PDA

View Full Version : Why do i have to "allow" file copying to second drive with vista.

nippyjun
04-24-07, 09:08 PM
I have 2 drives. My main drive has 3 partitions, the first is the OS and programs, the second 2 are data. My second drive is one partition. Whenever i copy files from any of the partitions on the main drive to the second drive UAC pops up to have me give permission. Is there a way around this? When i added the second drive was i supposed to change a setting to prevent these popups?

The folders on the second drive were setup under xp by the way.

It says" You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder".

radekhulan
04-25-07, 04:02 AM
You are probably not "owner" of the drive, in OS sense. Right click on the drive in My Computer, and take its ownership to your account.. Should work without invoking UAC then.

nippyjun
04-25-07, 01:23 PM
You are probably not "owner" of the drive, in OS sense. Right click on the drive in My Computer, and take its ownership to your account.. Should work without invoking UAC then.

When i get to the ownership section it's current owner is a bunch of letters and numbers. I assume these are from XP. I can change ownership but there are 2 choices. One is My name, the other is admin my name. Which one should it be changed to? or does it not matter?

einstein_314
04-25-07, 04:55 PM
I agree with Radekhulan. It's definatly a permissions issue. Take ownership using whichever one you use as your account, probably just your name.

radekhulan
04-25-07, 05:58 PM
Change ownership to your current login name, you are using in Vista, not to Administrator..

nippyjun
04-25-07, 09:16 PM
Change ownership to your current login name, you are using in Vista, not to Administrator..

I already went ahead and changed it to "Administrators (MyName\Administrators)" and it seems to work now without asking for permission when transfering files to the drive.

Did i choose correctly by using this "administrators" as the owner?