View Full Version : Q6600 or E6600?

04-22-07, 04:00 PM
Ok so here's the situation guys. I'm upgrading my PC. I'm just waiting for the Intel price drops to happen (today or tomorrow?) and then I'll be ordering all the guts. But I'm still indecisive about the CPU. Should I grab a Q6600? Or just a E6600 for now and upgrade to a penryn later on this year?

Here's the specs of the rig I'm building:

Q6600 or E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
4x 1GB Mushkin PC2-8500
eVGA 8800GTX Superclocked Edition

This will all be going in a Lian-Li G70B and the CPU and 8800GTX will be watercooled with:

Swiftech Apogee GTX CPU waterblock
EK-FC8800GTX Full Cover waterblock
Thermochill PA120.3 Rad
Laing DDC-2 pump w/ petra'stech custom top
Swiftech MicroRES

So what are your thoughts? Money isn't an issue right now...I have enough to get the Q6600...But I can't decide whether I should wait for the newer chips...I don't like playing the waiting game...There will always be something better.

Once I get all my parts I'll be sure to take loads of pictures of the build. The watercooling stuff and case have already been ordered (had to get them from the US...) and they should be here by the end of this week. And then the fun begins!

Thanks guys! All input appreciated!

Xion X2
04-22-07, 05:12 PM
Yeah, go with the Quad. You have good enough cooling and a good motherboard that can push a high enough FSB on it to get some speed out of the chip. No reason not to unless money's an issue, which you said it wasn't.

04-22-07, 05:33 PM
IMO, if you have to get a computer now, and you already have a dual core computer, then get the quad.

04-22-07, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys! The price drops where just put through at NCIX.com....so I ordered all the parts :D One Q6600 for this guy!! And they have it on sale on top of the price cut for $640 Canadian :bugeyes: Last week is was listed as $1120. I'm soooo excited!!!

04-22-07, 10:37 PM
Yea, go with the Q6600