PDA

View Full Version : Vista BSOD Hell!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Peoples-Agent
04-22-07, 10:22 AM
Hey folks,

Have any of you experienced the Memory_Management BSOD / Stop Error in Vista?

I randomly get it now and then.

Tested the ram using memtest86 and it's fine, system use to be solid and stable as a rock in XP.

Most errors / crashes I can handle in Vista but this one is a show stopper.

Nothing in particular seems to trigger it neither.

Any ideas?

radekhulan
04-22-07, 11:22 AM
Running x64 with 4GB RAM and haven't seen any BSOD. Your problem is absolutely a hardware one.. Don't blame Vista. Stop OCing, test your RAM, etc.

AMC_Duke
04-22-07, 11:57 AM
i run vista 64 too with 64 mb ram i never had a blue screen from day 1 till today :captnkill:

Peoples-Agent
04-22-07, 11:57 AM
Running x64 with 4GB RAM and haven't seen any BSOD. Your problem is absolutely a hardware one.. Don't blame Vista. Stop OCing, test your RAM, etc.

Well that's funny, not one single BSOD in XP in 12 months.

Hardware my arse!

Not overclocking anything.

lumpyhed
04-22-07, 01:48 PM
Any recent Startup additions?

Peoples-Agent
04-22-07, 01:52 PM
No :(

Nothing in the start up that would make any difference, was doing this from a clean install.

Something related to explorer though, happens mainly when browsing files.

Got a hunch that Vista hates nForce4.

Dr.Nick
04-22-07, 02:11 PM
Run Orthos and memtest overnight to make sure the system is stable. Unlike XP, Vista uses all available resources so if something is pushed too far or is ready to go you will know. Make sure the system is stable with the above apps and make sure to run each one for at least eight hours

Buenamos
04-22-07, 02:16 PM
actually, yes i do get that error now and then. :(

grey_1
04-22-07, 02:21 PM
Have you updated drivers lately PA? I just went through my one and only bsod hell, due to conflicting driver files.

Some need to manually be removed, or they can be problematic. I know you said when browsing files...but it's a shot.

Peoples-Agent
04-22-07, 03:37 PM
Have you updated drivers lately PA? I just went through my one and only bsod hell, due to conflicting driver files.

Some need to manually be removed, or they can be problematic. I know you said when browsing files...but it's a shot.

ffs, Firefox just crashed then after I had typed a reply. LOL

Well, using the latest system drivers from nVidia for the motherboard, ethernet etc and same for the 7800s, just used ones off the site.

The only thing I can think of that might be problematic is the Audigy in here, but that obtained it's own drivers too.... ones that came with Vista work fine.

Also done a complete windows update, it's hard to tell what might be causing this problem tbh. Hardly anything installed on here, and it's a completely random error.

EDIT: Out of curiousity im rolling back an update I got to the nVidia PCI Express Root Port, or whatever it is.

See if that makes any difference.

grey_1
04-22-07, 03:58 PM
Funny, that PCI Express root port would never install for me. Hope it's that easy for ya.

Q
04-22-07, 04:00 PM

Firefox crashes for me fairly regularly for me at this site, as well. It did it under XP, also, but it seems more frequent under Vista for whatever reason.

Buenamos
04-22-07, 04:37 PM

Well, using the latest system drivers from nVidia for the motherboard, ethernet etc and same for the 7800s, just used ones off the site.

The only thing I can think of that might be problematic is the Audigy in here, but that obtained it's own drivers too.... ones that came with Vista work fine.

Also done a complete windows update, it's hard to tell what might be causing this problem tbh. Hardly anything installed on here, and it's a completely random error.

EDIT: Out of curiousity im rolling back an update I got to the nVidia PCI Express Root Port, or whatever it is.

I got BSODs as soon as I installed the nforce mobo drivers from nvidia's site so I did a system restore since I wasn't even able to load into vista normally. (had to boot into safe mode to do it) But, i do get one every now and then, I figured it was just nvidia's crappy drivers....

Btw, what drivers are u guys all using?
I'm mainly just installed the video and sound card drivers because everything else seems to be running great.

Zelda_fan
04-22-07, 04:48 PM

yeah I have to agree. I've been running Vista x64 with my Core 2 Overclocked at 3.0GHZ, and zero BSODs. Vista is rock solid.

Zelda_fan
04-22-07, 04:49 PM

That could be it. nVidia chipsets don't have a good reputation for stability. What motherboard are you using?

Stoneyguy
04-22-07, 06:03 PM
I installed a "gidgit" or whatever the hell Microsoft calls them, and then experienced a memory leak from it that would slow my system down. Perhaps there is a similar problem that your facing.

grey_1
04-22-07, 06:23 PM
That could be it. nVidia chipsets don't have a good reputation for stability. What motherboard are you using?
Speaking of chipsets, I think Vista has built in drivers for nf4, I don't know the version though.

maybe try running without them?

Peoples-Agent
04-22-07, 07:05 PM
Speaking of chipsets, I think Vista has built in drivers for nf4, I don't know the version though.

maybe try running without them?

Just looked into that, seems the nforce installer doesn't really do much except install much needed ethernet drivers. lol

Not had the crash since I got rid of that PCI Express Root Port update, fingers crossed.... that was the cause.

Now, trying to convert a h264 .mkv file into Xvid using VirtualDubMod , this is interesting.... crashing like feck doing tasks that use to be mundane lol

j0j081
04-22-07, 07:13 PM
I have found that xfire causes random bsods for me on Vista x64. I am sure it is xfire because I've tested for hours narrowing it down.

grey_1
04-22-07, 07:21 PM
Just looked into that, seems the nforce installer doesn't really do much except install much needed ethernet drivers. lol

Not had the crash since I got rid of that PCI Express Root Port update, fingers crossed.... that was the cause.

Now, trying to convert a h264 .mkv file into Xvid using VirtualDubMod , this is interesting.... crashing like feck doing tasks that use to be mundane lol
Have you googled the stop_error your getting PA? Or can you post whatever messages your getting? I'm sure someone here would be able to decipher it for you.

Really curious because vista 32bit was rock solid for me with an nf4 and 2 7800s, now 64bit is the same with the 8800gts unless I break it screwing with drivers.

really a beatiful OS so far.

PSYCHODAD
04-23-07, 01:35 AM
I have found that xfire causes random bsods for me on Vista x64. I am sure it is xfire because I've tested for hours narrowing it down.
No bsod for me with xfire, however some games will not shutdown properly if xfire is running. Otherwise no problems here, except for Dark Messiah game crashing.

BTW, running 64bit Vista+4GB ram and nforce drivers from Nvidia. 158.18 vid drivers.

Zelda_fan
04-24-07, 12:04 PM

Hmmm, interesting. Download ORTHOS and see if it crashes running that:

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

If ORTHOS crashes then it means: something is overheating or your memory is bad.

Peoples-Agent
04-24-07, 05:35 PM
Think it's resolved.... not happened once since I rolled back the nVidia PCI Express Root Port drivers from Windows Update, not a single BSOD since.

Sure, I get the odd "Firefox has stopped responding" , but that's to be expected.... no more BSODs though.

Have managed to convert video, burn disks, multitask lots at once and it's all been stable.

If anyone else is getting the blasted memory_management bsod, check device manager to see if you have those stupid nvidia pci express port roots listed, usually there are about five listings for them under system devices. Roll them all back, they will then say PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge.

grey_1
04-24-07, 06:07 PM
Glad it's sorted for you PA. Funny, that never would install for me and I used to gripe about it. :p

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 05:16 PM
I spoke too soon, it's still doing it ffs.

Ran Orthos like Zelda suggested for awhile, and not a single error. Hmmm

There were reports of this problem in RC1 or build 5xxx something but that's about asmuch info as i've found.

May have to run it by MS , and as always not get a response or answer. lol

Completely random and no particular program causes it, but it's usually on the desktop as such.

The only common factor is it happens to people using nForce chipsets, which doesn't instill me with any confidence.

Probably just go back to XP for the next six months.