PDA

View Full Version : BFG 8800GTS OC 640MB temps?

zarlaan
04-22-07, 12:27 AM
Hello,

Just been noticing that my temps seem to idle at 65-70c with the fan on auto control using vista drivers 101.41 and after playing Rainbow 6 Vegas for about 15-20min i exited game and immediately checked the temps in the Nvidia control panel and it was at 80c. I was using the latest 158.18 until I realized the fan control doesn't work with that driver set and the i figured my temps were high because of it so went to 101.41.

When I first installed this card about a month and half ago I'm pretty sure the idle temps were in the mid to upper 50's, but I had Windows XP installed during that time. Does Windows Vista cause the card to run that much hotter because of Aero alone? I wouldn't think Aero would be working a card of this caliber that much.

My system temps according to uGuru right now is at 34c and the CPU at 43c stock cooling.

Does this seem odd?

Abit AB9-PRO
Intel E6600
2GB OCZ Platinum
BFG 8800GTS OC 640MB
2 WD 320HD

zarlaan
04-22-07, 02:31 AM
Been searching around a bit and seems those temps are fairly normal for this card apparently. Tried using the search in these forums but never found the posts, however google found the posts in these forums... go figure :rolleyes:

Redeemed
04-22-07, 03:49 AM
Yeah, the 8800s run pretty hot. Infact, they generate enough heat that with both of them in my rig my Opty185 idles at aobut 45*C with this cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106061

And some AS5 as well. Soo... I'm gonna' get me the CoolIT FreeZone cpu cooler to help keep the temps low.

People don't realise just how hot these cards really do run. It is pretty insane.

ATOJAR
04-22-07, 04:42 AM
My GTS(see overclocks in sig)idles at 49c and under load around 65c, i have the stock fan speed on 85% and i also applied AS5 a when i first got the card!

My CPU(see overclocks in sig)idles at 36c and under load(using thermal analysis tool at 100% workload on both cores)goes to 59c max that has the zalman led aero and also AS5 applied!..... the above temps are all at average room temps, when the central heating is on or in the summer everything tends to get alittle warmer, the GTS idles at 52c and the CPU idles at round 40c! ..... overall considering my overclocks im very happy with my system temps.

SlieTheSecond
04-22-07, 10:22 AM
Mine is idling right now at 51c. I also keep my fan at 85%.

Xion X2
04-22-07, 10:26 AM
Soo... I'm gonna' get me the CoolIT FreeZone cpu cooler to help keep the temps low.

You're making a big mistake. Not only will that thing be a complete waste for quad cores, but they are either defective or completely broken about half the time. Here's yet another user reporting a broken one. Two of them. He sent the original defective one back and the one they shipped as a replacement was broken.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84596&page=2

I don't mean to keep harping on it, but it's been a looooooong time since I've seen a hardware component with such a poor reliability record. That cute airhead that was in the installation video that many of you were drooling over probably built the thing.

zarlaan
04-22-07, 04:07 PM
Are you guys with the 8800gts OC that are idle around 50-55c are you running Windows XP or Vista and what forceware version? I'm almost certain that when I was running XP when i first go the card my temps were in that same range. Only since i've gone to Vista to test it out did I notice my temps 10c higher.

I'll be going back to XP later today since I have to replace one of my hard drives so i'll post back if the temps are any better with XP.

ATOJAR
04-22-07, 04:30 PM
Im using ForceWare v158.19 XP drivers, i too noticed warmer temps in vista than in XP, not 10c though.... id say around 5c warmer..... both my gfx card and cpu seem to run warmer in vista!.... i mostly use XP though, just using vista for testing at the moment!

Redeemed
04-22-07, 04:34 PM
You're making a big mistake. Not only will that thing be a complete waste for quad cores, but they are either defective or completely broken about half the time. Here's yet another user reporting a broken one. Two of them. He sent the original defective one back and the one they shipped as a replacement was broken.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84596&page=2

I don't mean to keep harping on it, but it's been a looooooong time since I've seen a hardware component with such a poor reliability record. That cute airhead that was in the installation video that many of you were drooling over probably built the thing.

I'm aware that purchasing the FreeZone will be a gamble. But here is the problem- I have too many hot components crammed in this case. To get another case (I'd get the Silverstone SST-TJ07 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163067 ) would cost almost as much as that tower.

The problem is right now I literally don't have the room for that large a tower. The one I have fits perfectly where I want it.

And, I'm not going quad core, atleast not anytime soon. I'll be using the FreeZone to cool this Opty185 of mine. The only way I could stay with air cooling is to get a significantly larger tower- and I don't have the room for one right now. So the FreeZone is the best bet for me. I'm just gonna' have to pray that the one I get will work flawlessly. ;)

And whenever I do go quad-core, I'll then do a custom water cooling setup. I wouldn't use the FreeZone on a quad core CPU- I am well aware of how it cannot cool the quad core CPUs. But it should cool this Opteron without a problem. Heck, it might even allow for a bit better oc (maybe 3.2 even :D).

Xion X2
04-22-07, 05:06 PM
Going w/ a custom water solution would future-proof your system for when you decide to go quad instead of wasting money on the Freezone, y'know? Sure you wouldn't rather do that? What about that kit that Lord and I linked you to before over on JabTech? It's cheaper than the Freezone, and you could use it on a quad-core when you decide to go w/ one. Your case doesn't have to be that big for it because it only cools the CPU so there isn't a lot of tubing. The radiator would fit along the back of your current case if you didn't have room for it internally. The pump could fit in one of your drive bays.

Just sayin'. It's cheaper, more reliable, and offers you a more future-proof cooling solution than what you're going with.

Redeemed
04-22-07, 07:32 PM
Going w/ a custom water solution would future-proof your system for when you decide to go quad instead of wasting money on the Freezone, y'know? Sure you wouldn't rather do that? What about that kit that Lord and I linked you to before over on JabTech? It's cheaper than the Freezone, and you could use it on a quad-core when you decide to go w/ one. Your case doesn't have to be that big for it because it only cools the CPU so there isn't a lot of tubing. The radiator would fit along the back of your current case if you didn't have room for it internally. The pump could fit in one of your drive bays.

Just sayin'. It's cheaper, more reliable, and offers you a more future-proof cooling solution than what you're going with.

Hmm... I'll think about it. My original plan was this rig with the Opty would become my Mom's. As such I'm trying to think about what would be practical for when she gets this rig (probably another year or so before she gets it- I've got to get a rig to replace this one first :p ). Then again, if that FreeZone failed she'd have no clue as to what to do. Maybe you're right about that kit... and saving money never hurts. ;)