PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Dual Core Performance

bagman
05-02-07, 12:50 AM
Hi there
I'm running a FX-60 and am curious to see how the CPU's are performing.
I find that Ctrl-Alt-Delete pauses games and therefore yu see nothing under the graphs in Performance Tab of Task Manager.
Is there some piece of hardware that you can plug in via a USB port to do the same work as Task Manager ??

On a related question, when running AVG Antivirus and Ad-Aware at the same time, I not in task manager that both graphs are occupied and the CPU usage rate is around 50pct.
Does that mean both CPU's are running at 50pct or 100pct ??

cheers and thank you in advance for your replies

cheers

Xion X2
05-02-07, 12:54 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del should work. I can do that in the middle of games and see CPU usage.

Go by each individually. If you're at 50% in both graphs, then it means each core is being utilized 50%.

bagman
05-04-07, 04:36 AM
Have managed to get this sorted.
Opened up Task Manager and minimised to tool bar.
Ran a game then quit.
Enabled Task Mgr from tool bar and there are both graphs occupied.
Left one slightly higher than right one.
Tried some game that are single threaded and some that claim to be optimized for dual cores.
Each time the graphs are occupied...some more than others e.g COD2 which had both graphs running at the very top

cheers

Wolfhound
05-04-07, 08:01 AM
Have managed to get this sorted.
Opened up Task Manager and minimised to tool bar.
Ran a game then quit.
Enabled Task Mgr from tool bar and there are both graphs occupied.
Left one slightly higher than right one.
Tried some game that are single threaded and some that claim to be optimized for dual cores.
Each time the graphs are occupied...some more than others e.g COD2 which had both graphs running at the very top

cheers

Windows XP sets itself the affinity forr 2 processors (50% each) without the need of the application being multi-threaded, that means that the load for both cores should be 50% (on one core that means 100% of CPU use), but true multithreaded app or "dual core ready" like COD2 should use 100% of each core.