PDA

View Full Version : windows xp install failure with brand new 7800 gs

slaterson
04-25-07, 09:05 PM
i just got back from the store with a brand new geforce 7800gs, agp 8x card. i took out my old card which has gone kaput on me and put the 7800 in. i then booted up and windows xp booted up just fine. i want to wipe this computer clean and re-install xp, so i popped the cd in and rebooted. when the computer boots from the cd the normal 'Please wait while setup inspects your hardware...' message flashes for a second or two and then the screen goes entirely black and never returns. i have to power off or reset to get it back.

keep in mind the existing xp installed on the hard drive boots up just fine, but when i try to re-install, it fails at the 'inspecting hardware' message, which is the first message the installation shows after booting from the cd. i have let the computer sit for a couple minutes with the blank screen to no avail.

any suggestions? i'm really hoping to have a nice clean system, this thing needs a little housekeeping quite badly.

thanks,
slate

j0j081
04-25-07, 09:25 PM
might have nothing to do with the new card. what happens if you try installing with the old one in?

slaterson
04-25-07, 10:02 PM
might have nothing to do with the new card. what happens if you try installing with the old one in?

correct, it _may_ not have anything to do with the card at all, but my guess is that is does. in that past, installing with the old card has worked just fine. however, the computer won't even boot with the old card anymore and has exhibited severe problems in both windows and linux (in linux, both at the command prompt and in x). is there a way to install xp in a safe mode? or learn exactly where the install is crashing?

also, i believe its the new card thats causing the problem due to the screen blanking. just a guess, i didn't write the installer and have no clue what it's actually doing.

thanks,
slate

slaterson
04-26-07, 10:11 PM
anyone... anyone.. bueller.....

daforce
04-26-07, 11:20 PM
Had a bit of a google, and it may well be something like the cd/dvd your trying to install with. Or something strange problems. Google it, there are a few options out there.

slaterson
05-02-07, 05:33 PM
still no luck with this. i have disabled everything in the bios that i can, even. the _only_ thing that has changed in this system is the video card, i have installed windows xp using the dvd drive that is in the machine in the past without issue. of course that was with a different video card. oh, and the cd i am installing from is the same one i have always used.

this is very odd. perhaps the video card doesn't like the motherboard or something else similar. either way, sucks.

anyone else have similar problems?

thanks,
slate

john19055
05-04-07, 03:24 PM
What motherboard do you have.and the rest of your spec's.

Labyrinth
05-04-07, 03:58 PM
What are your specs? How are we supposed to troubleshoot your problem if we don't know what you have?

Tiki was right, that is bothersome.

jimmor
05-06-07, 07:06 AM
i just got back from the store with a brand new geforce 7800gs, agp 8x card. i took out my old card which has gone kaput on me and put the 7800 in. i then booted up and windows xp booted up just fine. i want to wipe this computer clean and re-install xp, so i popped the cd in and rebooted. when the computer boots from the cd the normal 'Please wait while setup inspects your hardware...' message flashes for a second or two and then the screen goes entirely black and never returns. i have to power off or reset to get it back.

keep in mind the existing xp installed on the hard drive boots up just fine, but when i try to re-install, it fails at the 'inspecting hardware' message, which is the first message the installation shows after booting from the cd. i have let the computer sit for a couple minutes with the blank screen to no avail.

any suggestions? i'm really hoping to have a nice clean system, this thing needs a little housekeeping quite badly.

thanks,
slate
The fact that during the booting process you can see 'Please wait while setup inspects your hardware...', means it's a windows problem ---> probably drivers??

Before fitting the 7800gs, did you uninstall, and use driver cleaner to remove all traces of, previous card's drivers? And if not, can you boot into safe mode, with any vga card, then do so before starting to reinstall windows?