PDA

View Full Version : SLI - Question

gulizard
04-28-07, 12:15 AM
Ok I know how it works, and that there is a huge performance gain. I got one 8800 GTS, you couldn't put a GTX in beside that and SLI Them could you? It has to be an identical card right, or could I get a GTS KO Series from EVGA and stick it in next to my 8800 GTS and sli those?

Amuro
04-28-07, 12:22 AM
Even if you can, the GTX will be running at GTS stats. So you're better of just buy another GTS.

Xion X2
04-28-07, 12:27 AM
Nope, has to be the same card as you already have.

gulizard
04-28-07, 01:50 AM
so the KO wouldn't work in SLI form? Isn't the KO just at higher clocks? I can achieve those with my GTS easily... so if I o/ced the KO couldn't I run it in SLI?

I know I saw a review on here about being able to run mixed vendors..

Xion X2
04-28-07, 09:53 AM
Any GTS will pair up fine with your other GTS, but keep in mind that they will run at the lowest clocks set between the two cards. So if you want both of your cards to run at KO speed, then you have to overclock your other GTS to that same speed.

kevJ420
04-28-07, 11:51 AM
I'm not saying this will work, someone would have to confirm this, but could you flash to the same bios?

Just a thought, I've got know idea for sure.

I have (2) 8800gtx's in sli (they're both KO ACS3)

Xion X2
04-28-07, 02:02 PM
It may work, but flashing a BIOS is always risky.. whether it's a mainboard or video card. And there's really no reason to do it in his case. All he has to do is overclock both cards through RivaTuner and set it to start at the same clocks whenever Windows restarts.

john19055
04-28-07, 07:26 PM
It makes it a lot easier to keep your cards overclocked with out haveing to use a third party program.Epcecialy when flashing your bios with certain cards, it is very easy ,the ones that already have a bios update for them like Evga ,all you need to do is exctract the bios update from evga to a floppy disk or what ever you use to flash with.Save you a copy of your backup flash just in case .But all you need is ATITOOL to find your safe overclocks and make sure there is no artifacts at the speed you want to run them ,and run benchmarks of all kind to make sure they are stable.You may also want to dowload rivatuner to see what your shaders are set at with that overclock on your core and memory before flashing so you can see where they need to be set at,when you have done that get Nibitor3.3 and open up your file that is on you Floppy disk ,such as 821.rom then change your clocks and sharders and memory speed to what you want them overclocked at .and save the file on your c or d drive .make sure the one you save with the overclocks has the extact name as the one in the floppy,Then all you need to do is copy the one you just saved and go to your floppy and paste it .It will ask you are you sure you want to this ,just say yes.You can recheck it by going back to nibitor and open the file you just pasted,to make sure it has the right clocks.Now this is just with Evga cards and there update for there bios's.Then all you do is make sure your floppy is you first drive to boot,and it will do everthing automantically you will need to push Y when it ask,but that is it .Then boot your computer back up and reload your drivers for your card.IF you are running sli the I would suggest doing one card at a time.

jcrox
04-28-07, 07:42 PM
Any GTS will pair up fine with your other GTS, but keep in mind that they will run at the lowest clocks set between the two cards. So if you want both of your cards to run at KO speed, then you have to overclock your other GTS to that same speed.

That's not true at all, I think it depends on your motherboard. My EVGA-NF41 over clocked my BFG 7800GT to match my EVGA 7800GT speeds. It might have something to do with which slot you put them in as well, I don't remember.

EDIT: Just talked to a friend with an AN8-32X mobo and he said the same thing, as long as he puts the overclocked card in the primary slot the other card ends up overclocked

fraggelrock
05-01-07, 04:42 PM
Just to confirm - you can use 2 cards that are the same chipset - but maybe running a different clockspeeds - and if the slowest is put in the primary - the Mobo will balance them out?

Xion X2
05-01-07, 07:12 PM
That's not true at all, I think it depends on your motherboard. My EVGA-NF41 over clocked my BFG 7800GT to match my EVGA 7800GT speeds. It might have something to do with which slot you put them in as well, I don't remember.

EDIT: Just talked to a friend with an AN8-32X mobo and he said the same thing, as long as he puts the overclocked card in the primary slot the other card ends up overclocked

Are you sure about this, jcrox? Because this guy from XFX Support backs up what I said:
They will work together in sli, however the faster video card will slow down to the speeds of the slower one. If you really dont want the faster card to slow down there is another way, since both of us EVGA and XFX allow overclocking you might want to try overclocking the EVGA card to the XFX cards speed.

XFX Support
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90707

If I'm wrong that's fine, but I've never heard that it works like you're claiming it does. I've always heard that the cards will run at the lowest speeds between the two.

john19055
05-01-07, 11:41 PM
I never have heard of that either ,I have always heard which ever one is the slowest then that is what the other card will run even if it is faster.You can always flash the slower card to be as fast as the other card as long as the card can handle the overclock,It would'nt make since to me for it to overclock your slower card to match the faster one,because what if the slower card is unable to run at the speed of the faster card,Then you would have all kinds of problems.That is why it is done that way so there is no chance of messing a card up due to it not being able to run at higher clocks.