PDA

View Full Version : Any M-Audio soundcard users here?

superklye
05-03-07, 10:34 PM
If so, which card are you using, what's your main use for it and how do you feel about it?

Is anyone using the Delta 1010 or the Delta 1010LT? I was considering both as I'm getting more into audio creation and production/engineering and would love to get my hands on ProTools without going the Mac route. Just curious for feedback is all. :)

ynnek
05-06-07, 02:26 AM
I got the Audiophile 192. I use it mainly for audio out, to listen to music, and to listen to music I'm trying to create, right now through P5 and a whole bunch of soft synths and effects... (P5 synths, rapture, reaktor, battery).. I think I might also get Sonar to help tie some multiple layers and final editing together.. (P5 main power is to do MIDI work mainlessly and be open to use other software)

One thing to note.. M-Audio still doesn't have any drivers for Vista (32 or 64) for the Delta line.. Rumor has it, the 64 bit windows drivers might be forced to work under Vista for ASIO only. just google M-audio vista, and you can read up on the fustrated people whining.. I think audioforum has a list of Vista compatible stuff, if thats important to you. I'm hoping Vista drivers will be out by summer.. Then I pull the trigger on a quadcore box and move to Vista 64 bit. :)

I also have a KRK RP8's and a M-Audio Axiom 25.

BTW, Let me tell you, its awesome having the computer cpu case outside of the room when you do audio work.. Since you virtually have 0 noise, you don't have to crank up the volume on your monitor, which is much easier on your ears after time. And if you do recording, you'll want your computer outside...

PS, my X-Fi and M-audio 192 seem to coexist together nicely. :) I've heard rumors that EMU cards and X-Fi cards don't get along, since Creative based the drivers on the same software.

superklye
05-07-07, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm actually using the E-MU Xboard49 for my MIDI controller currently. I haven't had a ton of time to play with it since I got it, but it's fun to putz here and there. I like it though and it gets the job done pretty well. I'm still trying to figure out Ableton Live 6, though, and I really need to get a book on piano so I can start teaching myself correctly.

But anyway... I'm not too worried about Vista drivers as I have absolutely no plans to migrate until the driver issues are worked out...so probably not for a year or so. :)

I considered getting a second soundcard and having both in there, but I don't have the room. SLI 8800s block all but one PCI slot. :(

ynnek
05-07-07, 04:06 PM
You got a firewire port? If so, you can use firewire. IMO, if you are getting another sound card/interface for music, you might as well get a set of studio monitor speakers too... Else stick the X-Fi for now, unless you are planning to record live sounds alot..... For latency, this audiophile 192 gives me about 5 ms latencies with no sweat.. Under my X-Fi, anything under 40 ms ate up a TON of CPU.

I actually got started delving into all this using Project5, since 99% of what I do is in MIDI right now.

Funny thing is, now I'm trying out the demo of Sonar.. and the light version of Ableton 6, and I've just realized how much Project5 really spoiled me when it comes to ease of laying down and editing midi tracks... The overall workflow of P5 is just soo much easier.. When I first got P5, I didn't have anything to compare it to, so I didn't think much of it.. Now after fooling around with some of the more full fledged DAWs, I see what they mean.

For some reason, Ableton live seems to click more to me than Sonar.. I may end up getting it, and simply continue doing my midi work in Project5, and "Rewire" it to Ableton.

I can kinda vaugely see where it Ableton would make my life alot easier and do cooler things, especially with wav samples and stuff, that Project5 can't even do..Especially now that my songs are actually starting to become songs.. lol

But P5 makes midi sooo easy to work with. I really recommend at least trying out the demo of P5 if you are going to do lots of MIDI work.

Its nice to finally use your computer HW for something other than gaming... :) I substantially cut back vid game playing.

Oh yea, i played the violin in a past life, but not the piano or keyboard.. so I too kinda wished I had better keyboard skills and understanding about some more music theory.

superklye
05-07-07, 04:18 PM
Project5 eh? I've never heard of it, but I've only been in the world of computer music for about a month...maybe a month and a half. I'll have to check it out, but I'm it the process of learning Ableton Live 6 and I have to say I love it.

I got demos of Massive 3, Absynth 4, FM8 and Battery 3 and have a blast just putzing with all the different variables for each preset to see what each does and what kinds of sounds I can come up with.

I also grabbed a ton of specialty magazines at Barnes & Noble (Computer Music Magazine, Virtual Instruments and others) to really try and dive into it.

My Elite Pro has most of the features of the M-Audio cards, but is lacking ProTools support and since it's pretty much the industry standard, I'd very much like to get to learning it.

I'm able to get 9ms with only like 10% CPU usage in all of the programs I'm using, btw. And I believe I have a firewire port or two...

nrdstrm
05-07-07, 04:23 PM
I reccomend using a Motu or Personus Firepod. Both are external sound devices and can have a variety of inputs (from 1, up to 8 channel, and they can be used together to do 16/32 track real time recording). I would recommend Steinberg Nuendo over Pro Tools if your planning on using a PC. Pro tools runs very buggy and slow even on fast systems with lots of ram (in my experience, when applying filters and such)...
My 2 Cents :P

ynnek
05-07-07, 04:24 PM
Hmm, perhaps the elite has better management when it comes to latencies.. My xtrememusic won't go down that far with ASIO at least

Anywhoo, I'm pretty new too.. and did the same thing.. My fav so far is computer music magazine.

its pretty exciting to jump in and mess around on both side.. From a music standpoint.. and also from a geek standpoint.. I got a bunch of stuff and small projects that I messed around.. But now I'm concentrating on a 1 song.. but its going to take a while to i figure out, both musically and technique and technology wise to make it sound like how I want it to sound.

superklye
05-07-07, 04:36 PM
I reccomend using a Motu or Personus Firepod. Both are external sound devices and can have a variety of inputs (from 1, up to 8 channel, and they can be used together to do 16/32 track real time recording). I would recommend Steinberg Nuendo over Pro Tools if your planning on using a PC. Pro tools runs very buggy and slow even on fast systems with lots of ram (in my experience, when applying filters and such)...
My 2 Cents :P
Hmm...really? Damn. :(

What about Cubase 4? I messed with SX3 a while back and I've got the demo of 4, but I've stopped installing all these DAWs because I was spreading myself WAY too thin. I need to learn the basics of all this in a single DAW and then expand. Ableton is supposed to be incredibly awesome, powerful and n00b friendly and I got it for free with my MIDI controller so there it is. :D

superklye
05-07-07, 04:37 PM
Hmm, perhaps the elite has better management when it comes to latencies.. My xtrememusic won't go down that far with ASIO at least

Anywhoo, I'm pretty new too.. and did the same thing.. My fav so far is computer music magazine.

its pretty exciting to jump in and mess around on both side.. From a music standpoint.. and also from a geek standpoint.. I got a bunch of stuff and small projects that I messed around.. But now I'm concentrating on a 1 song.. but its going to take a while to i figure out, both musically and technique and technology wise to make it sound like how I want it to sound.
I definitely know what you mean. I've written down some synth presets alongw ith the settings I created for future use. Simply hearing some random synth sound has done wonders to spark my creativity. I've got a ton of bass and guitar riffs written to that have yet to turn into something so hopefully with the magic of synth, I can come up with somethig. :D

I know the X-Fi has higher quality/more powerful DACs than the rest of the X-Fi lineup, so maybe that's why I've got such low latencies?