PDA

View Full Version : I have fixed the laptop stutter vista!!!!!

Seriamike
04-25-07, 01:07 PM
Well i fixed mine in world of warcraft....it is so simple and makes so much sense its crazy.

goto the shortcut or the wow.exe and right click it. goto properties, goto general tab, goto advanced at bottom, uncheck index this file for faster searching.

DONE! FIXED!

i came to look for this after turning off the vista search feature by the recommendation of blizzards tech forums. then noticed that the indexing was still checked and gave it a shot!!!!

hope it works for you guys

DarkOneX
04-25-07, 03:04 PM
It's a coincidence that worked for you because first of all, if you do it just for the shortcut, it does NOT change it for the actual EXE file too, so you'd have to do this only to the EXE, doing the shortcut wouldn't matter. Also, file indexing isn't something that's really done like more than once generally. It's done once, then never again for that file, it's not like when you fire up the game, Windows is sitting there indexing the file over and over or anything like that. Coincidence, pure and simple, but congrats on getting it magically fixed!

Seriamike
04-25-07, 04:22 PM
well, you are correct. it worked for over an hr....never worked more than a few min before.

anyway logged back in a little later, same junk again.

i dont understand what is wrong with it. to go from 130 fps to slow motion every couple of seconds. is odd. especially while standing still.

someone , nvidia, toshiba, dell, microsoft...someone.

DarkOneX
04-25-07, 07:18 PM
I had the same issues with Fear Combat, where it would play fine sometimes but other times would run like pure arse. Once the 101.70 drivers and above came out, it's been fixed. However, Stalker, about one out of 10 times I fire it up, it runs amazing, like liquid smooth and stuff, the rest of the time, it's 5fps. Still can't figure that one out.

memeticverb
04-27-07, 03:02 AM
I am also having this problem where the game runs smooth for a few seconds, and then stutters for a few seconds. Everything from reinstalling everything, and formatting has not fixed it. This only happened after th most recent patch whereas prior it had never had this problem. Anyone ever find a solution?

Seriamike
04-29-07, 11:02 AM
i posted this in wow forums so its just a copy paste as that was the game i play....but this will fix the stutter in vista gaming for laptops and because of what the issue is it may fix many others problems.

here goes

ok, here is the real deal fix.....you guys might not believe this and it may fi alot of other issues too.

set up a game profile in nvidia driver and set your prefered settings for anti aliasing and af etc...set app control for most so you can use in game to change em.

then point the profile to the wow.exe so that the settigs are used when wow is run.

This will fix the stutter. basically my laptop a toshiba p105-6227
core 2 duo 1.6 2 gigs ram and a 7600gs now runs excellently because of a few things that this method fixed.

when i went into the profile for wow i saw that it said use application setting 4x aa and some other wierd settings even though those were not what my app was set to....the settings that it looked as if were default were enough to stutter a much stronger system at the high res i have to run to run natural resolution.

but thats not all, now that i run using this profile my fan no longer kicks on and off ....once the game is initiated my gpu fan runs constantly at high speed!!!!

so it is definatly a driver issue and im wondering if the settings for 3d are not actually showing you what they really are or are not saving properly so that when you use a profile you are using the correct 3d settigns that you want.

anyway i hope this helps many others, spread the word.

theultimo
04-30-07, 10:16 AM
Tried the profile thing, no take.

On the infamous Toshiba p105-9337 (2GHX C2D, 7900GS 256, 2GB Ram), there was no change.

I've been playing with this for a few days, trying XP drivers (Work fine, but no-multi monitor support), different services, etc.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2964633
This is my first run, with stuttering every 3-4 secs going to 3-4fps all the time. A total score of 5390 in 3dmark05, but it is entirely unplayable.

I was just about to say screw this Vista/nvidia crap when I tried something that helped about 75% of the time so far:

Readyboost.

It seems the driver either runs over the cache or Vista is mis-reporting memory free with the Forceware and runs into system memory (AGP texturing). I had a spare 1GB SD Ultra II Sandisk card available, and thought, might as well try it.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2976340
This is what I came with in 3dmark05: 5751 3dMarks. It only stuttered 25% of the time, heck, it might even be better with 2 or even 3-4 GB. Playable if you don't mind a stutter now and then.

3Dmark06 comparisons:
before:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1799609 - 2971 with a ton of hitching
after:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1824729 - 3060, but a lot less hitching, mostly only 30 secs into the benchmark process.

It seems to be a stopgap solution, but it worked for me, and seemed to fix most of the Stuttering issues, and the stutters that are still there, instead of going from 3-4fps, it hit like 15-16fps.

I am going to see if I can get a 2 or 4 GB SD card to test this theory out more.

Seriamike
05-02-07, 04:56 PM
sorry guy forgot to report back to this thread. it ended up showing its ugly head agian...i have no idea why i could play for hrs and then when i log back in later wammo its back!

i guess this rdy boost thing is interesting let me know ill buy a ig mem usb thingy to fix it for now :)

theultimo
05-11-07, 07:19 PM
sorry guy forgot to report back to this thread. it ended up showing its ugly head agian...i have no idea why i could play for hrs and then when i log back in later wammo its back!

i guess this rdy boost thing is interesting let me know ill buy a ig mem usb thingy to fix it for now :)
Well, from what I've tried, 1GB readyboost solves around 25-50% of the stuttering. 2 or 4GB is no help with 2GB of ram and beyond. I am thinking its gotta be either:

1. A memory Leak
2. Vista and System Memory problems
3. Caching problem with nVidia driver.

I did try using a separate partition too, for a pagefile, it seems to work a bit better.

So far, stuff is playable, but is still stuttery now and then with 1GB and a separate pagefile, mostly cut in 1/2.

Toshiba is known to be working on this issue, hopefully they will fix something soon.

As a stopgap solution, getting a 1gb SD/usb stick ~$40-$50 and setting up a pagefile helps a bit, and dropping this laptop back to xp was a test in thermal meltdown (GPU got to around....say....118C IDLE). YMMV however, as some laptops, such as the Dell ones based with the 7900GS don't have any problem.