PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new mouse

buffbiff21
04-29-07, 08:58 AM
Title. :cool:

I am coming from this:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AY649C.01.PT03._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I love the button layout; I use back/forward, and i customized the others to Close/Minimize/Maximize. That's 10 buttons. But this mouse has horrid tracking and low DPI...

My new mouse MUST have at least 9 buttons; for this reason I am thinking of going with a Razer (Copperhead) (but wanted to double check with its drivers to see if you can customize it to do Close, Minimize and Maximize. I just dont want the LED lights... So that makes me consider the G5. Plus hte new G5 has the forward button again.

Price is irrelevant. I was originally thinking of going with another wireless, but I am so annoyed by my mouse going into standby mode to consume battery, that I would rather have a corded mouse and not have to worry about that. Add to that, my wireless is heavy due to the batteries.

So, any suggestions, or info would be appreciated. :)

CaptNKILL
04-29-07, 09:20 AM
I don't know about the 9 buttons thing, but I'm a Logitech fan for life. My last 3 mice have been Logitech opticals and I've used them for 7 years and all 3 are still in perfect working order.

MX500 and MX518 are awesome. I highly recommend any mouse with that basic design. The new G5 with the 2nd thumb button gets my vote.

I wish they would make a gaming version of the MX Revolution since it has a really nice design and some cool features, but the DPI is lacking and it doesn't have DPI switching buttons.

buffbiff21
04-29-07, 09:33 AM
Yeah my current one is an MX3000. It came with a keyboard for 55 bucks on Newegg about 6 months ago. :cool: The keyboard stays, but the mouse is on its way out. :thumbdwn:

I also have an old optical Logitech that I now use on my laptop to ditch the damn sensor device thingey. It is at least 3 years old... seen TONS of use.

So G5 it is then? (lee63)

Xion X2
04-29-07, 11:04 AM
The Logitech Revolution looks really similar to that one you posted a picture of. Might want to try that one?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134

It's a high-performance laser DPI. I'm not into cordless mice, though. Not sure if they make one that's not cordless.

jAkUp
04-29-07, 02:06 PM
I would go for the Deathadder, I have tried many mice from G5 to Copperhead, and the deathadder is definitely my favorite. I have many gripes about both the G5 and Copperhead, but the Deathadder is nearly perfect to me.

DMx
04-29-07, 02:17 PM
I use a Logitech MX518, low weight, just the right amount of friction, high responsiveness, lots of buttons, and fits my hand perfectly.

ew2x4
04-29-07, 02:31 PM
Another vote for the MX518.

LT.Schaffer
04-29-07, 03:00 PM
+1 for the MX518

Dazz
04-29-07, 04:12 PM
I think i will be picking up a Logitech MX Revolution, my MX1000 is acting up in that it some times double left clicks when you press it once. Had it for years with very heavy use so not unexpected.

Vagabond
04-29-07, 04:45 PM
Razer Copperhead...
Generally speaking Razer is better when it comes to Games.

buffbiff21
04-29-07, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134
Yeah that one is definitely sexy. But I'm thinkin of going corded now too.. :(

Deathadder
Hmm... it looks kind of bulky. Plus it looks like it only has 2 side buttons. I may have to try it out. Does anyone know where I can try ALL of these out?? Best Buy? I know my Circuit city doesnt have crap for mouse selection... nor does Staples or Office Depot.. those are the only close stores to my house.

+1 for the MX518
The MX518 looks exactly like the G5, but it's optical... and I rsorta dont want a bright ass red LED... Does the 1600 DPI make any difference between the ones with 2000 DPI??

Razer Copperhead...
Generally speaking Razer is better when it comes to Games.

Can you verify if you can customize the buttons to Close, Maximize, and Minimize? Those are three KEY elements I use when Im surfing... which is more than playing games a lot more recently.... :o

LT.Schaffer
04-29-07, 06:19 PM
The MX518 looks exactly like the G5, but it's optical... and I rsorta dont want a bright ass red LED... Does the 1600 DPI make any difference between the ones with 2000 DPI??

Well the red LED is very small&not bright,as for the Speed i don't know since i've only used the MX518...

Tr1cK
04-29-07, 07:07 PM
The Microsoft & Razer Habu (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=092)

I love mine. The firmware update was a little tricky, but the mouse is worth it!

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/images/signature/gm_habu_otherview_1.jpg

buffbiff21
05-16-07, 06:33 AM
I tested out a Copperhead.. didn't like it.. so...

well I got a G5 for 25 bucks :D

TZS8CNL5SGFLW3 coupon at Dell.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0523105

We'll see how this works. If I cannot live without my forward button then I'm going to get an MX518. :afro2:

Amuro
05-16-07, 06:43 AM
Get the DeathAdder from Razor or the new G5.

radekhulan
05-16-07, 10:23 AM
Razer Copperhead or Logitech G5 are both excellent, but .. you should try them first. Some people love G5 and cannot live with Razer and vice versa. Logitech is bigger, better suits bigger hands, but ladies and some teenagers might prefer Copperhead ;)

Do not get Logitech® MX™ Revolution, it is for n00bs, 800dpi only.

Do not get Logitech MX518, 1600dpi is ok, but G5 surface is much better to hold.

buffbiff21
05-16-07, 02:08 PM
I got a G5 for 25 bucks :D

guys come on... I already bought the mouse. :o

JayG30
05-16-07, 09:26 PM
Oh come on. Everyone always gives the Revolution a bad wrap. First off it was not designed to be a gaming mouse. It's a work mouse. I have one and absolutely love it. I work with Engineer and 3D modeling apps and do a fair amount of programming. It is not a "noob" mouse. In fact it is the best mouse I have ever used. And to be honest it does a fairly decent job in gaming. Maybe if people would read some of the reviews they would know this already.

Every "HaRDCoRe GaMeR" likes to bad mouth products because it doesn't do what they want it to do when it wasn't even designed for that. They all think they are the best gamer in the world and they need some special mouse or something. While all the pro gamers in the world actually use a Microsoft IntelliMouse or something thats like 15 years old. I've tried all those fancy G whatever mouses and none of them felt right. Not worth the money for gaming IMO. It's not going to make you better. At least my Revolution makes me more productive and get more work done.

PS: I have a program for the Revolution that allows me to set the scroll wheel to click like a normal mouse and not change the scroll mechanism. It's funny that so many people talk about this like it's not possible. It is very possible to set on the Revolution.