the 65nm-made Xenos has been sent out and production will start in
May. TSMC projected sales contribution from 65nm would amount to 5%
during mid-2007.

On a separate note, TSMC announced the introduction of 65nm-made
embedded DRAM in March. Embedded DRAM is one of the two dies that
comprise the Xenos. In the 90nm version of the Xenos, embedded DRAM is
manufactured by NEC.

also
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070430-coming-this-fall-a-65nm-xbox-360.html
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15975
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjU0OTUsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31828/118/

this is the first time that I am aware of that anything concrete has been mentioned about the Xenos GPU going 65nm. Everything else over the last year or so, regarding 65nm Xbox 360, has been about the IBM Xenon/Waternoose CPU.

both main chips being on 65nm can only be a good thing.

Hopefully the motherboard has been redesigned also, thus hopefully the problem of dying Xbox 360s and red lights of death will be a thing of the past.

kev13dd
04-30-07, 02:36 PM
I don't get why they released the Elites right now if they were actually ganna put these changes in eventually. Releasing the Elites right now isn't really a big deal, not to mention the hardware isn't significant enough for lots of people to change. They could have waited till the smaller chips were out, released the Elite around the holiday season touting these changes, and probably done a bit better

Probably would have given them time to work out what the color black actually means too...

K

evilchris
04-30-07, 02:48 PM
The elite is a bulletpoint release.

Bigger HDD than Sony
HDMEye!~!!

Neither mean squat, but hey, lemmings like bulletpoints.

ViN86
04-30-07, 03:27 PM
The elite is a bulletpoint release.

Bigger HDD than Sony
HDMEye!~!!

Neither mean squat, but hey, lemmings like bulletpoints.
:werd:

TiKiMaN1
04-30-07, 03:40 PM
I am a fetchin' Lemming and proud of it! (crazy)

Ninja Prime
04-30-07, 03:48 PM
I'm waiting out the first batch of elites with the 65nm cores on them in the fall/winter. All the good games this year don't appear to be coming out 'till then anyway.

ViN86
04-30-07, 04:09 PM
I am a fetchin' Lemming and proud of it! (crazy)
nah youre not a lemming.

i was referring more to the point that its a bulletpoint release so it can match the features of the PS3.

Lyme
04-30-07, 04:11 PM
I don't get why they released the Elites right now if they were actually ganna put these changes in eventually. Releasing the Elites right now isn't really a big deal, not to mention the hardware isn't significant enough for lots of people to change. They could have waited till the smaller chips were out, released the Elite around the holiday season touting these changes, and probably done a bit better

Probably would have given them time to work out what the color black actually means too...

K

Because Microsoft through XBL is the leading online provider of HDTV downloads, and they needed bigger hard drives.

kev13dd
04-30-07, 06:42 PM
Because Microsoft through XBL is the leading online provider of HDTV downloads, and they needed bigger hard drives.
I get that, but they only had to release a bigger hard drive to do that. From just about every report, the HDMI isn't making a noticeable difference in quality. So if they had just released the new hard drive alone they could have waited to release the "elite" version with smaller chips, HDMI, larger hard drive standard, and who knows what upgraded features. The Elite should have been a flagship for a new, better console rather than a just slightly different looking one

K

Lyme
04-30-07, 07:32 PM
There also was a small revision to board layout, and changes to some of the chips.

I have the feeling that the elite was somewhat forced out due to MS trying to woo the iptv providers to use it.

Peoples-Agent
04-30-07, 07:33 PM
I get that, but they only had to release a bigger hard drive to do that. From just about every report, the HDMI isn't making a noticeable difference in quality. So if they had just released the new hard drive alone they could have waited to release the "elite" version with smaller chips, HDMI, larger hard drive standard, and who knows what upgraded features. The Elite should have been a flagship for a new, better console rather than a just slightly different looking one

K

Oh well, people will still buy it and suck it up.

The Elite and the bigger hard drive don't interest me in the slightest, the HD-DVD drive may do in the near future though.

Gorion
04-30-07, 07:49 PM
My 360 died and I picked up a Wii today. So I have my PS3 and my Wii to carry me for a while. I'll pick up a new 360 when they can actually get them working right.