PDA

View Full Version : Which Vista for me?

Arioch
04-27-07, 11:18 PM
Well I have been reading through the threads here and I think I want to go ahead and upgrade my PC from XP to Vista this weekend. I am doing this on a PC with a QX6700 and 2x8800GTX, X-Fi Extremegamer soundcard, 150GB Raptor HD for OS, and 450GB Seagate for storage, and 2GB of RAM. I do have a couple questions.

1. Can I use the Vista Ultimate Upgrade CD to install the 64-bit version from my current XP 32-bit or will I need the full version?

2. Will I need to reformat my hard drive or can I keep my existing information on my system?

3. I have a X-Fi soundcard. Does Creative have a decent driver for my soundcard yet?

I appreciate any feedback!

Amuro
04-27-07, 11:52 PM
1. Can I use the Vista Ultimate Upgrade CD to install the 64-bit version from my current XP 32-bit or will I need the full version?
You can use the Upgrade CD if your XP is not OEM version.

2. Will I need to reformat my hard drive or can I keep my existing information on my system?
No, you don't need to reformat. You can choose either upgrade or clean installation when running the CD in Windows.

3. I have a X-Fi soundcard. Does Creative have a decent driver for my soundcard yet?
I'm not sure bout 64bit driver, but the 32 bit version is working fine.

Subtestube
04-27-07, 11:58 PM
You can use the Upgrade CD if your XP is not OEM version.

I'm fairly certain this is not the case. As far as I know, upgrade works with any installed version of XP. However, after some research I believe it's also the case that you can't upgrade to 64 bit Vsita from 32 bit XP (using an upgrade disc).

Arioch
04-28-07, 12:16 AM
Hmmm, I am trying to think of what files I need to get my system going when I upgrade. I will already have the latest Nvidia Vista driver and Creative X-Fi drivers copied to my storage hard drive. Will I need to install anything again for my motherboard, hard drives, or DVD drives? I am using a EVGA 680i motherboard by the way.

Amuro
04-28-07, 12:35 AM
I'm fairly certain this is not the case. As far as I know, upgrade works with any installed version of XP. However, after some research I believe it's also the case that you can't upgrade to 64 bit Vsita from 32 bit XP (using an upgrade disc).
Are you sure? I heard to upgrade from XP OEM, you need a full retail version of Vsita.

Amuro
04-28-07, 12:44 AM
Hmmm, I am trying to think of what files I need to get my system going when I upgrade. I will already have the latest Nvidia Vista driver and Creative X-Fi drivers copied to my storage hard drive. Will I need to install anything again for my motherboard, hard drives, or DVD drives? I am using a EVGA 680i motherboard by the way.
Just the video card and sound card drivers, the others should be already on the Vista disc.

Arioch
04-28-07, 12:48 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I should be able to play all the Vista games coming out like Crysis, Bioshock, etc. if I decide to simply upgrade to the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate correct? I would prefer to upgrade that way and keep all my files instead of starting from scratch anyway. With the retail version of Ultimate I would have the option to change to 64-bit later if I have been reading up on it correctly.

Right now the only games that I own that I will probably want to continue playing when I upgrade are Oblivion and Stalker - I will suffer with Vista games issues with new titles like everyone else.

Amuro
04-28-07, 12:55 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I should be able to play all the Vista games coming out like Crysis, Bioshock, etc. if I decide to simply upgrade to the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate correct? I would prefer to upgrade that way and keep all my files instead of starting from scratch anyway. With the retail version of Ultimate I would have the option to change to 64-bit later if I have been reading up on it correctly.
Yes, that is correct. You may even be able to dual boot 32-bit and 64-bit, since you get both 32-bit and 64-bit discs and they share same product ID.

Arioch
04-28-07, 08:08 AM
I guess my last hang up at this point is if my SATA hard drives will be a problem as I see a lot of people saying the installer does not see them. I am using a 150GB Raptor for my OS at the moment with a 400GB Seagate SATA drive for file storage. I looked through all my CDs and do not see a driver disk for them so I am concerned that I will get tripped up at some point of my installation. I see some people refering to NVIDIA SATA drivers - would I use those instead? Sorry for the stupid questions but I do not want to hose my system.

Redeemed
04-28-07, 08:19 AM

Okay, okay...

I was running XP Pro- an original copy from 2001. Doesn't have SP1 nor SP2. And needless to say it was 32bit. I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade. In short, installed the 64-bit version without a hitch. So yes, even if you are running 32bit XP, you can still upgrade to 64bit Vista Ultimate without a problem.

As for needing more than 2GB RAM for 64-bit- that is rubbish. I'm only using 2GB right now and couldn't be happier. I'm also using a stock Opteron185 (s939, dual-core, 2.6GHz/core, 1MB L2 Cache per core). With your rig, Vista Ultimate x64 will purr. ;)

Make sure to use the Alchemy driver from Creative, those will allow the use of EAX under Vista. And yes, your SATA hard drive will be detected during the Vista installation. My 320GB Maxtor was, and my mobo is older than yours (ASUS A8N32 SLi Dlx is what I'm using). With most modern mobos, SATA drives are treated as IDE drives. Thus, Windows installation no longer requries a floppy with the SATA controller drivers on it. The installation will detect your drive as an IDE drive (well, the XP install program will, Vista I believe sees it as SATA- not sure on that though, Vista install might see it as IDE but I just don't recall which it sees it as to be honest).

You'll love Vista. I do. I've had a few problems where the driver would crash- but recovery was quick and painless. The worst was I minized IE (after browsing the forums here ;) ) and my desktop was nothing but a bunch of random colored squares when it should have been a dreamscene (wallpaper with full-motion). About a second later the screen went black for a second, then flicked back on with everything looking as it should and a pop-up balloon notification stating that the driver had crashed and was successfully restartd. I was down all of two seconds- big whoop. Didn't need to restart Windows or nothing. ;)

With certain games, they might not work at first. If this is the case, then check to see if the game requires any tweak, modification, or patch. As of right now, every game I've tried to play under Vista has worked without incident. Just research the game you want to play to see if any tweaking or updating is necessary to the game after it is installed.

Good luck, and enjoy. So far I see no reason to ever use XP on my computer again. Lovin' Vista. :D

Arioch
04-28-07, 08:26 AM
Okay, okay...

I was running XP Pro- an original copy from 2001. Doesn't have SP1 nor SP2. And needless to say it was 32bit. I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade. In short, installed the 64-bit version without a hitch. So yes, even if you are running 32bit XP, you can still upgrade to 64bit Vista Ultimate without a problem.

As for needing more than 2GB RAM for 64-bit- that is rubbish. I'm only using 2GB right now and couldn't be happier. I'm also using a stock Opteron185 (s939, dual-core, 2.6GHz/core, 1MB L2 Cache per core). With your rig, Vista Ultimate x64 will purr. ;)

Did you do a clean install or upgrade to retain your files?

Redeemed
04-28-07, 08:28 AM
Did you do a clean install or upgrade to retain your files?

It was a fresh install of my copy of XP. So I didn't have anything to retain. As such I chose to do a clean install- though I could have just upgraded without issue (it wasn't grayed out or anything, it was still selectable).

Arioch
04-28-07, 08:36 AM
Ah ok.

Well I am still trying to find out if I need to get some SATA drivers on a floppy or not before I head down to Fry's in about 2 hours for the Ultimate Upgrade DVD. I don't mind reinstalling my games as I will probably only start with Stalker and Oblivion for now. Installing the bazillion mods for Oblivion is another story. Will my second hard drive need to be wiped also? That's were I keep all my downloaded mods right now.

Oops, didn't see you added to your post about the hard drives.

Redeemed
04-28-07, 08:50 AM
Ah ok.

Well I am still trying to find out if I need to get some SATA drivers on a floppy or not before I head down to Fry's in about 2 hours for the Ultimate Upgrade DVD. I don't mind reinstalling my games as I will probably only start with Stalker and Oblivion for now. Installing the bazillion mods for Oblivion is another story. Will my second hard drive need to be wiped also? That's were I keep all my downloaded mods right now.

Oops, didn't see you added to your post about the hard drives.

Yeah, sorry about that. I probably should have just made that a second post. ;) Oh well, glad you saw that though. :D