PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 3 Crashes with 8800 and VIsta -Fix

jdspinna
05-05-07, 01:42 PM
In case anyone has crashing issues with the Spiderman 3 on Vista 32-Bit with an 8800, the 158.18 and the 158.28 beta drivers cause the game to crash. The game played until I got to the city and then crashed. After that the game crashed everytime during the first level load. After installing older drivers the game is working fine.

I've seen a few people so far having this issue so I just thought I'd post this.

jdspinna
05-05-07, 02:06 PM
Add the 165.01 to the list. Forgot to mention the 7.15.11.65 driver is the one that's working.

stncttr908
05-05-07, 02:09 PM
Dual boot XP and Vista FTW. Maybe with both I'll be able to play all my games. :rolleyes:

Hambone
05-05-07, 03:29 PM
Dual boot XP and Vista FTW. Maybe with both I'll be able to play all my games. :rolleyes:

Look... unfounded sarcasim, the mark of stupidity.

I've installed and played about 30 game now since Vista came out. In all this time I've had one single crash during a game (NWN2) and that was a one time thing that did not repeat itself.

I have Spiderman 3 but having had time to install it yet. I'll do that a bit later and report back. How long does it take from game start to get to the point where it crashes for you jdspinna?

jdspinna
05-05-07, 03:48 PM
Same here Hambone. I've had great results running Vista only so far.

The first time the game crashed it was right when the first training level ended. The level is very short about 5 -10 minutes I would say. But, once it crashed it would crash everytime the first training level would load. Also, it's the video driver that quits responding when the game crashes. One problem with the older driver is that the game stutters like hell in certain areas. No rhyme or reason for it.

I have read that the 158.22 drivers actually fixes the stutter issue on windows XP. I assume this issue will probably be taken care of in the next driver release.

Hambone
05-05-07, 05:03 PM
Well it works perfectly for me. I got through the tutorial and into the city where I completed two missions. No crashes at all.

Wow - nice game! And it looked amazing. I was happy to see you are completly free to sling around in the city (no web points,etc - free)

I played at 1680x1050 with x4 FSAA and Medium Detail. I mean to go back and give High graphics options a try. It ran smooth on medium at least.

I'm using the 158.18 drivers

8800GTS
E6600
EVGA 680i
Vista Home Premium 32b.

So it would seem to be something specific to your intall or motherboard I guess. Chipset drivers maybe, or crap left over from one of the GPU driver change outs?

Good Luck.

kevJ420
05-05-07, 05:20 PM
Well it works perfectly for me. I got through the tutorial and into the city where I completed two missions. No crashes at all.

Wow - nice game! And it looked amazing. I was happy to see you are completly free to sling around in the city (no web points,etc - free)

I played at 1680x1050 with x4 FSAA and Medium Detail. I mean to go back and give High graphics options a try. It ran smooth on medium at least.

I'm using the 158.18 drivers

8800GTS
E6600
EVGA 680i
Vista Home Premium 32b.

So it would seem to be something specific to your intall or motherboard I guess. Chipset drivers maybe, or crap left over from one of the GPU driver change outs?

Good Luck.
Play it in high detail and use 16q aa plus trss, 16 af and high quality texture filtering the driver cp.

jdspinna
05-05-07, 06:46 PM
Let me know what happens when you run it on high details. That's when the crashing started for me.

I've seen some other people post the same extact issue on other forums without a solution. It only seems to be newer video drivers than the one's I posted up top there that are crashing this game. I haven't had an issue with anything other games.

BTW My motherboard is also the EVGA 680i.

jdspinna
05-06-07, 11:20 AM
I figured out the game only crashes with the new drivers with any AA on. Doesn't matter if it's enabled in game or in the control panel.

nekrosoft13
05-06-07, 12:11 PM
same here, it was working fine with defualt settings, then i went into options changed averything to max, now it crashes all the time

nekrosoft13
05-06-07, 12:12 PM
do your part and post here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html

jdspinna
05-06-07, 12:19 PM
do your part and post here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html

Done.

Crow_Nest
05-08-07, 11:38 PM
I have a similar problem, execpt im running on XP and a 7900GT with forceware 101.09. I can play the game, but it crashes after every few minutes of play. It happens randomly. The whole screen turns black and later it brings me back to my desktop with the usual "This program has encountered an illegal operation" crap. The color screwed is up at 4-bit and 800x600 res (Cant bring it back up, both color and res) and i HAVE to reboot. I cant progress like this. Also tried running on different video settings, doesnt seem to make any difference.

My full specs is in my sig.

8800gtsfan
05-08-07, 11:55 PM
Look... unfounded sarcasim, the mark of stupidity.

I've installed and played about 30 game now since Vista came out. In all this time I've had one single crash during a game (NWN2) and that was a one time thing that did not repeat itself.

I have Spiderman 3 but having had time to install it yet. I'll do that a bit later and report back. How long does it take from game start to get to the point where it crashes for you jdspinna?

You clearly haven't played stalker in vista either. Without the -noprefetch switch its a constant CTD session that works fine in XP.

Crow_Nest
05-09-07, 02:49 AM
Ok looks like i fixed mine. All i did was downloaded the newly released 160.03 from guru3d and didnt crash after that.

nekrosoft13
05-09-07, 06:46 AM
i will try the same driver on vista, and see if it helps

nekrosoft13
05-11-07, 10:41 PM
i found a fix that worked for me

simply make a profile for the game, and set AA to APP controlled, and problem solved

then set AA to max in game, for some reason game will crash of AA is set to overwrite