PDA

View Full Version : Can I used TV out without making my monitor VGA?

plumeria
04-23-07, 01:39 PM
I have been bashing my brains out for the last several hours trying to get something which I thought would be relatively simple resolved. I see many postings along the same lines but none seemed to have an answer that works ;-(

I have a GeForce graphics card with both VGA and s-video out, and am using the latest nVidia drivers for this card. I have attached my TV via s-video and my monitor is running at 1280x1024. My TV output can only be set to 640x480 in this mode which I am using. My setup is to use "clone".

All I want to do is by able see what is in my computer screen on my TV - really simple, no? I want to view some images and videos on my TV which are stored on my computer... quite a common real world scenario. On my IBM laptop this is no problem, being able to see on both.

If I leave my monitor at 1280x1024 my TV shows a small portion of the whole screen - it fills my TV screen but is only showing about 1/4 of the whole 1280x1024 screen. On the Full Screen Video tab I set the secondary device (my tv) to full screen display but to no effect.

The only way I can get this to work is to drop my monitor resolution to 640x480 which is super lame.

Am I missing something obvious here or is this an inherent limitation? There are so many fancy menu options I was hoping that there is something that can help. I have read many other postings from others which identical problems and haven't seen a fix however ;-(

thanks

Peter
p.s. What's the point having a TV output if it forces you to drop your computer monitor to VGA resolution... ;-(

duralisis
04-23-07, 01:51 PM
I have been bashing my brains out for the last several hours trying to get something which I thought would be relatively simple resolved. I see many postings along the same lines but none seemed to have an answer that works ;-(

I have a GeForce graphics card with both VGA and s-video out, and am using the latest nVidia drivers for this card. I have attached my TV via s-video and my monitor is running at 1280x1024. My TV output can only be set to 640x480 in this mode which I am using. My setup is to use "clone".

All I want to do is by able see what is in my computer screen on my TV - really simple, no? I want to view some images and videos on my TV which are stored on my computer... quite a common real world scenario. On my IBM laptop this is no problem, being able to see on both.

If I leave my monitor at 1280x1024 my TV shows a small portion of the whole screen - it fills my TV screen but is only showing about 1/4 of the whole 1280x1024 screen. On the Full Screen Video tab I set the secondary device (my tv) to full screen display but to no effect.

The only way I can get this to work is to drop my monitor resolution to 640x480 which is super lame.

Am I missing something obvious here or is this an inherent limitation? There are so many fancy menu options I was hoping that there is something that can help. I have read many other postings from others which identical problems and haven't seen a fix however ;-(

thanks

Peter
p.s. What's the point having a TV output if it forces you to drop your computer monitor to VGA resolution... ;-(

The maximum resolution your TV-out supports is dependent on your encoder chip embedded on the card. This changes from series to series, but historically NVIDIA reference boards use a Conexant or Philips encoder, sometimes the older Brooktree 87x (like on GF3's and earlier).

With the newer chips you can do XGA resolution (1024x768) and have flicker reduction, s-video out, overscan compensation, zoom, noise filters, etc. But on the older chips (especially a BT-868), you will be limited to maybe 800x600, no zoom or overscan control, and a blurry picture.

If you only use CloneView, then your TV will be directly limited to the monitor's resolution. However DualView allows independent resolutions, but you'll have to drag a window onto the other screen in order to see it on the TV, it's an extended desktop.

I know some ATI laptop chips have a "virtual desktop" for Tv-out where you can only see a certain cropped view of the total desktop and have to move the viewing area by scrolling to the edge of the screen or such.

WeReWoLf
04-23-07, 06:50 PM
The other thing is, depending on whether or not he's using Vista, because the current Vista TV-Out drivers give you a cropped image of your desktop displayed on your TV, No matter what size the desktop image is.

plumeria
04-23-07, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys for the replies - much appreciated you spending some time to help me out. BTW - I am on XP SP2.

I am quite happy with my TV out resolution of 640x480 - I am using s-video so that is fine.

What I can't get to work properly is that when my TV display (secondary display) is set to this resolution and the primary display (my LCD monitor) is set to 1280x1024, I only see a cropped image on my TV. In fact it is 1/4 of what I see on my primary display. It is like one big zoomed in 1/4 of my LCD monitor.

Does that make any sense? I want to take a 1280x1024 display and shrink it down to 640x480 for simultaneously displaying videos/pictures on my TV without cropping.. is this not possible?

What works is dropping my primary display also down to 640x480 but I'd like to avoid this as my primamry display becomes very hard to use.

regards

Peter

WimpMiester
04-23-07, 09:24 PM
With standard s-video your max resolution on a TV is usually 1024x768 in Clone mode. With my old GF TI-4200 I was able the get 1280x768 in Dual view by setting custom timings. This was great for movies but each display is unique which isn't what you want. With Clone mode if the primary display is larger than the secondary then the secondary display device will always use pan mode and show only as mush as will fit on screen and scroll the rest. The secondary display can never be larger than the primary display, only equal or less. I don't use the new control panel because I hate it, but in the old control panel you can change the resolution on the second display by opening the NV Display panel, select "nView Display Settings", then right-click on second display device and select "Change Resolution". Unless your card is older than a TnT2 you should be able to go higher than 640x480.