PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell 5 has died

Pages : [1] 2

Knot3D
05-04-07, 11:17 PM
Splinter Cell : Conviction is dead for me now.

Just look at these screenshots : http://www.gamer.nl/doc/39001

Copy-pasted game premise description : Fundamental changes in the world of Splinter Cell lead to the events of Double Agent. Sam has begun to lose faith in the NSA and in his employer, Third Echelon, the special intelligence and information warfare sub-agency within the NSA. As such, Sam has distanced himself from Third Echelon and is ready to call it quits with the agent mumbo jumbo he so detests.

In the beginning of Conviction, Sam gets a hold of information concerning a danger that threatens one of his long-time co-workers, Anna Grimsdottir, familiar from the previous Splinter Cells. In order to help Anna, Sam returns to Third Echelon's paycheck but soon realizes that the agency is but a mere ghost of what it used to be. The once effective counterterrorism agency has been nearly crippled by incompetency, bureaucracy, and bull**** (sorry, I forgot what the last word was).

The current situation within the agency is evident in the complications Sam faces during the first missions of Conviction: information is inaccurate, Sam has been given unsuitable gear, and the situations requiring fast and decisive action are missed by the bickering of the bosses about authoritive statuses and the course of action.

As it soon becomes evident that the tracks of the danger threatening Anna lead directly to Third Echelon, Sam quits the government job and decides to save Anna on his own. This decision turns out to be fatal, as Sam is declared a fugitive --

The former special agent has now become an outlaw.

The people at Ubisoft admit that the twist in the story was created to flesh-out the character of Sam Fisher; the cold, government puppet, familiar from the previous Splinter Cells, didn't provide enough ground for understanding and sympathy. Instead, the Sam who left behind the agency and became a fugitive is a much more elaborate and humane character, being driven by his own feelings and goals."

It sounds if they just copy pasted the Assassin's Creed Ai into SC.

All daytime gameplay in domestic public places ? And they dare to call this Splinter Cell, only because there's this game character Sam Fisher in it ? :thumbdwn: BTW, this game will still use a modified UE2.5 engine.

jAkUp
05-04-07, 11:22 PM
Yea, SC was all about sneaking around in the dark, avoiding the light... ah well, I'm sure it will still be good. I just hope they do a good PC Port if it sees the PC.

Amuro
05-04-07, 11:28 PM
Yeah, UBI's latest PC titles all kinda suck, full of bugs, and no widescreen support outta box, etc.

nekrosoft13
05-04-07, 11:28 PM
WTF. looks like ****

and they really ****ed up the story

toxikneedle
05-04-07, 11:29 PM
sigh.... wtf are they doing to my fav game series. Based on the info this is gonna be just as bad as SCDA

Bad_Boy
05-04-07, 11:43 PM
The lighting looks great. Other than that not really impressive.

Knot3D
05-04-07, 11:54 PM
From a technical point of viewpoint, the game looks great imo. ( There's still uncertainty about whether the game uses UE2.5 or UE3 or some customized engine )

It will have the social stealth Ai alike Assassin's Creed. It will have fully interactive and (partially ? ) destructible objects & environments (see screenshot with Sam wielding a chair) + new physics & advanced animation blending (also alike Assassin's Creed).

BUT.. To me, Splinter Cell is about playing a covert op doing nighttime missions making use of shadow and lighting conditions.

I was awaiting a next gen SC where enemy Ai can identify casted shadows and to distinguish dark silhouettes against a lit background. SC1,2 and 3 gave us the immersive illusion that those games could do that, but by now i had expected the real thing.

But noes... Ubi cannot be bothered to truly bring core SC gameplay to the next level... so, they put all bets on Sam Fisher's dramatic lifestory and they copy paste half of Assassin's Creed engine into this SC Conviction game.

What a ****ing letdown of the day :(

*edit : more pictures here : http://www.jeux-france.com/news20072_splinter-cell-conviction-annonce.html

H3avyM3tal
05-05-07, 04:15 AM
Looks like Sam is getting a "Jack Bouer" treatment...

SebC
05-05-07, 04:49 AM
I think this change will be quite refreshing actually :)
Some of the screens look a bit cartoonish, maybe because of scan quality though.

Peoples-Agent
05-05-07, 05:18 AM
I personally like the change, Splinter Cell to me now just reads as "boring".

ATI_Dude
05-05-07, 06:09 AM
I personally like the change, Splinter Cell to me now just reads as "boring".

QFT. It was about time they went for substantial changes in gameplay.

Quickstar
05-05-07, 01:41 PM
As long as they use some kind of physics' animation like euphoria, then I'll be happy.

NaitoSan
05-05-07, 01:50 PM
wow looks good and yeah i like the change they're going through with splinter cell. i never was into splinter cell myself but hopefully this change will help and expand more possiblities.

Jack Bouer, hehe...

slick
05-05-07, 05:33 PM
Well, it's an odd number SC, meaning it's being developed by Ubi Montreal, meaning it should (hopefully) be good. I like the look of the graphics engine. Very source-esque. It really is time SC branched out anyways. We'll see if it works I guess.

|MaguS|
05-05-07, 05:43 PM
I don't know... I like the change of it being not only in a dark enviroment or him with the ultimate gear. The SC series has become stale in my opinion since it never really changed much.

GamerGuyX
05-05-07, 11:56 PM
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Then again, I'm not the most hardcore SC fan out there.

Geordan
05-06-07, 11:02 AM
FINALLY!!

I have been waiting for Splinter Cell to go this direction for ages.

This is basically the first game to try and mimic the Bourne movies and I am so pumped I can't even handle it. This is what secret agent games should be.

Interactive environments, crowd camouflage etc.

I can't effing wait.

Realistically this was the only way splinter cell could go. Some hardcore fans who liked the shadow gameplay are going to whine and moan endlessly, but think about the feeling you get when you watch the Bourne Supremacy or read the book and compare that to past Splinter Cell games. The games don't hold up one bit.

This is the best video game news in a long time. Unless they push Assassins Creed Release to the end of this month or something sweet like that.

Geordan
05-06-07, 11:07 AM
Sam totally jacked Jim Halperts wardrobe from The Office.

long coat, messenger bag, foofy hair, although I'm not too sure about those flared jeans. Sam tell me you haven't gone metro, or got a job with Apple. Please.

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 01:32 PM
Well , better get the 360s ready, because its not coming to the PS3 im afraid.

|MaguS|
05-06-07, 02:11 PM
Well , better get the 360s ready, because its not coming to the PS3 im afraid.

Not coming to any other system (no PC version) it was announced exclusive over a year ago...

JohnDio
05-09-07, 03:41 PM
Splinter Cell turns out to be Hitman,lol :p

Not coming to any other system (no PC version) it was announced exclusive over a year ago...

Actually,Peter Moore at E3 stated that the new SC game would appear exclusively to X360 and PC. But then again,Ubisoft said in the latest announcement that it's exclusively to X360 and didn't mention a PC version. I still think though that this "exclusive" term is for the console market only which means that there will be a PC version

Knot3D
05-09-07, 04:01 PM
FINALLY!!

I have been waiting for Splinter Cell to go this direction for ages.

This is basically the first game to try and mimic the Bourne movies and I am so pumped I can't even handle it.

Yeah, go lap it up because Ubi couldn't be bothered to shell out for the Bourne license.

True SC fans will go elsewhere. I hope Conviction sales bomb and Assassin's Creed will stomp it bigtime. Besides, we don't hear MGS fans getting sick n tired of 20 years Metal Gear, do we ? At least Konami has the spine to keep true to it's roots and not betray it's loyal customers.

DivisioN
05-10-07, 02:44 AM
I love it! Seems like its turning out to be a double agent concept done right (being on the other side of the law etc.).
Oh and who said that there wont be any night levels? Look closely at screen number 4. That is definitely a night level, so is number 6, but its hard to tell.

Lastly borne movies are sh1t I sincerely hope the game will have as little to do with them as possible.

BioHazZarD
05-10-07, 04:57 AM
Wow that sure looks dull and boring, Sam looks like a jackass its not him anymore.. and wtf daylight? that really sucks SC is all about darkness and sneaking. nah ill skip it ubisoft screwed up with double agent and will even more with this one.

Peoples-Agent
05-10-07, 07:08 AM

Not even a PC version? wtf ...crazy