PDA

View Full Version : 158.18 runs my 8800GTX SLi really HOT!

neospazzy
04-25-07, 09:41 PM
For some reason, my 8800GTX's are running really hot (81C in nTune Monitor) with these drivers and the fans are blasting at full speed. It is making my ears bleed. I don't have any games running nor have Dreamscene on nor do I have anything on that requires 3D! What is going on? This never happened in 100.65. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

sclaws
04-25-07, 09:58 PM
Mine are at 78/74 right now. When I had fan control that would drop about 10C each card. Its pretty warm but I don't think its an unsafe temp for these cards.

grey_1
04-25-07, 10:31 PM
Alot of folks are reporting higher temps with these drivers.

Tho Jo Smale
04-26-07, 08:13 PM
Actually, I'd have to say that 158.18 are reporting 10'C higher on my GTX than the 101.41's that I was using previously. Is this a driver issue?

JC

wollyka
04-26-07, 08:22 PM
yeah same here, temps increased 10C at idle!!

scott123
04-26-07, 11:18 PM
No fan control / cancels download / thank you

Nvidia....your drivers suck :rolleyes:

Elaskoard
04-28-07, 06:30 AM
not good.. i usually have 85C idle and 95C load.. with other drivers.. and on XP.. dont wanna try starting up a game with vista atm then...

sticking to XP, til some new drivers arrives :P

PSYCHODAD
04-28-07, 12:46 PM
My temps also rose with the 158.18 drivers. I took my 8800 apart and cleaned it plus added Artic Silver in hopes of lowering temps. This didn't seem to help and in fact the temps rose a cel or two. Something odd I found with my system though is that after opening a media file in Windows media center my temps fell about 7 cel and stayed there(idle temps).:rolleyes:

mikeyakame
04-29-07, 05:52 AM
I don't know what I'm doing wrong then, because my idle temps as recorded on both sensors are, GPU 53C, GPU Diode 64C, on a 8800GTS with 158.18, I haven't touched the fan speed, it's running at the standard speed, as I hear it spin up on the odd occasion. Mind you this card is overclocked too, to 575mhz GPU, 1350mhz Shader GPU, 972mhz DDR3 (1944mhz), and it really only brought the temperatures up by a few degrees celcius.

The best I can do is possibly, list what I have set in my bios as that might help?

Slot power is set to Heavier, PEG link speed is set to normal, any bios related fan control is disabled, PCI-E bus speed is set to 33.3mhz, PCI-E frequency is set to 105mhz. On a ASUS P5WDH motherboard for reference. For the video card, the PCI-E 6 pin connector is being fed power from a Thermaltake 250W express 5.25" purepower unit, I did this as it doesn't load the main PSU up so much when the video card goes under full load, it seems to stabilize the voltages more so.

Also the only other thing I can think of is in the Power Management options in the control panel, in advanced settings I have the PCIE Link State Power Management set to Moderate Power savings, this perhaps might be the reason of the cooler idle temperatures as I believe it reduces the voltage and number of PCI-E lanes used during idle conditions, I haven't read the spec of this APCI feature, but it seems to do something along those lines.

Mind you when playing C&C3 for example with full AA and the game map covered in units, structures & details the temperature goes as high 80c or so, around the same when I do a 3DMARK 06 test, but never really goes much higher, highest I've actually is 82-83c during overclock max cpu/ram testing.

Hope this is of some help.

Michael

Tho Jo Smale
04-29-07, 02:35 PM
My temps also rose with the 158.18 drivers. I took my 8800 apart and cleaned it plus added Artic Silver in hopes of lowering temps. This didn't seem to help and in fact the temps rose a cel or two. Something odd I found with my system though is that after opening a media file in Windows media center my temps fell about 7 cel and stayed there(idle temps).:rolleyes:

It's not like this is the first time we've seen nvidia drivers with a temp bug.

I'd say that's the cause of these temp issues.

JC

PSYCHODAD
04-29-07, 03:40 PM
It's not like this is the first time we've seen nvidia drivers with a temp bug.

I'd say that's the cause of these temp issues.

JC
My thoughts also.

neospazzy
05-01-07, 03:58 AM
Geez, I hope this isn't nVidia's answer to "better performance" by forcing the GPU to run full load 24/7. These temps, at least to me, signifies that the GPU is constantly running on full load, ensuring that 3D acceleration is always available. Just my thoughts.

8800gtsfan
05-01-07, 09:31 AM
Water cooled with MCW60 and some ram sinks this week. Temps are now 30 idle and 36 load and thats flashed to my speeds in sig. My temps were about 5 deg c hotter with 158.xx and 165.xx. Also, I was starting to see artifacts, so it's not just a false temp reading, the card is actually running hotter.