me, I'm back here posting again.

I go to an appointment and to the bank, and I come right back and sit here on the forums. This place is like freaking heroin... :p

Dualview and running games in full-screen windows are your friends. :D
I don't know how many nights I've done everything on my right monitor (19") while playing WoW on the left (22").

SwedX
04-19-07, 05:58 PM
I feel the same, I just do nothing more than browsing around..it's like an addict and I hate myself for not stopping but sure when my new rig is complete who should be by next week, if all goes well then I have tons of great games to play!

But I also know that I will be hanging around forums and news site to much anyway.

Please someone help me out of this misery, but a nice misery it is :D

SH64
04-19-07, 06:26 PM
I beat Thief3 two times .. 1st on normal & 2nd on hard. superb game!

ynnek
04-19-07, 07:21 PM
I only buy a new game, when I finish the exisitng one (or sometimes two) games I'm playing.

When I mean finish, either have to get to at least one ending in single player.. or play it soo many hours that I'm just sick of it and ready to move on to completely new game (like FF XII)

So I have tons of backlogged games.. I only look at PC games now, and usually limit them to the past 2 years or so.. It gets too "painful" to play a really old game.

Hambone
04-19-07, 08:43 PM
I'm on my 3rd Pass of F.E.A.R and it's expansion.

Strickly speaking of the joy of FPS solo play combat - it's the most fun I've had in a long time. Other games (Doom3, HL2) seem boering by compare.

Amaury
04-19-07, 09:19 PM
King's Field for PS. WOW!!!! loved this game. it had the right mix of action and rpg. very immersive game. makes you want to keep exploring and leveling up. loved the music. fit the slow pace of the game perfectly. never got around to completing the newer king's field on ps2. i'm in the same boat as you are. I find myself playing less and less the older i get (31). I get more involved in the technology side of the game than the actual gameplay itself.

crainger
04-20-07, 02:16 AM
ZOMG Syndicate Wars! Yes you must finish it! I'm still patiently waiting for EA or who ever owns the rights to make a new game.

Stalker has to be the first game to rival it with the amount of atmosphere. Syndicate Wars had rain, traffic, civillians (who could be brainwashed and enlisted) and those awesome billboards with trailers for Ghost in the Shell and the Judge Dredd anime.

Enough stuffing round on here CaptN. Stop being such a little girl and get in and play some games. Forget us, we're not important.

LT.Schaffer
04-20-07, 02:29 AM
^^:lol2:
that reminds me of this one time my bro and i were playing Syndicate.
My brother was on the very last level, it had taken him several hours to get through the level[because he got sidetracked]he was driving in a cab for the exit when we had a power hit and the computer shut off right as he was finishing the level!!
after that i could not stop laughing:rofl

My favorite weapon was the "Persuadeatron"

crainger
04-20-07, 04:28 AM
^^:lol2:
that reminds me of this one time my bro and i were playing Syndicate.
My brother was on the very last level, it had taken him several hours to get through the level[because he got sidetracked]he was driving in a cab for the exit when we had a power hit and the computer shut off right as he was finishing the level!!
after that i could not stop laughing:rofl

My favorite weapon was the "Persuadeatron"

I loved the Nuclear grenades. I think they were called cataclysm. The huge shield that expanded to contain the explosion, followed by a building falling to the ground. Stuff still not replicated in a game.

CaptNKILL
04-20-07, 05:42 AM
I loved the Nuclear grenades. I think they were called cataclysm. The huge shield that expanded to contain the explosion, followed by a building falling to the ground. Stuff still not replicated in a game.
I've always been a fan of the LR Rifle. It was so funny having all 4 of your men armed with them when an enemy transport came into range.

*BOBOBOOOOM*

Then you'd see the transport in flames, falling out of the sky and exploding into a building (or a group of pedestrians), before you even knew it was coming. :p

I have to admit, I've only been able to play the game using a money cheat (hit . to get a thousand dollars... hold it to let the cash roll in). It was just so freaking hard without it. The agents are so damn weak at the beginning and it takes every penny you have just to get them some decent equipment, by the time they have decent guns they are dieing with a single shot from an enemy. I enjoy the game much more when I have super soldiers running around leveling cities. :p

Its still not even close to being "easy". Its just less frustrating.

Arioch
04-20-07, 06:58 AM
I have fond memories of Fallout and Star Control 2. Some of my favorite games ever are still old school games.

crainger
04-20-07, 07:58 AM
I've always been a fan of the LR Rifle. It was so funny having all 4 of your men armed with them when an enemy transport came into range.

*BOBOBOOOOM*

Then you'd see the transport in flames, falling out of the sky and exploding into a building (or a group of pedestrians), before you even knew it was coming. :p

I have to admit, I've only been able to play the game using a money cheat (hit . to get a thousand dollars... hold it to let the cash roll in). It was just so freaking hard without it. The agents are so damn weak at the beginning and it takes every penny you have just to get them some decent equipment, by the time they have decent guns they are dieing with a single shot from an enemy. I enjoy the game much more when I have super soldiers running around leveling cities. :p

Its still not even close to being "easy". Its just less frustrating.

Money cheat?! Cool. I messed around with a trainer, but it caused to many glitches. I should get in a replay this, and take the time to master the Red and Blue drug system. I could never work thoat out so just played it without touching them :D

Thingding
04-20-07, 10:26 AM
Having loads of games to play actually sucks big time. I've got Supcom, C&C3, Stalker, Oblivion, Jade Empire and Armed Assault all just sitting there less than 10% done while I play Need for Speed every night :)

That must add up to a thousand hours worth of gameplay!