PDA

View Full Version : Task Manager Question

bagman
04-25-07, 05:23 AM
Firstly apologies if this is being posted in the incorrect forum.

I recently installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer on my FX-60 rig.
To see if it was making any difference I loaded some games and then "Ctrl-Alt-Deleted" to Task Manager whilst the game was running, to take a look at the "Performance" tab.
I noted that there were 2 graphs to represent the 2 cores.
On some games, both graphs were running at the bottom of of each graph whilst CPU usage was at 0 to 3pct. Other older games had the left graph running at almost the top of the graph whilst the right hand side one was running at the bottom. CPU usage was 50pct.

I don't understand what is going on here. I would have thought that both graphs should be showing CPU usage if both cores are being utilised.
Am I mistaken in my belief ?
Is the Dual Core Optimizer not working or have I completely mis-understood it's use ?
I went into my BIOS and noted that "Cool and Quiet" is enabled even though I have not installed the appropriate software from the AMD install disc.
Perhaps that is the issue ???
Should "Cool and Quiet" be disabled ?

Should I be doing something different to see if both cores are being used ??

Appreciate all advice given

cheers

JaxMacFL
04-25-07, 12:22 PM
Some games take a little advantage of dual cpus', but most are not coded for that yet. To get a better picture of dual core in action run two different apps', such as your virus scan and ad-aware. You should see both graphs going like crazy.

If you have c & q enabled in the bios then go ahead and update all availiable software. If you ever plan to oc be sure to disable it.

bagman
04-25-07, 05:56 PM
If you have c & q enabled in the bios then go ahead and update all availiable software. If you ever plan to oc be sure to disable it.

Many thnaks for replying.
Would I notice any adverse effects if I disabled C&Q in the BIOS, even with the AMD Dual Core Optimizer installed ??

cheers

JaxMacFL
04-25-07, 06:14 PM
Many thnaks for replying.
Would I notice any adverse effects if I disabled C&Q in the BIOS, even with the AMD Dual Core Optimizer installed ??

cheers

None whatsoever, apples and oranges. Unless you have a high heat problem or a borderline psu, you don't really need it. I've had two amd mbs' and have never had it enabled. I believe the mbs came with it disabled by default.

gl

bagman
04-25-07, 09:01 PM
Perhaps when I installed the AMD Drivers when I first put my rig together, C&Q was enabled in the BIOS by default ??
For it to work properly I seem to recall some software on the AMD CD that refers to C&Q.
In any event, I have "Always On" in Power Management, so I guess I can disabled in BIOS and monitor temps.

By the way I'm running a Antec 550w PSU

cheers