PDA

View Full Version : HDMI on the PS3

DiscipleDOC
05-01-07, 08:51 AM
Is there a cable that I can use to connectt the HDMI (on my PS3) to the vga on my lcd?

Amuro
05-01-07, 09:01 AM
No, but you can use a HDMI-DVI cable or a HDMI cable + HDMI-DVI adapter along with a 2x1 DVI switcher to connect both your PS3 and PC to the same DVI port on you monitor.

DiscipleDOC
05-01-07, 09:03 AM
No, but you can use a HDMI-DVI cable or a HDMI cable + HDMI-DVI adapter along with a 2x1 DVI switcher to connect both your PS3 and PC to the same DVI port on you monitor.
:wtf:
English, please? :D

|MaguS|
05-01-07, 09:08 AM
If your monitor supports DVI then you can get an HDMI to DVI cable. Otherwise your going to need to get a VGA box to convert Component to VGA.

zoomy942
05-01-07, 09:09 AM
watch out. those DVI to HDMI cables are a RIPOFF.

Amuro
05-01-07, 09:25 AM
watch out. those DVI to HDMI cables are a RIPOFF.
I'd go with a HDMI cable and just get a HDMI-DVI adapter.

Tr1cK
05-01-07, 09:27 AM
Its my understanding that HDMI = DVI + Sound. If that helps.

ViN86
05-01-07, 09:51 AM
DVI and HDMI are digital. VGA is analog.

they make cables with a HDMI plug on one side and a DVI on the other. use one of those and run it into the DVI on your monitor.

or, get a box to convert DVI to VGA and then run the VGA into your monitor. thats what they are trying to tell you :)

DiscipleDOC
05-01-07, 10:03 AM
It's all good. I bought a component AV cable, and It seems to get good input via my monitor.

Amuro
05-01-07, 10:06 AM
:wtf:
English, please? :D
OK, if you want to hook the PS3 to your LCD via the console's HDMI output, you have to use the DVI port on your LCD monitor. There are two ways to it. One way is to simply use a HDMI-DVI cable, connect the HDMI end to the PS3 and the DVI end to the LCD, but the problem with that is you will need to get a new cable if you're ever going to connect the PS3 to a HDTV later. The other way, which is what I'd do, is to buy a regular HDMI cable and then simply get a female HDMI to male DVI adater plug, so if you want to hook up to a HDTV you can just reuse the cable.

If you also want to connect your PC to the LCD using DVI, and you hate plugging and unplugging cables, you will need to get a DVI switcher. Or if you don't mind, you can just connect the PC to the VGA.

DiscipleDOC
05-01-07, 10:25 AM
OK, if you want to hook the PS3 to your LCD via the console's HDMI output, you have to use the DVI port on your LCD monitor. There are two ways to it. One way is to simply use a HDMI-DVI cable, connect the HDMI end to the PS3 and the DVI end to the LCD, but the problem with that is you will need to get a new cable if you're ever going to connect the PS3 to a HDTV later. The other way, which is what I'd do, is to buy a regular HDMI cable and then simply get a female HDMI to male DVI adater plug, so if you want to hook up to a HDTV you can just reuse the cable.

If you also want to connect your PC to the LCD using DVI, and you hate plugging and unplugging cables, you will need to get a DVI switcher. Or if you don't mind, you can just connect the PC to the VGA.
If I did that, would I be able to get 1080p?

Banko
05-01-07, 10:55 AM
You should be able to, but in a couple of years you'll have to make sure your monitor supports HDCP.

Bman212121
05-01-07, 11:05 AM

I can't say 100% on your monitor, but yes, my PS3 does 1080p when I hook it up using an HDMI to DVI cable to my 2407. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to if your monitor has HDCP and can do that res.

I've been looking at the adapter things, and I can't find a good enough price on it to worry about getting one with an adapter. You can buy an HDMI to DVI cable for $10, and the adapter itself costs about $10. I know I saw one with the cable, but that probably costs $20 so your no farther ahead than buying an HDMI to DVI and HDMI to HDMI cable. Also, the cable wouldn't go to waste if you needed to buy an HDMI cable to hook the PS3 up to the tv because you'd probably still need the old one to hook the pc up to it. :)

If you get a cable and like it, there is a permanent way to hook the PS3 up to your monitor, and still use the pc. You'd need to buy a DVI switcher that is either passive or supports HDCP. It would be something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2902878 But even this one might not work if it can't do the full res on your monitor. I honestly don't see why it wouldn't do 1920 x 1200 if it can do 1080p, but it is something you'd need to check for when trying to find one.

Bman212121
05-01-07, 11:06 AM
Doc go to www.gefen.com. They have products to do what you want bud.

+1 They are a little expensive, but from my findings seem to have some of the best stuff.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3106

That is the box that would probably work the best, but unless you can find it somewhere else, it is kind of expensive for what it does.

Amuro
05-01-07, 08:31 PM
+1 They are a little expensive, but from my findings seem to have some of the best stuff.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3106

That is the box that would probably work the best, but unless you can find it somewhere else, it is kind of expensive for what it does.
That is exactly what I'm using right now. Before that I used this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HDMI-DVI-Digital-Coaxial-Audio-Selector-Switch-Switcher_W0QQitemZ270112694102QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6 4596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Which is passive and 200 bucks cheaper, but you don't have a remote. Image quality is the same and I don't notice any difference.