PDA

View Full Version : Sticker is coming off the back of my 8800 GTX... HELP!!!

Madpistol
05-05-07, 10:47 PM
I know this isn't a technical question, but it's still really important, considering that the serial number sticker on the back of video cards is the lifeline for those cards if they should ever go out.

So... what do I need to do?

I could pull it off and stick it on a notecard so I can send it with the video card in case I ever need to RMA it.

-OR-

I could get some tape (or some other adhesive) and put the sticker back on the card. I could use either tape or some kind of glue to do that. Would there be any kind of negative repercussions from doing this?

Which option would be best? Are there any other options I haven't listed?

Xion X2
05-05-07, 11:11 PM
I would say report it to the vendor so that they have this on record. They'll probably note it on your account so it'll be there for future reference should you ever need to return the card. They'll know what to do.

Blacklash
05-05-07, 11:19 PM
You could ask customer service if moving it to the front of the cooler would be acceptable if you are using the stock solution. It would likely stay on an area of that flat plastic well. If you did need tape to secure it well, it would be a non-issue there. Take great care if you do move it as they are prone to break apart.

Slammin
05-05-07, 11:19 PM
I know this isn't a technical question, but it's still really important, considering that the serial number sticker on the back of video cards is the lifeline for those cards if they should ever go out.

So... what do I need to do?

I could pull it off and stick it on a notecard so I can send it with the video card in case I ever need to RMA it.

-OR-

I could get some tape (or some other adhesive) and put the sticker back on the card. I could use either tape or some kind of glue to do that. Would there be any kind of negative repercussions from doing this?

Which option would be best? Are there any other options I haven't listed?

Are you serious?

Amuro
05-05-07, 11:47 PM
stick it to a plastic wrap of some sort, and keep it in a safe place. In the event of RMA, put the sticker back to the card before sending it back.

Madpistol
05-06-07, 01:02 AM
Are you serious?

Dead serious. I was blowing off some of the dust on the back of my card, and wouldn't you know it... 1/2 the sticker tried to come off too. It needs to be moved or resecured before it gets totally ripped off. There is nothing worse than a video card that doesn't have a S/N sticker. (well there is, but not for a video card... especially a $600 one at that.)

ViN86
05-06-07, 02:14 AM
Are you serious?
youve obviously never RMA'd a video card.

if you ever end up RMA'ing youre eVGA card (hope you never do, but in the case that you do have to RMA) youll find that that little sticker on the back of the card is pretty important :)

Slammin
05-06-07, 10:00 AM
That really sucks. Now that I think about it, I do remember someone else saying that their sticker got sucked into the gpu cooler fan, causing the fan to fail, and he had a hard time RMA'ing because he had no sticker!

Yes, that's just crappy but maybe you could do something like apply fingernail hardener to the 4 corners of the sticker, just a small dot to each.

Madpistol
05-06-07, 10:09 AM
Found this:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27287&SearchTerms=sticker

Not sure if it's any help, but it looks like just storing the sticker in a safe place is the best bet.

|MaguS|
05-06-07, 10:14 AM
Hell my front sticker is coming off... you know the nice evga decal... ****ing card gets so hot it all peels off on its own, lol.

kevJ420
05-06-07, 04:28 PM
Does evga always send you back a new card when you rma a defective one?

I consider warranties that only give back refurbished products to be a complete waste. I don't know why places have to do that.

Something that's refurbished is just likely going to break again.

Madpistol
05-06-07, 06:59 PM
Does evga always send you back a new card when you rma a defective one?

I consider warranties that only give back refurbished products to be a complete waste. I don't know why places have to do that.

Something that's refurbished is just likely going to break again.

But it works for the time being, which means the life is prolonged a little.

Count your blessings. They don't have to support it at all.

kevJ420
05-06-07, 08:15 PM
But it works for the time being, which means the life is prolonged a little.

Count your blessings. They don't have to support it at all.

Why doesn't evga send back new cards?