PDA

View Full Version : Overclock GeForce4 MX440 / Possible damage on the card?

Dead_Kennedy
03-24-03, 08:33 AM
I tried to overclock my (brand new) GeForce4 440MX.

I used a little utility called RivaTuner,that doesnt let you exceed the "safe limits".

Anyway,I try to play games like Splinter Cell,C&C Generals,Unreal II,and though my system configuration exceeds the minimum requirements of these games(esp. Splinter Cell and C&C Generals),the games are kind of slow. (P4 1,7GHz, 512MB SDRAM, GF4 MX440 128MB is what I have).

My question is:

-When you overclock,the (possible) damage on your card is type 0-1 (meaning that either it's working,or it doesn't at all), or the damage can cause a degradation to the cards functionallity?(which is what I fear has happened).

I hope its not the second case.

I would aprreciate any help.Thx

PS:I used Core Freq :305 / Memory Freq: 405

saturnotaku
03-24-03, 09:05 AM
The main reason your games are slow is because the GeForce4 MX is nothing more than a glorified GeForce2. If you purchased a GeForce4 Ti4200 or Radeon 9500 Pro, I guarantee your games would run a lot faster.

RobHague
03-25-03, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Dead_Kennedy

My question is:

-When you overclock,the (possible) damage on your card is type 0-1 (meaning that either it's working,or it doesn't at all), or the damage can cause a degradation to the cards functionallity?(which is what I fear has happened).

I hope its not the second case.

I would aprreciate any help.Thx

PS:I used Core Freq :305 / Memory Freq: 405

Both. It can just die or work fine for a few months and then die (although usually displaying unstability and image artifacts first). The trick is to overclock conservitivly, dont go mad. Heat is the main cause of problems, if its running too hot for a long period of time that can cause damage.

But do what saturnotaku said, try and get a Geforce4 Ti or a Radeon 9500/600 PRO. Im personally using a GF4 MX (IGP on the nforce2) and im getting 2660 3dmarks - in DualDDR mode you can get 4400 odd. However put this along side the fact that my old P3 667 with a Geforce3 Ti200 managed 5500 and you can see that its not really a high performance gaming card by any streach of the imagination and is holding your PC back. Incidentally you can get Geforce 3's pretty cheap too now.

Dead_Kennedy
03-26-03, 07:07 AM
I dont know how to overclock,I just scooped through the net and downloaded the RivaTuner,and tweaked around a bit but without any former experience.Someone mentioned turning off anti-aliasing to get some decent FPS.Do I turn it off from the games menus,or from the cards Interface?

And if decide to overclock,what values should I use? I dont know if I have cooler or heater-sink,I know squat to be precise.I just know that it is a Manli GeForce4 MX 440 128MB.

Since I am going to starve for a month(my money went to the upgrade) I would appreciate any help.Thx.

saturnotaku
03-26-03, 10:15 AM
Since you pretty much say you know nothing about overclocking, I wouldn't even attempt it until I read everything I could about it.

www.geforcefaq.com is a good start and Google can be your best friend in this. Use RivaTuner to reset the card back to its default speeds and read up before you try any other system modifications.

RobHague
03-26-03, 10:21 AM
Yeah, you really wont get that much extra % out of the card anyway. Id go with saturnotaku.

zakelwe
03-27-03, 01:42 AM
C&C generals runs slow on my machine as well and I use a GF 4400 coupled to nforce2 and Barton, so it's obviously the video card holding it back with this game.

The easy solution to that is to lower the game resolution and go from 32 bit down to 16 bit if you are playing at 32 bit. Try 800 x 600 at 16 bit and then work upwards on the resolution to 1024 x 768.

Then you can decide if you want to overclock. As an aside my GF4 440 MX runs at 405c/688m with Peltier cooling and nowadays shows an amber tinge across the whole screen very similar to one of those sandstroms in Iraq ! Luckily I only use it for messing about with.

Regards

Andy

Dead_Kennedy
03-27-03, 05:31 AM
And one last thing,I have SDRAM,not DDR.I guess that kind of slows my P4 down a bit.But motherboards are quite expensive.Maybe near summer a motherboard change is imminent.