PDA

View Full Version : i need some help. it will be appreciated to the fullest.

kevJ420
05-03-07, 09:30 AM
I'm hearing some distortion when listening to music. The scenario is the following:

a) I have a bluegears audio card, and the drivers are perfectly stable.
b)i'm using high quality Dutch designed Philips headphones, w/ a high-quality name brand extension cable.
c) my 8800 gtx's acs3's are at the top and bottom of the bluegears sound card.
d)i have a evga 680i with the P24 bios.
e) distortion with 2 speaker and headphone mode

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

The things I can think of that might be it are that the aluminum block on the bottom of the 8800 gtx acs3 above it could be causing EMI; or the 680i has serious electrical problems; or the extension cable is causing it (least likely)

I can't open the case b/c I'm not standing on a wooden surface and I don't have one of those braclets.

Also, some more questions:

Does the evga 680i have all solid state capacitators? does it have any solid state ones? How long do non solid state capacitators last?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xion X2
05-03-07, 10:39 AM
I can't open the case b/c I'm not standing on a wooden surface and I don't have one of those braclets.

http://www.btinternet.com/~alpass/wtf.jpg

kevJ420
05-03-07, 11:02 AM
http://www.btinternet.com/~alpass/wtf.jpg

In case you didn't know, there's grounding bracelets you're supposed to have if you want to open the case.

I have carpet in my room. standing on carpet while working with the parts of a PC damages the parts. Standing on wood doesn't.

Some say that if you're standing on wood when you put a paperclip in a wall socket you may not get electrocuted.

I'm not dumb enough to find out for myself though.

Wood don't conduct electricity. Carpets, blankets, water and metal do conduct electricity.

grey_1
05-03-07, 11:04 AM
All you have to do is touch your case or metal first. I also try to maintain contact with the case while working, rest my arm against it.

You'll be ok.

evilghost
05-03-07, 11:15 AM
Get a wrist strap, an ESD wrist strap from CompUsless or BreastBuy. Your site wiring will have the common run to an earth ground on the panel, just clip the ESD wrist strap on to any piece of metal that's also connected to a wall socket like a light, computer (with power supply off), etc. If you really want to be a ninja just take the alligator clip off and put the metal post into the ground on the wall socket.

The ground is the 'O'.

[] []
O

Xion X2
05-03-07, 11:22 AM
In case you didn't know, there's grounding bracelets you're supposed to have if you want to open the case.

I have carpet in my room. standing on carpet while working with the parts of a PC damages the parts. Standing on wood doesn't.

Kev, you really are a worry-wart.

As long as you're not intentionally scrubbing your feet on the carpet and kicking up all kinds of static electricity, you'll be fine. Just follow Grey's advice and touch the sides of your case before you go handling the components. Ground yourself first by doing that.

I've worked on computers for years w/o wearing some uber-ninja bracelet or standing on a wooden surface and rarely, if ever, damaged anything. I've never even heard of such a practice.

evilghost
05-03-07, 11:24 AM
It's called ESD, Electro-Static Discharge, it's real, it's exists, and I've blown stuff up by not being grounded properly, even after temporary discharge like touching the case/etc. ESD isn't a myth ;)

Xion X2
05-03-07, 11:26 AM
It's called ESD, Electro-Static Discharge, it's real, it's exists, and I've blown stuff up by not being grounded properly, even after temporary discharge like touching the case/etc. ESD isn't a myth ;)

Oh, I don't doubt that it exists.

You've blown up computer parts w/ ESD?

evilghost
05-03-07, 11:28 AM
Oh, I don't doubt that it exists.

You've blown up computer parts w/ ESD?

Yeah, and it sucked. Got a DIMM once, a MODEM, a motherboard, and an HDD. All across my career, not on one day :)

Seen ESD do some crazy things. I won't touch a server without an ESD strap on, especially if I'm in a datacenter. When I handle components I always grab on the outside of the PCB like I would hold a CD to avoid contact with them.

mullet
05-03-07, 01:27 PM
Static discharge you can't feel can damage electronics. Just leave the power supply cable plugged in with the power switch turned off, everything is grounded then. I have never killed any components in 12 years.

J-Mag
05-03-07, 02:29 PM
The chances for any ESD damage go up exponentially if you live in a dry environment. Also, silicate soils tend to cause more static build up.

evilghost
05-03-07, 02:31 PM
Or wear socks on a high-nap carpet while rubbing inflated balloons on your head with a de-humidifier running full-blast with one arm on a Vandergraph generator.

jcrox
05-03-07, 03:05 PM
Hey Kev, I was thinking about buying 2 of the 8800 GTX's you have, I'm worried about temps though, can you post a screenshot of the nvmonitor showing the gpu temps for me...i'm just curious as to what they run at.

jcrox
05-03-07, 03:08 PM
Or wear socks on a high-nap carpet while rubbing inflated balloons on your head with a de-humidifier running full-blast with one arm on a Vandergraph generator.
:udawg:

kevJ420
05-03-07, 03:59 PM
Hey Kev, I was thinking about buying 2 of the 8800 GTX's you have, I'm worried about temps though, can you post a screenshot of the nvmonitor showing the gpu temps for me...i'm just curious as to what they run at.

ok here's the details:

I have 2 acs3's. only one I can find the temp of now, b/c I only have expert tool and the 96.89 drivers, no ntune. I know at least one I have set at 580MHz core/1920 MHz memory, and at least the under****ed one the fan is at 100%. I'd like to be able to downclock both to to 575/1680, hopefully with the next release of ntune I'll be able to.

So nvidias monitor says currently: 53 celsius (with the buggy ntune the other card was about 4 degrees C higher, but only one of them could have 100% fan speed.

Xpert tool says 51 C. I think that's just for the card underclocked and 100% fan speed, since I don't see 2 temps listed.

I've had one of them at 47 C, but not in a while.

kevJ420
05-03-07, 04:01 PM
I need some help. Anyone reading this for the 1st time, try to go to the 1st post. my questions are there. greatly appreciated=)

Xion X2
05-03-07, 04:46 PM
Try turning the volume down on your sound control panel. If it's set too high it can cause distortion in some games.

Madpistol
05-03-07, 05:11 PM
Ummmmm... wear some rubber-soled shoes for about 5 minutes before you tamper with your computer... it's that easy.

nV`andrew
05-03-07, 06:00 PM
heh i built my pc on carpet and had socks on and everything. really stupid, i know, but my comp wasnt harmed. i do all my work on it while im on tile and the pc is on a wooden table