PDA

View Full Version : wtf is with Xbox Live?

superklye
05-06-07, 01:52 AM
I was on before, playing around a bit, turned off the console, fired it back up and suddenly, for NO REASON AT ALL, my profile is corrupted.

So I go to recover gamer tag and ever ****ing time I go through the process of putting in my tag, email and password, it says Xbox live cannot be reached. Even though the network setup goes through and connects to everything perfectly.

wtf is this bull****? Has this happened to anyone else and what did you have to do? I tried calling but I missed them by 7 god damned minutes. I'm so ****ing pissed right now I can't even put it into words. This is absolutely retarded and ridiculous.

superklye
05-06-07, 02:53 AM
Whatever. I made a new account and it logs in just fine. I'm so glad that all of my Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Gears of War savepoints and accomplishments were for naught and that I have to start all over in all of them.

This entire day ended up just being a complete waste. I can't even say it was fun, because the last 2.5 hours of bull**** sucked all of that right out.

I'd like to shake the hand of whatever genius decided only storing savegames to profiles, instead of a backup to the HDD in case a situation like this arose. Brilliant thinking, really.

1337_Like_ThaT
05-06-07, 03:07 AM
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1104/mcownedhj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Slash310
05-06-07, 03:09 AM
this hasn't happened to me but damn that sucks.

kev13dd
05-06-07, 04:34 AM
Hasn't happened to me either yet. But it is nice that when I transfered to a new Xbox my saves were all intact for GoW, so at times you might come to appreciate having the profile saved on some Microsoft server

Plus, some games DO save games to the hard drive. I think it's pretty much up to the game developer isn't it? Plus I think part of the reason they do it the way some games do it (such as GoW) is so that people can't fake achievements by putting files onto the hard drive or what not. Pretty sure anything achievement oriented is never ganna be saved to the HD

I do agree that it's odd you can't back it up to the hard drive though. Can your new profile connect to Xbox Live? I always thought that you only had one profile that was connected to your Xbox Live account

K

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 04:52 AM
Whatever. I made a new account and it logs in just fine. I'm so glad that all of my Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Gears of War savepoints and accomplishments were for naught and that I have to start all over in all of them.

This entire day ended up just being a complete waste. I can't even say it was fun, because the last 2.5 hours of bull**** sucked all of that right out.

I'd like to shake the hand of whatever genius decided only storing savegames to profiles, instead of a backup to the HDD in case a situation like this arose. Brilliant thinking, really.

Sometimes this sort of stuff can happen around the time an update is due, which would be Monday 7th May.

What doesn't make sense is that you couldn't access your game saves, even without XB Live on you should still be able to, like when you disconnect the net from the 360, you can still play offline as such.

npras42
05-06-07, 10:08 AM
Sometimes this sort of stuff can happen around the time an update is due, which would be Monday 7th May.

What doesn't make sense is that you couldn't access your game saves, even without XB Live on you should still be able to, like when you disconnect the net from the 360, you can still play offline as such.

Yes, but since he's created a new profile with a new gamertag he won't be able to use his new profile to play the saves he made for the other profile. i.e. save games on all the games I've played are tied to the profile you are using (I think).

It is pretty annoying because I was playing GoW with my housemate and for some stupid reason all the Co-op achievments we got were added to his profile in addition to the standard level complete achievements. So for every level we did, he got two sets of achievements and I only got one, which is ridiculous.

I then tried to go through some levels on my own, to see what they were like but realised all the save games were saved on his profile too... I couldn't believe it. I must've logged in as the wrong account primarily or something.

I tried to work out whether you could merge the profiles but no luck... seems MS are more worried about people artificially inflating their gamerscores than letting people manage their accounts as they like.

superklye
05-06-07, 12:09 PM
Awesome! I called Microsoft and spent 30 minutes on the phone only to find out that it must be my modem that's causing the problem.

Because I'm able to connect to Xbox Live with another account, I pass the network settings test completely and am able to everything BUT recover a gamertag, it MUST be the modem that's at fault here.

Whatever. I only lost 160 points.

Lyme
05-06-07, 12:15 PM
seems MS are more worried about people artificially inflating their gamerscores than letting people manage their accounts as they like.

I wonder why http://achieve360points.com/

Lyme
05-06-07, 12:17 PM
Awesome! I called Microsoft and spent 30 minutes on the phone only to find out that it must be my modem that's causing the problem.

Because I'm able to connect to Xbox Live with another account, I pass the network settings test completely and am able to everything BUT recover a gamertag, it MUST be the modem that's at fault here.

That is pretty wacked.. I'd send them a email (kindly worded) about the issue as well. It it were the modem's fault, you would not be able to use either account.

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 02:58 PM

On the network test, is your NAT showing up as strict, restricted or whatever it says or Open?

Enabling uPNP on my router / modem fixed alot of XB Live quarms I use to have.

Dr.Nick
05-06-07, 04:04 PM
This happened to both xbox's in the house two nights ago(i think it Friday). Both came up as corrupted when trying to log on. The fix was to reboot my router and delete the profile(do not delete the game saves along with it; it will ask you) and download it again. Make sure NAT is not coming up Strict as it will cause problems.

superklye
05-06-07, 05:06 PM
yeah, the NAT was open. Everything passed and was gold'n. It just got completely ****ed up.

But whatever, it's cool. I've almost got all my points back now so I don't really care anymore.

TiKiMaN1
05-07-07, 12:22 PM
yeah, the NAT was open. Everything passed and was gold'n. It just got completely ****ed up.

But whatever, it's cool. I've almost got all my points back now so I don't really care anymore.

So Kyle have you setup a gold account yet?:D

superklye
05-07-07, 12:31 PM
Nope, not yet.

And I think I figured out what the problem was...I was downloading the C&C3 demo, but stopped it (or it stopped) when I fired up GoW. After I shut down and powered back up, the download restarted and was running in the background so I forgot about it. Then, when I shut down again a little ways later while the download was still going, it FUBAR'd everything.

There are warnings on the download screen about not turning off the console or removing the storage device. It's the only thing that makes sense. Sigh...oh well. I got my points back and then some, but still. That sucks. :(

Tygerwoody
05-07-07, 01:54 PM
Shoulda bought a PS3

thor1182
05-07-07, 02:01 PM
pfffffffffffffffft

superklye
05-07-07, 02:06 PM
Shoulda bought a PS3
I have enough paperweights.

Lyme
05-07-07, 06:37 PM
I have enough paperweights.

Ya, but how many of your paperweights attract dust like a ps3?

superklye
05-07-07, 08:11 PM
:rofl

Tygerwoody
05-07-07, 11:22 PM
Exactly :D