PDA

View Full Version : 4GB of RAM Really Ideal?

Pages : [1] 2

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 12:36 PM
This is so fetching frustrating! I really like Vista 64-bit as it will recognize 4GB of RAM. Almost all of my games will install, but a few oldies but goodies don't stand a chance. And so now I'm thinking of installing XP back on my other Raid Partition.

:nutkick:

All I can think about is one thing. Is this extra RAM really worth it? Will Crysis and UT3 actually benefit from this extra RAM. I mean if I just end up using 32-Bit Vista someday then having 4GB of RAM is a kick in the nuts since all of the RAM will not be recognized.

What should I do guys? I mean the OS thing is easier for me to figure out since I can Dual Boot. But will this 4GB be necessary for DX10? Will all gamers be eventually moving to Vista 64-bit?:confused:

superklye
04-24-07, 12:44 PM
Sell 2GB for now, stick with Vista 32-bit until they get all the 64-bit bugs worked out (or at least some of them) and go back then.

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 12:48 PM
Sell 2GB for now, stick with Vista 32-bit until they get all the 64-bit bugs worked out (or at least some of them) and go back then.

That's kinda they way I'm leaning plus I just think to myself of all of the games I could buy selling that RAM.

:wonder:

jAkUp
04-24-07, 12:54 PM
For Vista I think 4GB is worth it, for XP, not so much. What about XP x64?

|MaguS|
04-24-07, 12:59 PM
That's kinda they way I'm leaning plus I just think to myself of all of the games I could buy selling that RAM.

:wonder:

I might buy a pair if you decide on that... :o

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 01:02 PM
For Vista I think 4GB is worth it, for XP, not so much. What about XP x64?

I suppose I could get XP 64-bit but I have not purchased that version. I suppose in some ways it really just depends if Vista 32-Bit or Vista 64-bit will be the gamers platform.

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 01:07 PM
It's good to have 4GB for Vista.
Currently, I have Vista x64 and XP x64 installed. Why isn't this an option for you? Works flawless here.

I can't wait to get my second kit back...

So between Vista 64-bit and XP 64-bit you have not run into one game install problem?

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 01:23 PM
You mean install it in Vista and run it from XP?

So far that's what I did. I installed every game in Vista to see how it goes, performance wise. As soon as SLI was needed I booted into XP and created a new shortcut and launched the game.

That's a good way to do it. I'm sure that eventually 4GB would be great. And it is a good investment in the future. I just kinda wish I knew for sure when the extra RAM will start being utilized. The way it feels right now is just like the RAM is only creating extra heat in my case with minimal improvement in performance.

Life would be so much easier sometimes if there was really a date specified for when invetsments would bare their worth.:p:lol:

Kind of like my calculus claas in college.:D

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 01:24 PM
I might buy a pair if you decide on that... :o

I will have to keep that in mind.:D

mullet
04-24-07, 01:48 PM

Agrees.

SwedX
04-24-07, 01:48 PM
Keep em of course, later on with Vista im sure you gonna need em all :)
I will go 4 GB as soon I get some cash!

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 01:53 PM
Agrees.

The thing is right now I know that NewEgg would give me $409 back if I returned 2GB these sticks right now. And as many of you know I'm not the type of guy to hold on to hardware for long when the new stuff comes out.:o I mean by the time 4GB is truly necessary wouldn't there be RAM that would just blow away what I've got right now. I mean like faster DDR2 possibly DDR3. If I was actually seeing the difference in performance I would never have made this thread. Hmmmmm.....

$409 back in my pocket is extremely tempting if I am seeing no performance gain right now.

superklye
04-24-07, 01:54 PM
Then do it, dude. $409-cash can do a lot more for you than $409-worth of wasted hardware.

ViN86
04-24-07, 01:56 PM
stick with 4, itll be worth it in the long run. ;)

Stoneyguy
04-24-07, 01:56 PM
So between Vista 64-bit and XP 64-bit you have not run into one game install problem?

I havn't run into any game install problems. In fact Quake 4 promised that the game would put me thru a living hell if I ran it on my Vista x64, but even it ran like a champ.

methimpikehoses
04-24-07, 01:58 PM
Or if you want more cash in hand, just return all of it and get some cheaper RAM... Decent RAM can be had for much less than $400+!

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 02:03 PM
Or if you want more cash in hand, just return all of it and get some cheaper RAM... Decent RAM can be had for much less than $400+!

:rofl :headexplode:

All of these possibilities!

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 02:12 PM
stick with 4, itll be worth it in the long run. ;)

I'm sure in the long run. But what about 6-9 months from now?:D

If I still don't need 4GB then...passing up $409 now is going to be hard to swallow.

Obviously the 4GB isn't going to hurt anything by remaining in the case I just want to know that it will actually help me soon.

J-Mag
04-24-07, 02:20 PM
Keep em of course, later on with Vista im sure you gonna need em all :)

Why would anyone ever buy a computer component for future use? Their value depreciates so rapidly, it would be more wise to buy when you need something.

Many high end components can drop their value by about 10% a month.

I haven't used Vista for gaming, but even with it do you see games use over 2gb of memory?

ynnek
04-24-07, 02:21 PM
If you can get exactly the same amount of money back, and currently question the worth of the extra 2 gigs, then return it. RAM generally gets cheaper over time.. YOu can rebuy it back at a lower price most likely when you need it..

Or,by that time you may have moved to DDR3.

Who knows.

PS: I generally build/buy a computer in mind that I'll be using it for 3 years. Long story short, I view it like this.

Spend most of your money up front(a few minor upgrades, like more ram or a bigger hd) and have relative performance over time as
High----Med-----Low

Vs spend half of your money in one year, and half of it another year.. and have relative performance over time as
Med--Low--Med--Low

Not to mention the headache (or some view as fun and joy) of having to rebuild/reinstall/fiddle with your setup.

TiKiMaN1
04-24-07, 02:22 PM
Why would anyone ever buy a computer component for future use? Their value depreciates so rapidly, it would be more wise to buy when you need something.

You see and this is what I'm thinking. The cash I could get now sounds awesome. And the future RAM sticks will only be better someday.:D

Xion X2
04-24-07, 02:25 PM

QFT. You can get 2GB DDR2 800 G.Skill w/ default 4-3-4-5 timings that will overclock to what he has his at and they were 170$/pair the last time I saw them on newegg.

I'll never spend 400$ on RAM again. It's a waste.

kevJ420
04-24-07, 02:26 PM
QFT. You can get 2GB DDR2 800 G.Skill w/ default 4-3-4-5 timings that will overclock to what he has his at and they were 170$/pair the last time I saw them on newegg.

I'll never spend 400$ on RAM again. It's a waste.

Mileage may vary.

J-Mag
04-24-07, 02:28 PM
You see and this is what I'm thinking. The cash I could get now sounds awesome. And the future RAM sticks will only be better someday.:D

I say if you don't notice any performance increases with 4gb with what you normally do, sell half of it. When you encounter the day where your normal activities are sucking up more than 2gb, just buy it then. As the transistor size is reduced we will see significantly more dense modules, so they will be cheaper.

Although I wouldn't say the same for DDR1, it hasn't been dropping in price because manufacturers have shifted production to DDR2. Supply is limited.

XDanger
04-24-07, 03:43 PM
And there was I thinking that money wasnt an object for a Tiki rig.

Crysis will use every available resource, it will thank you for keeping hold of 4gb.

What I just said had better be true otherwise some germans are getting a kick in the nuts.

Overclocking ram for its own sake is pretty fruitless, Maybe sell your flash name brand and get 3gb of the cheapest good timings stuff if you need the money.

Some people on ebay pay retail prices for second hand !!!???

If anything ,just offload one stick.