PDA

View Full Version : Odd stuttering in Q4 in Vista Ultimate x64...

Redeemed
05-06-07, 07:27 AM
Sorry, wasn't sure which forum to put this in. But since it is about a game I figured the gaming forum was appropriate.

I don't know if this is a problem with Quake or a problem with Vista. My specs are in my sig. Obviously my computer is beefy enough to play Quake4 with everything maxed. But for some reason I get this annoying stuttering as if the computer has to continually load and unload stuff into memory. Is this just a Vista issue not liking OpenGL much, or is it something with Quake? Anybody else experience this stuttering. I could play the game as is, but it really kills the immersion factor. Oh, and I have the 1.3 Patch installed as well, Vista is also completely up to date, and I'm using the 158.18 forceware drivers aswell.

Thanks in advance. :D

Redeemed
05-06-07, 11:53 AM
Well, I dropped the texture quality down from "Ultra" to "High" and it solved the issue. This shouldn't be a problem as my GTS has 640MB of RAM- more than enough for what is required to use the "Ultra" setting. Well, I was using 8xAA, Gamma Corrected AA, as well as Transparency Multisampling AA- so maybe I did run out of space in the frame buffer. Hmm... but I also have 2GB of DDR500 ram- I was under the impression that whatever didn't fit into the frame buffer was stored in the system RAM. Is that not correct?

MowTin
05-07-07, 01:21 AM
COH had a similar issue in Vista. If you set textures to Ultra frame rates dropped to a crawl but on High everything was fine.

I'm sick of these weird Vista/Nvidia issues. I moved bf2142 and TDU back to xp and everything is much better.

See if it runs better on XP.

jAkUp
05-07-07, 01:40 AM
Ultra Quality does use close to 512MB of texture memory, so you may have been running into a frame buffer limitation.

Doesn't really matter though, Ultra and High look nearly identical. Ultra just removes all compression of textures.

And yes, anything that doesn't fit into framebuffer should bleed over to your system memory, then finally your hard disk. Obviously both those options are much, much slower than the memory found on the graphics card.

Redeemed
05-07-07, 05:11 AM
Ultra Quality does use close to 512MB of texture memory, so you may have been running into a frame buffer limitation.

Doesn't really matter though, Ultra and High look nearly identical. Ultra just removes all compression of textures.

And yes, anything that doesn't fit into framebuffer should bleed over to your system memory, then finally your hard disk. Obviously both those options are much, much slower than the memory found on the graphics card.

The odd thing is, back with my two 7600GTs I was running 2GB of value DDR400 ram- and I could play Q4 at the Ultra setting just fine. :( Granted, I was using a lot lower AA (2xQ w/ 7600GTs vs. 8xAA w/GTS) but still the resolution and all other in-game options were the same. I even had a slower proc (s754 3400). I'm wondering if it also might have something to do with both the drivers and Vista.

CaptNKILL
05-07-07, 06:54 AM
Its stuttering because you touch yourself at night.