PDA

View Full Version : 965p or 975x or p35 or nforce for core2?

Jon
05-05-07, 05:05 PM
Sorry for yet another which intel motherboard thread. But at the moment my head is spinning. I have the same idea as most other people in that in about 4 weeks time I want to upgrade and am looking at the intel quad cores.

I've always gone AMD so am worried about grabbing the wrong intel board.

The store I usually buy my computer stuff from has a choice of 965p, 975x, p35, nforce 650, nforce 680 and intel 945p thrown in for good luck.

Common sense tells me to go for the P35 as its newer and should last me longer... but I've always liked Nforce boards. I've read various reviews of the different chipsets, but can't really see a clear winner.

I don't want to overclock, never use SLI and have an xfi so don't care about onboard sound... can anyone help me choose a chipset?

Banko
05-05-07, 05:15 PM
If you don't want to use SLi, use any Intel Chipset, far more stable and even though you don't overclock, they do overclock better.

I just upgraded to a Core 2 Duo but as you can see I overclocked, so I got myself the DFI Infinity 965-S dark.

Grab any 975x or 965 chipset and you'll be fine IMO.

Dazz
05-06-07, 11:07 AM
If you are going to wait might as well wait for AMD's new Phantom X4 processor.

Banko
05-06-07, 11:10 AM
If you are going to wait might as well wait for AMD's new Phantom X4 processor.
It doesn't seem like he is going to wait that long.... Considering you can buy the P35 pretty soon.

Jon
05-06-07, 11:52 AM
My local store has P35 boards in stock right now:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-235-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=913

I was going to wait for the AMD quad cores... but even if they do release them this year, new cpus usually start out at a premium price... so I reckon it'll be a long wait before I can afford one... and thats if AMD don't push back the release date.

Intels quad cores are rapidly coming down in price... and give it another 4-6 weeks and I'm sure they'll be even lower.

Was looking at the Xeon quad core:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-149-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=793

Dazz
05-06-07, 12:57 PM
Yeah i was thinking of the Xeon X3210 as it's pretty cheap. Just really skint at the moment.