PDA

View Full Version : AGP Disabled!?

Pages : [1] 2

RageHeart
03-24-03, 11:48 AM
I recently noticed that the AGP tab of the det drivers shows as having AGP disabled! (ie. running @ AGP 1x)

Tyan s2390 MB (4x Via AGP active in bios)

Via 4in1 4.46
800 mhz Athlon
384 MB Ram
Asylm Ti4200 128mb agp
Nvidia Det. 43.30

HELP!
... any ideas why this would happen?

stncttr908
03-24-03, 11:53 AM
Running 98? My AGP was in PCI mode, reformatted, installed XP, and it works fine now. I tried all kinds of things, and nothing besides a new OS worked.

RageHeart
03-24-03, 12:03 PM
I guess I should have said... I run Win 2k Pro SP4 (beta)

vampireuk
03-24-03, 01:05 PM
hmm where to put this, eeny meeny miny mo

btw when I get this wrong put it in the right spot:D

Mr. T
03-28-03, 05:14 AM
I have the same issue as RageHeart, and i'm running XP Pro.
I did a clean install of XP, just to see if it changed from PCI to AGP in the drivers, but with no luck.:(
I still beleive that i currently DO run in AGP mode, despite what ever the drivers tell me?
BUT, in case the drivers ARE right, I would sure like to see a huge boost in my benchmarks. :D

Myrmecophagavir
03-28-03, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by RageHeart
I recently noticed that the AGP tab of the det drivers shows as having AGP disabled! (ie. running @ AGP 1x)AGP 1x is still AGP, it's not disabled.

What does 3DMark's System Info tool tell you?

Mr. T
03-28-03, 12:53 PM
Myrmecophagavir; You have a point there. I just thought when the drivers said AGP disabled thet meant it..hehe?
In 3DMark 2001SE i read these settings;
Display Devices/Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4400/Total AGP Memory: 0 bytes
Motherboard Info/AGP Capabilities: Revision 2.0, Rate: 1x, 2x, 4x
Aperture Size: 128 MB Sideband Addressing: supported(disabled)
Fast Write: Supported(disabled)

I hope these settings are the right ones? My motherboard is ASUS P4PE, and i see nowhere in BIOS the settings for Fast Write, so i'm a bit curious to know how 3DMark can see it's disabled??

So many strange things going on in my comp. :rolleyes:

Myrmecophagavir
03-31-03, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr. T
Motherboard Info/AGP Capabilities:
Revision 2.0
Rate: 1x, 2x, 4x
Aperture Size: 128 MB
Sideband Addressing: supported(disabled)
Fast Write: Supported(disabled)Doesn't the AGP rate string tell you which is currently enabled? I guess that does mean it's disabled if not. What happens if you pick different AGP settings? Have you got the latest mobo drivers? What happens if you change your AGP aperture size to say 64 MB?

Mr. T
03-31-03, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Myrmecophagavir
Doesn't the AGP rate string tell you which is currently enabled? I guess that does mean it's disabled if not. What happens if you pick different AGP settings? Have you got the latest mobo drivers? What happens if you change your AGP aperture size to say 64 MB?

Do you mean the AGP rate string in bios? And yes, i have the latest (final)bios too. What does Aperture size mean? I ran some benchies in 3DMark 2001SE with these bios settings;
AGP 1x aperture size 64;
AGP 1x aperture size 256;
AGP 4x aperture size 256;

I must say that i was hoping to see a larger differense between 1x and 4x AGP?
I can read the correct setting in 3DMark's system info when i run in 1x AGP, but it says 1x 2x 4x when running in 4x, so i guess this is just an indication of what my graphic card supports right?
I still read AGP disapled in my Detonator driver settings panel, whether i run in 1 or 4x AGP in bios?
I'm still trying to learn here, but i beleive something is fishy around my readings? :mad:

Myrmecophagavir
03-31-03, 07:18 PM
I meant the string in 3DMark's sys info. Mine says

Rate: 1x, 2x, 4x (4x enabled)

So I was assuming yours would say 1x, 2x, 4x (1x enabled) if it was indeed on 1x.

AGP rate setting makes much less difference than you'd think. I'm stumped now anyway, perhaps it's a BIOS issue. Check with Asus' support.

Mr. T
04-01-03, 04:09 AM
Yes, you're right...something is fishy, and it can be a bios thingy?
Perhaps i should give the beta bios a test run? I'm not happy when using beta bios, but then again it could turn out to be a success right? Hopefully!! :D
Thx. again for your help there mate. Appreciate ;)

Myrmecophagavir
04-01-03, 03:42 PM
Oh one more thing to check I suppose - when you run DXDiag, is everything enabled in the DirectX Features panel?

Mr. T
04-01-03, 04:12 PM
DXDiag? What's that?

Myrmecophagavir
04-01-03, 07:53 PM
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Start -> Run -> dxdiag.

Mr. T
04-02-03, 04:02 AM
Thanks again. ;)
The only AGP thingy in DxDiag i found was under: Display/DirectX Features;
DirectDraw Acceleration : Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration : Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

I think the AGP Texture Acceleration is interesting, wouldn't you think?

R.Carter
04-02-03, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr. T
I think the AGP Texture Acceleration is interesting, wouldn't you think?

I'd guess that your AGP Aperature is too small. Go into your BIOS and set the AGP Aperature to 128MB and see if that fixes the problem.

Mr. T
04-02-03, 10:18 AM
It's set to 256MB.

DaveW
04-02-03, 11:18 AM
Reinstall your motherboard's AGP driver!

Mr. T
04-02-03, 11:40 AM
Forgive me my stupidity, but HOW to i do that exactly?? :confused:

joltcola
04-06-03, 05:08 PM
Not knowing anything of anything, I would probably head over to the mobo's manufuacturer website, and see if they have any releases that targets AGP issues. Check the manual and such.

I just noticed that your question didn't get a responce, just trying to help out

-- jolt

walkndude
04-06-03, 07:53 PM
The agp driver is contained id the via 4n1 package. I would actually recommend using version 4.35 as some have had problems with subsequent releases.

If you go to via's website you'll have no problem finding the files and there is a pretty good support forum there as well.

just uninstall your display drivers and install the generic vga adapter, then the 4n1's(you can install just the vga driver if you wish), then re-install your favorite dets...

select 4x in the bios a set your agp to 64mb to start. You may also wish to keep fastwrites and sba disabled to begin with as these can cause funkyness with win98 and certain driver sets for some.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes...

b.t.w, as jolt said you may wish to vivsit the mobo manufacture's website and check for bios upgrades...

Mr. T
04-08-03, 07:39 AM
Thx. a million for your reply's joltcola & walkndude!! ;)
I'll give it a shot later.

joltcola
04-08-03, 09:24 PM
=)

let us know how it turned out.. if walkndude info helped.

- jolt

nIghtorius
04-14-03, 08:58 AM
Actually you shouldn't install the Via 4 in 1 drivers since they are meant for a VIA chipset. since you have a P4PE (just like me). I would recommend the following chipset drivers (including AGP drivers)

I recommend: Intel INF Update Utility..

Your motherboard contains the Intel 845PE chipset;

found at:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/5013/eng/infinst_enu.zip

these are the correct drivers for your motherboard and are valid for Microsoft Windows® 98, Me, 2000, XP Pro/Home..

I hope that this will help you with your problem..

Mr. T
04-14-03, 09:40 AM
HOLY CHRIST nIghtorius!!! That Intel app. sure did the job!!:D
Everything is 4xAGP now, and i just ran 3DMark2001 SE. Ready? hehe.
Before; 9399
After ; 13329!!!

I just got myself a new puter, or at least it feels like it hehe. :D
Thank you so much to all you guys who helped me out here, i TOTALLY APPRECIATE all your efforts and suggestions.

Cheers.

p.s. damn, this is a good day hehehe.:D