PDA

View Full Version : Is the Cell really faster than a core 2 duo or quad?

kevJ420
04-30-07, 02:02 PM
I've always thought that the QX6800 was superior to the Cell, but a lot of people are saying how the cell can launch a nuclear weapon or some **** like that (I didn't make any of that up, I think it's stupid myself.)

Why did people say the same thing about the EE in the PS2, when desktop CPU's released in the 1st 1/2 of 1999 were just as fast?

No one ever said that a high-end desktop CPU could do all the **** people say a Cell CPU can do, but I think otherwise.

m3dude
04-30-07, 02:03 PM
cell is faster in some areas, core 2 is faster in others.

thor1182
04-30-07, 02:06 PM
wow, just wow.

But to answer your question, it depends on what you are doing. For sheer computation number crunching, you are going to want to use a Cell for that task. When it comes to every day tasks like running an OS, a web browser, and games, any desktop CPU of the same design age as the cell could smoke it.

People's thoughts on how uber the cell is largely to people not taking the time to learn for themselves on how stuff actually works and take what marketing people shove down their throats.

evilchris
04-30-07, 02:50 PM
A desk calculator can launch a nuclear weapon.

zoomy942
04-30-07, 03:01 PM
so can a little red button

ViN86
04-30-07, 03:26 PM
i could use two wires to launch a nuclear weapon.

zoomy942
04-30-07, 03:31 PM
here ya go

SebC
04-30-07, 03:51 PM
I thought the cell was faster than anything on the market right now :S

stncttr908
04-30-07, 04:04 PM
It depends on your application I suppose. For example, the Cell smokes anything else there when it comes to the needs of apps like Folding@Home.

Lyme
04-30-07, 04:22 PM
To best answer your question you need to think of the cell as two parts: a)The PowerPC based core cpu b) The 16 SPEs.

A core duo cpu running at ~2ghz has more processing power than (a), however the SIMD instructions in the Core duo have significantly less processing power than (b).
Keep in mind, that (b) cannot operate on it's own, and requries (a) to direct it's actions.

As such the answer really isn't cut and dry. The Cell is a powerful cpu, but like everything else it has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Toss3
04-30-07, 04:49 PM
A desk calculator can launch a nuclear weapon.
Nope, it has to be a real next-gen calculator to be able to do that! :D

Bman212121
04-30-07, 04:56 PM
I've always thought that the QX6800 was superior to the Cell, but a lot of people are saying how the cell can launch a nuclear weapon or some **** like that (I didn't make any of that up, I think it's stupid myself.)

Why did people say the same thing about the EE in the PS2, when desktop CPU's released in the 1st 1/2 of 1999 were just as fast?

No one ever said that a high-end desktop CPU could do all the **** people say a Cell CPU can do, but I think otherwise.

It wasn't whether or not it could launch the nuke, that isn't hard. IIRC they needed the PS2 processor to run the missle guideance system. It wouldn't suprise me that in this day an age there are a lot of other devices that now have enough processing power to do so.